Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 7/17/2010 12:44:17 PM EDT
folks, working on another AR and trying to get a nice quality stock.  I really like the look of the CAA CBS stock but wanted to know if its a good quality or is it going to shatter if struck.  here are my choices, please comment only if you own or have used for an extended time.

1. CAA CBS
2. VLTOR Imod
3. Magpul CTR
4. VLTOR Emod
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 1:07:47 PM EDT
[#1]
I have been running one on my carbine for a while.  I would rate it as a good cheap stock and a so-so stock if money is no object.  It is made for a commercial receiver extension tube, not a milspec tube, and even with the commercial tube, there is a good deal of rattle.  If you are going to compete or go to multiple training classes, you might want to consider something else.  For a casual shooter, I think it is OK mightyfine.

I you plan to use your gun hard and money is an issue, I would suggest this stock..  If you don't already have a receiver extension tube, I recommend this one.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#2]
well, i did find CAA was milspec also, not just comm, but i need this to handle the desert as well as any class I go to, guess I'll go ahead and remove the CBS from the list. last thing i need is a shitty stock when SHTF
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 6:49:55 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
well, i did find CAA was milspec also, not just comm, but i need this to handle the desert as well as any class I go to, guess I'll go ahead and remove the CBS from the list. last thing i need is a shitty stock when SHTF

Desert, as in deployment? Lots of units are issuing LMT SOPMOD stocks. Its hard to do better, especially when it's free. Even if that's not the case, your basic issue Colt will be better than CAA. Also check out the Magpul MOE instead of the CTR, basically the same stock minus the friction lock and the QD swivel mount, for half the cash.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 8:54:05 PM EDT
[#4]
PMC, but yea, they are thinking about having me go out east this fall, i think i'll grab the imod, cheek welds look nice and i know vltor is a good name.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 10:06:40 PM EDT
[#5]
i rly like the ctr its a rly nice stock if you ask me
Link Posted: 7/19/2010 6:54:59 PM EDT
[#6]
i'm in a weird mood tonight, but answer me this,.....why am I paying $60 more for the imod than a standard m4 car stock?  am iI missing something? like the CTR i get, it has a lockup on it, but what does vltor offer?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:51:17 AM EDT
[#7]
It's called marketing. Supply and Demand.

PS you make an adustable stock tough enough, the buffer tube becomes the weak link - which it is and has been reported when abused in the field. Milspec is not SHTF proof, but it's a good guideline for reasonable combat use. There has to be some give and take, users have to consider treating their gear responsibly. Optics break, magazines get bent, weapons fail, there is no guarantee of being SHTF proof.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:51:49 PM EDT
[#8]
valid points, i'm grabbing teh standard stock for now, if I get my hands on a different stock later on and like it, i'll pick it up then, but yea, for now, $35 is it, lol
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top