BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 12/30/2006 8:29:24 AM EDT

A few weeks ago at the range I tried sighing my scope in on my AR.  This gun and scope has always shot very accurately, but was all of a sudden off.  I wasn't even on paper at 100 yards so set up a target at 20.  I was high and right, and after making large adjustments, about 15 clicks down and right (1 click = 1/4 inch at 100 yards), I was pretty close to the same place.  After about 25 rounds and enormous adjustemtns, I was finally in the center, however once in a while a shot would be a few inches off!  And the real strange thing, is when I was dead on at 20 yards, I wasn't even on Paper at 100, and we're talking large paper.

So....solution I thought, buy a new scope.  So I did.  And yesterday, I couldn't even bring it to the center at 20 yards.  Shots were all over the place, inconsistant, wern't responding to adjustments, and sometimes when I adjusted to the right, the shot went further left.  I was with some pretty profficient gun guys and they had no clue what would cause this.  The gun is new, and very well cared for.  Scope is mounted on a scope riser with low profile rings, very tight, just high enough to see over front sight post.  Please help!!!  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:44:42 AM EDT
[#1]
Out of all that, you never mentioned which scopes were used.
If you ruled out everything, like making sure it's mounted securely, etc. it may be the scopes themselves.
The first one, if it went from shooting great to immediately going to hell sounds like your scope might have gone tits up. If you're using low-quality scopes, it's not uncommon.
If you replaced it with another low-quality scope it may already have gone to crap before you even mounted it.

What kind of scopes were they and what mount?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 8:56:37 AM EDT
[#2]
  First scope was a pretty low end Barska scope, with Barska rings.  Riser was a pretty cheap one I got off ebay.  Second scope is an NcSTAR model #SEFS3950R.  The new NcSTAR came with rings, but I am still using the Barska rings.  Should I try the new ones?
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:02:46 AM EDT
[#3]
Cheap scopes and rings are yer problem
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:05:10 AM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:05:26 AM EDT
[#5]
Is your barrel / barrel nut tight?

Take the scope off and shoot at 50 yds with iron sights and see what happens.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:28:18 AM EDT
[#6]
Where do I check my barrel nut?  My friend in the marines said one of their guys had a simalar problem and they found it due to a loose barrel.  
I have taken off the scope riser and the barska rings, and have installed just the new rings, which are just high enough to see over the front post so the riser is not needed.  I will try shooting with the new rings, and also with just the open sights to make sure it is not the gun, and just something with the scope mount.  
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 9:35:26 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
Where do I check my barrel nut?  My friend in the marines said one of their guys had a simalar problem and they found it due to a loose barrel.  
I have taken off the scope riser and the barska rings, and have installed just the new rings, which are just high enough to see over the front post so the riser is not needed.  I will try shooting with the new rings, and also with just the open sights to make sure it is not the gun, and just something with the scope mount.  

Unless the rings you had had obvious weak points or fractures, replacing your rings isn't going to do anything as long as they remain tight. You're using POS scopes, try them on an another rifle (a .22 or something) and see if you have similar issues.

You said your rifle has always shot accurately and then stopped shooting accurately. As long as you haven't been messing with your barrel nut barrel, it's fine. A quick way to check would be to see if the gas tube is pressed one way or another against the hole in the upper receiver.

Your barrel isn't the problem, your rings most likely aren't the problem-the problem is most likely the POS scopes you've been using. Like someone mentioned, shoot it with irons and then try the scopes on another rifle. I'd be willing to bet money that the scopes are the problems.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 1:56:58 PM EDT
[#8]
I talked with my friend that was in the special forces, he said he suspects the barrel nut if both scopes were doing the same thing.  But he did give me a very nice one piece scope mount and scope to try.  I will get up to the range and try that out in the next couple days.  If that's not it, it's probably the barrel nut, and hopefully not something worse.  Let me know if anyone has any other ideas at what this could be
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 4:38:17 PM EDT
[#9]
it's not the barrel nut you nut....it's the shitty scopes you keep using. Neither of those scopes have a good track record for durability. Sounds like you just ran them into the ground with your ar. Ever see a loose barrel nut? Did it just magically loosen with the gas tube in the way? Gimme break..
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 3:56:17 AM EDT
[#10]
Kind of doubt its the scopes especially if you used tow different types. Don't know about the barrel nut but its probably a good place to start along with the rings, and riser etc.
Not likely two different scopes from different companies are bad.
JR
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 9:48:22 AM EDT
[#11]
I had this happen a few times, once because I broke a scope mount (It was on a .50 so I wasn't surprised) and the other time was the mount had worked loose. Retightening the base fixed it right away.
If your rings are good then my money is one a bad scope.

