Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 1/1/2012 2:30:32 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/1/2012 3:02:20 PM EDT by heavyduty]
A few years ago RTUtah started torturing me with pics of his 14.5" middy on an A1 upper with an A2 handguard and a Fiberlite stock. I finally decided to order the barrel and start a similar build. His has a mock moderator, but I'm planning to do mine a little simpler with an A2X permed to a DD LW 14.5" midlength barrel on a NoDak Spud A2 lower. Not a true retro build, but a practical iron sighted carbine that is retro inspired.

I would prefer an A1 style upper. The only A1 upper I own is already in use, and I'm wondering if anything out there comes with M4 feed ramps to match the DD barrel. (I know I can cut or ignore them, but I'd like to see what's out there first.) Do C7 uppers generally come with M4 cuts? Where's a good place to look for one? I seem to recall the Bushmaster A1 is actually a C7, but last time I looked (years ago) no BM uppers had M4 cuts.

(Edit - moving part of question to another forum)
Link Posted: 1/2/2012 6:20:37 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/2/2012 6:21:09 AM EDT by Leg]
Bushmaster and DPMS sell uppers marketed as "A1" but the have the Brunton Bump or case deflector so a more accurate description would be C7 style. No idea if they have M4 ramps or not.

Colt did produce C7 style uppers with M4 cuts, most likely for 733 uppers. I own one of them, sadly didn't come with the 11.5" barrel. My advice would be to keep your eye on the exchange forum, maybe you'll get lucky and find a Colt. CMMG sold off a bunch of these years ago, probably traded in when an agency updated their carbines.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:12:21 AM EDT
Thanks for the info!

Anyone else know if the A1/C7 upper sold by Bushmaster has M4 cuts? I'm also looking for a source to buy one - we don't seem to have any more BM dealers here at ARFCOM.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:38:34 PM EDT
Originally Posted By heavyduty:
Thanks for the info!

Anyone else know if the A1/C7 upper sold by Bushmaster has M4 cuts? I'm also looking for a source to buy one - we don't seem to have any more BM dealers here at ARFCOM.

Bushmaster does (or did) sell A1/C7 type uppers both with or without M4 cuts. The cuts are anodised also. The two uppers have different part numbers so you have to (or had to) specifically request the one with the cuts.

The one with cuts often has (or had) an L forged into one of the lugs. Rumor has it that the L signifies the product was made under contract by LMT for BM, but I have found no substantiation for the rumor.

Call BM and ask. The two uppers should be the same price.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:23:52 PM EDT
Great info - thanks! I'll give them a call.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 2:51:37 PM EDT
My Bushmaster C7 I bought used has the M4 cuts. I heard you have to request them.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 3:36:55 PM EDT
My PK Firearms C7 upper did not have M-4 ramps
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:04:27 AM EDT
I spoke with Bushmaster yesterday and was told the A1/C7 upper they sell (A1UR) has M4 cuts and has for at least a few years. He said any new one ordered will have the cuts.
Top Top