Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/10/2006 12:31:13 PM EDT
Am I the only one who doesn't know the difference between a CAR15 and an M4 model?   Would someone please explain the differences to me?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 12:34:39 PM EDT
[#1]
One is evil and the other one is WORSE!

But BOTH SHOULD BE BANNED FROM CIVILIAN USE!
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 9:38:40 PM EDT
[#2]
That's why I want them!!

I can readily see that the M4 barrel is different.  I have been told that the M4 is stronger and more heavily built to withstand abuse.  It appears that the CAR previously had a 4 position stock while the M4 had a six position, but now the 6 seems prevalent on the CAR, too.  There are so many choices with handguards and optics I don't know/ can't tell what is appropriate for each version.  Does anyone know the main features or specs that are different?
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 10:20:38 PM EDT
[#3]
You are correct, the main difference is the barrel, the barrel thickness in front of the sight of the M4 is thicker and have a mounting notch for the M203 grenade launcher.

The real M4 have 14.5" long barrel, civilian versions are 16" or 14.5" with permanently attached long flash suppressor like a Phantom or Vortex.

M4s have taller 'F' marked front sight base.

The M4 usually have a side sling mount at the front sight mounted on the barrel.

The handguards of the M4 are oval section and fatter with double heat shields.

M4 have enhanced feedramps which are a different angle and longer which extends to the M4 upper receiver.

Colt which mainly supplies the US Military with the M4 have a 4 position M4 stock, other brands have the 6/ 5 position.

Colt Defense M4 website link

Pic link of my LMT 16" M4gery
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top