One other thing. Make sure your flash suppressor isn't loose or (in extreme cases) actualling hitting the bullet as it exits.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 10:02:16 AM EDT
[#12]
I agree, I would really be surprised if it were both scopes that were bad.  Especially with the brand new one.  Bases rings and everything is plenty tight, I had my friend in the special forces inspect it and he says the mount is very legitimate and should have no problems.  I am going to go shoot it with his scope and mount on it, and if it's still not working, I'll have to take it in and make sure the barrel nut and flash surpressor are on tight.  I just kind of doubt it would be the barrel nut or the flash surpressor because it's such a new gun, and has been very well taken care of, and used very lightly.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:43:34 AM EDT
[#13]
If you are in denial that it is quite possibly going to be your scopes, then try them on another rig. The track records on both scopes are abysmal and it's not unheard of to have a problematic one straight from the box.

Once again, how is the barrel nut going to magically work loose with the gas tube in the way? How is your flash suppressor going to "work loose" unless you've been cranking on it? Can you turn it with your hand? If you can't then it's on there tight enough.

I know your "Special Forces" friend told you it's the barrel nut, but most Spec Ops guys I know (I stay in touch with more than a few over the course of classes over the years) are trigger pullers-they're not armorers.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 11:59:04 AM EDT
[#14]
<---Not surprised that two scopes are bad if they are Barska and NcStar!
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 12:56:14 PM EDT
[#15]
I just had a similar experience with the scope I bought.  It turned out to be the mount and rings that came with the scope.  Long story but I replaced the rings and mount with some quality units and the problem is gone.  But that is the same thing everyone else told you too.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 1:31:03 PM EDT
[#16]
height=8
Quoted:
I just had a similar experience with the scope I bought.  It turned out to be the mount and rings that came with the scope.  Long story but I replaced the rings and mount with some quality units and the problem is gone.  But that is the same thing everyone else told you too.

Well my Barska scope and rings worked wonderfully for months, and all of a sudden are not.  So I do know that the rings will work.  But I have tried another set of rings, both with the riser and without.  I just wont know for sure until I get to the range tommorow and shoot it with my friends scope and mount.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Well my Barska scope and rings worked wonderfully for months, and all of a sudden are not.  So I do know that the rings will work.  But I have tried another set of rings, both with the riser and without.  I just wont know for sure until I get to the range tommorow and shoot it with my friends scope and mount.
If you got months of wonderful service out of your Barska scope then consider yourself fortunate.  Why is it that everytime some says "my special forces" friend says it is OK they are talking about the SF airsoft league?  An AR, like any other weapon, is a tool made up of many parts.  Like a chain being only as strong as its weakest link an AR is only as good as it worst part.  We know nothing of the rest of your build but you decided to skimp a little in the optics part of your chain.  That part of the chain plays a big role in hitting or missing the target.  Forget what your Airsoft Special forces buddy says and pay attention to people that are actually trying to help you in their responses.  Put a decent optic and mount on it and your problem should go away.  If this sounds rude, well I'm sorry, good luck and happy new year.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:17:53 PM EDT
[#18]
  He just got back from 8 months in Iraq, but again, i will not know until i shoot with his Scope and mount tomorrow.  If his work on my gun, then I will have to invest in some serious optics.  
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 2:32:12 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
  He just got back from 8 months in Iraq, but again, i will not know until i shoot with his Scope and mount tomorrow.  If his work on my gun, then I will have to invest in some serious optics.  
If your friend just got back fro Iraq then I owe you an apology and him a "thank you" for his service.  I stand by the rest of what I said though.  Don't skimp on your optics and mounts.  It is terribly disconcerting when cheap stuff falls off at the most inopertune of times.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 5:43:15 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If your weapon is working correctly, I think you  need a better scope. I know there are many optics out there for you to choose from but usually it comes down to the funds we have available.  I have a 20" Rock River Varmint gun and I am using the super Sniper 10x42 scope.link It is a good scope for the money.About $299.link1

Sometimes you can find a slightly used  Super Sniper scope  a little cheaper here(@249):link2
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 7:07:03 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Ever see a loose barrel nut? Did it just magically loosen with the gas tube in the way? Gimme break..

