Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 5/7/2004 5:40:20 AM EDT
Who makes a flare launcher that will mount to the CAR 15 and where can I buy one.  I would prefer something that will mount to my RAS.  I have seen several that mount to an AR but they mount really low on the rifle.  Is there anything out there that is close to replicating the M203 that the Sopmod comes with?

Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:03:15 AM EDT
[#1]
Yeah mr40mm.com  (Randy Shivak) makes a real M-203 with a sleaved 40mm barrel (sleaved to 37mm and spot welded.)

It costs about $2200.

The 37mm launchers are an ugly joke.  They look like they are built with similar quality to that of a crossman BB-gun.  Better off getting a 37mm flare pistol, if you need to shoot flares, at least your AR will not be adulturated.  
Link Posted: 5/7/2004 11:14:40 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 4:58:14 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
But you can replicate the feel by taping 9 half-pound lead weights to your handguards...

-Troy

That's true.  That's why I got rid of mine.  They are cool to look at though but it makes my AR to heavy  to carry around.

www.37mm.com/suppliers/
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 6:13:37 PM EDT
[#4]
What would the pupose of a "Flare" launcher be? other than a upper body work out and that "Cool Gear" factor. It doesn't seem practical to me, to expiensive to shoot.
Link Posted: 5/8/2004 10:41:57 PM EDT
[#5]
The 37mm flare launchers out there are much more robust than any 203 available.

Quoted:
What would the pupose of a "Flare" launcher be? other than a upper body work out and that "Cool Gear" factor. It doesn't seem practical to me, to expiensive to shoot.

As for purpose or practicality, when was the last time anybody saw a tricked out AR that the shooter really had a use for or was "practical"?

If someone likes it or it has a gee whiz factor to it, people will buy it.

Go grab yourself a 37mm launcher.  and if you wanna know about rail mounted launchers, IM me.  as for mounthing it to a Knights RAS, i think its a bad idea as the lower portion isnt terribly robust compared to a one piece unit like the FF RAS, FIRSH, Predator, etc.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 12:44:37 PM EDT
[#6]
"The 37mm flare launchers out there are much more robust than any 203 available."

I've seen the 203 handguard break and firing pin spring get worn, but other than that I have found no reason to call the 203 weak.  

That is with very abusive use, I find serious reasons to doubt the validity of that comment.

I've seen guys with 100lbrucks on slip and fall with all the impact on the barrel of the 203 with no problem.  From what I have seen it appears that 37mm launchers are cocked with a lever on the side, while the 203 cocks when you slide the barrel forward.  

HEDP makes sense to me, that much weight for flares and smoke is pretty impractical.

For riot use I think the rubber buckshot and beanbag 37mm rounds in a rotary multiple shot launcher make more sense.
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 2:40:46 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
What would the pupose of a "Flare" launcher be?

when was the last time anybody saw a tricked out AR that the shooter really had a use for or was "practical"?

I Know a "tricked out AR isn't really that practical, I thought of including that in my last thread, but What would a person do with a Flare Launcher, Seriously I want to know. An AR that is tricked out, lights, expensive sights (what ever) you can still shoot it cheaply and varmit hunt or target shoot, I suspect if a guy was going to shoot a flare, he had better point it up in the air, or he might as well mount a fire extinguisher to his AR too. I guess an AR isn't practical period, but it is more so than a Flare launcher. Although I would not mind having one independant of my AR just as another cool thing I wasted my money on.

I had that wild hair on time, but it was short lived....... Hell I live in Texas and shit catches on fire with very little help,

To each his own

Topcrest I was going to IM you, concerning you piston uppers, Cool?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:01:13 PM EDT
[#8]
There are beanbag rounds and I think you (if LEO) can get rubber buckshot, buckshot and CS gas, but all of these are in my opinion not used by most who mount these on AR's.

If you need a less leathal launcher, it may be better to get a 37mm stand-alone system with it's own stock so you don't have to point a loaded AR at a person you don't intend to kill.  

37mm is basically a compliance tool for law enforcement, the 40mm can also me offensive.

In the AR mounted role I think the 40mm launcher is more versatile, as they can take, HEDP, buckshot, flechette, CS, smoke, illumination, and (I think) even riot/less lethal ammo.

If you want it for looks just buy a high quality airsoft M203 with Colt marked reciever, it will give you the "right look" (which for anyone who has handled a 203 is not something you will get with a 37mm)
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 3:14:13 PM EDT
[#9]
I did not realize there was that many loads for the 37mm, Are the rubber Bullets, flechettes, and bean bag rounds available to the public? Who sells these things with a stock and grip?
Link Posted: 5/9/2004 5:42:12 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Topcrest I was going to IM you, concerning you piston uppers, Cool?

Roger, standing by...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top