Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/17/2004 5:58:10 AM EST
I have what I believe is a CAR Buffer that rattles. I believe it is weighted. Is this a special buffer? It has a hard rubber pinned in end plug. Any info would help as I am some what new to these parts. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:04:06 AM EST
Sounds like a standard CAR buffer to me...mine rattles, but so did my A2 buffer. They all have a bumper on them...
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 6:13:44 AM EST
Thank you for the info.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:30:44 AM EST
The weights on the inside are supposed to have some free movement so that the buffer acts as a dead blow hammer. When the bolt closes, this prevents it from possibly bouncing back open. While not terribly important on a semi it can be disasterous on a MG.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:39:35 AM EST
Yes... more specifically, there are 5 weights in the large rifle buffer, and 3 weights in the CAR buffer. The rattle is normal for the reason stated above.

There are some crappy black plastic buffers filled with BB's. Throw those in the nearest trash can and buy a real buffer.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:30:07 AM EST

Originally Posted By A_Free_Man:
Yes... more specifically, there are 5 weights in the large rifle buffer, and 3 weights in the CAR buffer. The rattle is normal for the reason stated above.

There are some crappy black plastic buffers filled with BB's. Throw those in the nearest trash can and buy a real buffer.

Ahhhh, the dreaded plastic Colt buffers!! Even Colt says they are garbage.
Top Top