It may not have magically loosened, perhaps it was like that from the factory.  I had an upper from a 'good' manufacturer with a loose barrel.  I fought it for a long time thinking it was my optic, the mount, me, etc.  One day after being ready to chuck the entire rifle across the desert and leaving it I grabbed onto the FSB and the upper receiver and gave them a twist.  To my suprise the barrel was indeed loose in the receiver.  I suspect my upper was never torqued all the way down at the factory, could be a similar case here.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:00:35 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Ever see a loose barrel nut? Did it just magically loosen with the gas tube in the way? Gimme break..

It may not have magically loosened, perhaps it was like that from the factory.  I had an upper from a 'good' manufacturer with a loose barrel.  I fought it for a long time thinking it was my optic, the mount, me, etc.  One day after being ready to chuck the entire rifle across the desert and leaving it I grabbed onto the FSB and the upper receiver and gave them a twist.  To my suprise the barrel was indeed loose in the receiver.  I suspect my upper was never torqued all the way down at the factory, could be a similar case here.

The problem with the loose barrel nut theory is that the poster stated it had been working fine for a while then accuracy suddnley went to shit. If the barrel nut had been loose from the assembly line (whether factory or home) then the problem would have been from the start and not after X number of rounds fired. The problem lies else where as a barrel nut can not come loose with the gas tube installed.
Link Posted: 12/31/2006 8:02:21 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

The problem with the loose barrel nut theory is that the poster stated it had been working fine for a while then accuracy suddnley went to shit. If the barrel nut had been loose from the assembly line (whether factory or home) then the problem would have been from the start and not after X number of rounds fired. The problem lies else where as a barrel nut can not come loose with the gas tube installed.

Reading is fundamental I guess.  I stand corrected as far as the OP's problem is concerned.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:36:18 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
<---Not surprised that two scopes are bad if they are Barska and NcStar!

+1

In optics you always get what you pay for.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 9:26:18 AM EDT
[#25]
height=8
Quoted:
height=8
Quoted:
Ever see a loose barrel nut? Did it just magically loosen with the gas tube in the way? Gimme break..have

I cannot detect anything loose with the barrel or barrel nut.  And yes I would be surprised if it had come loose because it had very good accuracy and then all of a sudden stopped.  I'm goin to the range with the new scope and mount, I'll post the results, thanks!
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 12:56:16 PM EDT
[#26]
Okay, went to the range today, and shot my weapon with my friends scope and mount on it.  He didn't want me adjusting it, but I just wanted to make sure it was shooting consistantly.  I started at 25 yards, and was consistantly 2 1/2 inches high and left.

Then I shot at 100, and was about 14 inches high and left, but it was consistant.  Is it normal to have that 12 inches of difference between 25 and 100 yards?  I wasn't sure about that, but at least it was consistant.  

Then I put my NcSTAR scope in his mount.  I quickly adjusted it to be dead on at 25 yards.  However, when I shot at 100 yards with my scope in his mount I wasn't even on paper.  But I only had a few shots at 100 before I ran out of ammo.   But I don't understand how I can be consistantly dead on at 25 and not even on paper at 100.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 12:58:52 PM EDT
[#27]
are you using one of those retarded rails that mounts into the carry handle of a a2 receiver that you then put a scope on top of? Or are you using a flattop riser combo? What's your set up ?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:07:55 PM EDT
[#28]
If you are off target by 2.5 inches at 25 yards you would be off 10 inches at 100 yards(mathmatically). It's because your bullet is angling away from your line of sight/ bullseye not moving parallel to it.

Another thought....What is your rifle's twist rate? What weight bullets are you shooting? Are the bullet holes at 25 and 100 tards round or keyholed?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:24:27 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:
Okay, went to the range today, and shot my weapon with my friends scope and mount on it.  He didn't want me adjusting it, but I just wanted to make sure it was shooting consistantly.  I started at 25 yards, and was consistantly 2 1/2 inches high and left.

Then I shot at 100, and was about 14 inches high and left, but it was consistant.  Is it normal to have that 12 inches of difference between 25 and 100 yards?  I wasn't sure about that, but at least it was consistant.  

