Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/16/2006 8:36:33 AM EDT
I just bought the upper for my newest build used from the EE.  My build was going to be a middy, but I found a great deal on a carbine upper.  The handguards that came with it are the regular plastic round carbine handguards.  However, they have no metal shields in them like the ones I've seen online.

They look like they never had any notches cut to hold the shields in either.  I guess I need to buy a set with shields, but why would these have no shields at all and seemingly have never had them?

Thanks!  
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 4:59:10 PM EDT
[#1]
they are olympic parts

are they light grey in color
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 5:01:35 PM EDT
[#2]
Maybe Tapco "Glacier Guards"?
Link Posted: 8/16/2006 7:16:56 PM EDT
[#3]
They are on an Olympic barreled upper, but they are black guards.  Nope, they're not Glacier guards - those are fat and have the plastic fins.  These look like normal, black carbine (shorter A2) guards with no metal heat shields and no little notches cut to hold them if they were there.

JSE Surplus has some in the "Specials" area with metal shields for $6, and I have them on the way already.    I was just wondering why in the world anyone would want carbine guards (not fat M4 - skinny CAR) with absolutely no heat shields.  I would think they'd melt.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 4:41:31 AM EDT
[#4]
I have a set that came off a Oly upper.  I ended up using them on a 22LR upper, but I need to swap them out when I get a chance.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 5:41:00 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 7:15:49 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks for the info, guys.  I guess Oly Arms thinks we don't need cool hands.    I thought I got a defect pair or something.  Guess not.
Link Posted: 8/17/2006 8:02:41 AM EDT
[#7]
Eeeh, just put some tin foil in it.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:11:43 PM EDT
[#8]
My JSE Surplus CAR closeout $6 handguards showed up Saturday.  They're junk!  No wonder they're getting rid of them and going with a different set.  They are too long to fit my CAR upper at all (1/8" too long) and are made of a cheap, shiny plastic. Luckily, my Oly handguards were easy to cut a little slot in each rib on the inside of them with a dremel tool and diamond disc blade to fit the metal shields inside them.

So, the $6 is for a set of nice aluminum shields in a non-working set of handguards.  Just a warning...

Great shipping, though, from JSE!  I wasn't expecting the package so soon.  
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 8:33:29 PM EDT
[#9]
My handguards don't have metal heat shields.

They also smell like bbq after a few 30 rounders.
Link Posted: 8/20/2006 9:26:04 PM EDT
[#10]
Yeah, I fired the new build this weekend (trying to test function quickly right before a hellacious rain/lightning storm hit).  Those non-shielded handguards got REALLY hot and started smelling like when insulated electrical wire gets hot (smokey plastic).  

I hope the new heat shields help it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 5:51:35 AM EDT
[#11]
 Sell them to a guy that is doing a super LT wt build.
Link Posted: 8/21/2006 1:57:03 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a bunch of the old sets with no sheilds. Never had a problem with them or from heat.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top