Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
1/22/2020 12:12:56 PM
Posted: 9/25/2007 5:26:46 PM EST
Okay guys I've been looking for a set of hand guards for my Bushy carbine. Sadly I'm on a tight budget. So far though these seem the cheapest as far as railed hand guards go. Does anyone have any experience with these?
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 5:31:27 PM EST
You don't want to attach metal mounts to plastic rails. You are asking for trouble. If you are on a tight budget, I recommend the Midwest Industries 2-piece rails. They are very good quality at a fraction of the price of the competition.
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 5:54:39 PM EST
They work ok but save up 'til you can afford metal rails like the MI#17 or similar make.
Link Posted: 9/25/2007 6:06:39 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/25/2007 6:09:13 PM EST by Sumo2000]
They work fine and are plenty sturdy for a foregrip, bipod, flashlight, etc. I wouldn't mount a sight to one.

From experience though, go with the Midwest Industries rails. The CAA rails are around $100 & you can get the MI for about $30 more... it's worth it.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 12:35:57 AM EST
YHM rails are pretty cheap too.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:02:05 AM EST
Thanks guys I'm going to go with the MI rails as soon as I have the scratch now all I need to do is get some stuff to hang off em.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 11:06:33 AM EST

Originally Posted By Foxtrot_Alpha:
Thanks guys I'm going to go with the MI rails as soon as I have the scratch now all I need to do is get some stuff to hang off em.

Good choice. I'm sure you prolly won't be disappointed with the MI rails. They are my fav's next to KAC for the two piece non-FF offerings.
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 2:44:44 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/26/2007 2:52:12 PM EST
I actually have a set of plastic CAA rails on my AR.....

I wouldn't have gotten them if I didn't have a chance to buy them way cheap. At $120 retail, they are WAY overpriced for what you're getting.
On one hand they do fit tight and have been just fine handling a foregrip and sling swivel.

HOWEVER, they have been slowly disintegrating over the course of 3 years. The tabs around front handguard retainer area snap off. The little teeth things that clutch the barrel nut are wearing and have broken about 25% off. It still holds tight, but I don't trust it 100% now.

I recall drilling more holes in it for better ventilation. It does have aluminum heat shields in it, FWIW. I have seriously abused the hell out of them. They never BROKE, per se, but are just wearing their way to the trash bin. What can I say? I paid less for them than a set of regular handguards, so I'm not disappointed.

p.s. I have NEVER heard anything from another owner of these things. I know people own them, The guy that teaches classes at a local gunshop swears by them, but everyone says 'avoid them' but I don't know how many have used them.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 11:27:07 AM EST
What about this rail: KZ 4 Rail Handguard
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 11:47:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By Carabinero1979:
What about this rail: KZ 4 Rail Handguard

Never heard of those rails. At that price I'd be suspicious. Plus run away from doing business with Botach.
Link Posted: 9/27/2007 2:21:13 PM EST
Whether or not the CAA rails work out depends on what you are going to be mounting on them. My wife just wanted a light railed handguard to be able to put a VFG on hers. We used the CAA M-33 Handguard Set and mounted an SOG Armory Graphite Vertical Grip on it. The combo is light and sturdy and does everything she needs it to do.

Link Posted: 9/27/2007 7:47:37 PM EST
Link Posted: 9/28/2007 8:09:02 AM EST
hmm,,, even if I drilled holes into the sides for ventilation?
I'd figure that wouldn't have anything to do with the lip that goes around the barrel nut cracking, though..... I may send them an email

Thanks for the heads up!
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 12:05:49 PM EST
I bought 'em...don't care for 'em.

They are pretty sturdy, as was mentioned before they're OK for mounting a light, etc...but they just 'feel' cheap and tacky. Mine don't seem to fit together very well. Definitely not worth the price, IMHO. I'll be returning these...
Link Posted: 10/2/2007 12:09:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By DDoleiden:
I bought 'em...don't care for 'em.

They are pretty sturdy, as was mentioned before they're OK for mounting a light, etc...but they just 'feel' cheap and tacky. Mine don't seem to fit together very well. Definitely not worth the price, IMHO. I'll be returning these...

that sounds like the entire CAA - Fobus - TDI product line...
Link Posted: 10/6/2007 10:11:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/6/2007 10:15:28 PM EST by TheTic00]
Link Posted: 10/7/2007 5:24:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By TheTic00:
havent owned to many TDI items have ya hellbound?

ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=6&f=2&t=227033

actually i have... the company is local to my area...

i can't stand their product line... and haven't for the past 5 years... sorry... my experience is that their products are poorly made, most imported from israel, the company is a bunch of hacks, and i can't stand the dealers round these parts that try to cram them down everybody's throat...
Link Posted: 10/8/2007 11:49:38 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/8/2007 11:53:46 AM EST by maxicon]
I've got the CAA handguards on a DPMS A2 .22 upper, and have mounted a red dot to them. They've held up very well and the sight has held zero, but I haven't abused them and it's a low-recoil platform. So far, no problems for me. I've seem pics of them with the rail bits broken off, so it's safe to say they're not as strong as aluminum.

Another option while you save for the name brands is the UTG aluminum handguards, which are only $60 and get very good reviews here and at vendor sites for solid lockup and fit:
www.cheaperthandirt.com/ARR138-54335-1887.html

This always opens up the can of worms for the airsoft accusations, but if you read the reviews of people who actually own and use them on real guns, there are very few complaints and many positive reviews. I can't remember ever seeing a bad review by someone who owned them (but I may have missed some). Lots of people who don't own them complain about them

The KZ rails at Botach got a decent review from a user here some time back, but the top rail sits a bit lower than the flat top, and Botach is definitely a risk to work with. The user said it appeared to be an MI rail clone, but I can't speak for that.

The UTG rails aren't a clone of anybody's design that I'm aware of. Somebody enlighten me if I'm wrong...

Top Top