Then I put my NcSTAR scope in his mount.  I quickly adjusted it to be dead on at 25 yards.  However, when I shot at 100 yards with my scope in his mount I wasn't even on paper.  But I only had a few shots at 100 before I ran out of ammo.   But I don't understand how I can be consistantly dead on at 25 and not even on paper at 100.  

Two-and-a-half inches at 25 yards will certianly translate to 14 inches at 100.  If the bullet path were straight with the line of sight, which it is not, the difference would be 10 inches.  The bullet is on a rising path at 25 and still rising at 100.

When you put your old scope back on and got it adjusted at 25 yards, how many rounds did you shoot at 25?  It would take ten shots at least to verify that the scope was holding zero at 25 before moving to 100.  I suspect that you only shot three rounds (or so) to verify that it was "dead on" at 25 before shooting at 100.  

Statistically speaking, there is a good chance that a malfunctioning scope could hold zero for three shots, but much less likey for ten.  Thirty shots would certainly show if the scope were bad even one which has an occasional wander (assuming that the rifle holds zero with irons).

From what it sounds like, your scopes are bad.  Either you need to pony-up for  better optics ($300 minimum though I would suggest spending ~$600) or use irons.  I shoot mostly iron sights and have no trouble holding the 2 minute of angle that my AR-15 is currently capable of (I need better loads or a better barrel).  I have on more than one occasion used irons (with a good rifle and bench) held less than 1 minute of angle at 100 meters for 10 shot groups.

Also, what are you shooting at with an AR that requires optics?  Unless you have a varmiter set-up and are shooting praire dogs at 200+ yards, I'm not sure you need a scope. (Just my opinion).

Dave.
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 1:29:00 PM EDT
[#30]

It appears to be a scope (with good rings) problem in my opinion. You friends scope would have been in the center if you had adjusted it. Good luck

How much did you pay for  your scopes?
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 2:47:59 PM EDT
[#31]
Ya'all Amaze me... He has two Cheap Chinese made scopes and he lost his zero.... That should be the only clue needed to solve the mystery.....

I know. I know... no one wants to believe it's there scope.. cause that would not validate a persons choice that he/she made very well.

Cheap optics are like cheap anything else... you may luck out and get one that works good for you, or you may not... the odds are more and more against you the cheaper the scope..

Just think how happy you would have been if you had used the money spent on the NCStar and Barska and bought something fairly descent......
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:05:31 PM EDT
[#32]
height=8
Quoted:
are you using one of those retarded rails that mounts into the carry handle of a a2 receiver that you then put a scope on top of? Or are you using a flattop riser combo? What's your set up ?

Flat top riser.  Ok well thanks guys for the trajectory info, it sounds like at least the rifle is shooting correctly.  I will get more ammo and really figure out my scope in his mount.  And then I will be able to determine if I need to buy just a new riser, or both a new riser and new (much better) scope.  
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:58:08 PM EDT
[#33]
height=8
Quoted:

It appears to be a scope (with good rings) problem in my opinion. You friends scope would have been in the center if you had adjusted it. Good luck

$60 for the NcSTAR, and much less for the Barska
Link Posted: 1/1/2007 5:59:17 PM EDT
[#34]
64 Gr. Winchester Power point rounds.  Not sure what the twist rate of my barrel is and I did not look at the holes on the target closely
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 6:23:11 AM EDT
[#35]
I wouldn't waste any more ammo trying to sight it in

Mike
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 7:12:26 AM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Quoted:

$60 for the NcSTAR, and much less for the Barska

ok............what brand of AR are you shooting?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:15:13 AM EDT
[#37]
Uh I change my vote to the scopes if thats all you paid for them. I wasn't familiar with the brands. I know in the 70's I had some cheap weaver and tasco scopes and even they would hold zero on my 30-06.
JR
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:47:09 AM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

Rock River Entry Tactical
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 8:53:38 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Quoted:

well it shouldnt be the rifle in that case
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 9:00:51 AM EDT
[#40]
Here's another thought, I Did change out the stock R4 Handguards for some with a smaller diameter, about the same time I first noticed the accuracy problem.  But I do think I did get some accuracy for a while after I put those on, AND, it seemed to be shooting fine yesterday with the other scope and mount.  But would handguards that were too small cause a problem like this?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:09:40 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
Quoted:

This must be a joke!  No one spends @$900 for a Rock River Entry Tactical rifle and then $60 for a cheap offbrand scope to go on it.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 11:29:37 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

This must be a joke!  No one spends @$900 for a Rock River Entry Tactical rifle and then $60 for a cheap offbrand scope to go on it.

I have seen guys with 2,600 dollar rifles and Leapers scopes on them, you never know
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#43]
Well looks like I am in the market for a new scope, and new mount.  Anyone know of any one piece riser mounts for a flat top rifle that looks cool and works very well?  Also, I would like a silver scope, with ruby red lenses, and possibly illuminated reticle.  Anyone know of any good quality scopes that fit that profile?
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:18:45 PM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
Well looks like I am in the market for a new scope, and new mount.  Anyone know of any one piece riser mounts for a flat top rifle that looks cool and works very well?  Also, I would like a silver scope, with ruby red lenses, and possibly illuminated reticle.  Anyone know of any good quality scopes that fit that profile?
OK, I am going back to my previous AirSoft league comments.  What is with this silver scope with ruby red lenses crap?  Hopefully school will be starting back up soon so you have homework to do.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:31:52 PM EDT
[#45]
Whats the problem?  Do silver scopes not work well?  Does the Black paint help stabilize it and make it a better scope...yeaaa?  What are you talking about....
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 12:49:37 PM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:
Whats the problem?  Do silver scopes not work well?  Does the Black paint help stabilize it and make it a better scope...yeaaa?  What are you talking about....
This will be my last post in this thread, probably shouldn't even post this one.  You are in a technical forum asking for help.  Everyone, most everyone other than those who think the barrel nut can suddenly come loose, agrees your choice in optics sucks big time.  If you find a silver illuminated reticle ruby red lensed scope it will be in the same isle you found your other two pieces of garbage.  You want a one piece mount that looks cool but more importantly works as advertised?  The Larue SPR should work perfectly.  Don't desire quick release with return to zero capability the Armalite should do just fine for substantially less money.  BUT, you are not going to find your Buck Rogers cool looking scope in a brand that is worth spending the money on.  You spent good money on  your RRA, if you actually do have that then spend the money on comparable quality optics.  If you cannot afford a quality optic at this time then spend the money on ammo and get good with your iron sights.  But please let this cheap stuff die before this thread goes to 14 pages wondering why you still can't hit the target all of a sudden.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 1:34:31 PM EDT
[#47]
just so you know optics coated with ruby red coatings are always cheap optics. The red coating is used to filter out the red tint cheap glass creates...this helps clear them up slightly and give you better depth perception. Basically just save you pennies and get a good to go scope and mount set up.
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:24:05 PM EDT
[#48]
height=8
Quoted:
just so you know optics coated with ruby red coatings are always cheap optics. The red coating is used to filter out the red tint cheap glass creates...this helps clear them up slightly and give you better depth perception. Basically just save you pennies and get a good to go scope and mount set up.

Ohhh I see.  Alright thank you, appreciate it
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:32:28 PM EDT
[#49]
         Whenever folks are haveing trouble with their scope (seems like this is your problem) I try to steer then onto a leupold. Yes you can spend thousands for one of their super duper wiz bang scopes and people pay that because they are worth that if you need all the wiz bang features.
         If you go to Midway or SWFA(they are a site sponser) you can get a leupold Rifleman 2X7 for $175 or a 3X9 for $190. I know everybody wants lots of power but you would be surprised what you can see with a good clear 7 power. You can't see the fleas but you can see a groundhog out to 250 or possibly 300 yards. The truth of the matter is that a 2 power has a lot going for it on an AR for many uses.Midway has some decent one piece mounts for Flatop guns which include rings for $65. They have a couple but the one I use is the B-Square "Military". You can take the mount off and leave the scope on the mount (to use your carry handle or whatever) and if you mount it in the same grove it will return fairly close to zero .This one piece3 mount has some overhang so it gives you beter flexibility in where you can mount the scope vs regular rings clamping on the flatop.
         You need the mount anyhow . Get the rifleman leupold to hold you over untill you can put the cash together for a big time scope. Forget the lighted reticle, you can buy some cheepo for $99 (bsa?) which might hold together a little longer than the Bariska but a decent scope with a lighted reticle isn't going to be found untill you get up over $600- $900. If it is so dark that you need the reticle lit you have to spend lots to get a scope brite enough to see anything behind the reticule
Link Posted: 1/2/2007 2:34:52 PM EDT
[#50]
Are the screws/nuts staying tight on your rings? j/w
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top