Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/7/2003 6:40:52 PM EDT
Guys,

I'm buying my first AR-15. I've been shopping and this is what I was looking at:

Rock River Arms CAR A2 SS 16" HBAR with 1:8 twist
Rock River Arms Complete lower

My questions are these:

1) Most of the barrels that I haves seen are 1:9 twist. How does the twist affect the gun and is 1:8 twist not as good as 1:9? If so I can get the regular barrel.

2) Am I getting this for a good price? Complete upper - $410. Complete lower $210. Those prices are shipped (plus $25 FFL charge for lower)

3) The guy selling it said I will get no warranty for the gun because I am not buying it as a complete gun. I find it hard to believe that Rock River Arms won't warranty even their parts from defect.

4) Is this the best gun for the money? I've heard that the Rock River Arms are the best (or at least better) receivers.

I am trying to keep everything under $650 or so in price. I did find an Olympic Arms PCR-5 for $659 (before shipping and FFL charge). Is this a better deal/gun?

Thanks for any assistance. I am just getting into the AR-15 world and you all are much more experienced than I am.
Link Posted: 5/7/2003 9:43:13 PM EDT
[#1]
1. i'll leave for someone who knows more than i do.  but i do know that some competition/target grade AR's have 1/8 barrels.  all mine have been 1/9.
2. sounds pretty fair to me.
3. i'm sure RRA will help you out if you have any problems.  i've never heard of any negative experiences with them.
4.  they make nice stuff.  i'd rather have a chrome lined barrel but someone on the Equipment Exchange has RRA chrome lined barrels.

sounds like you'll have a nice rifle!

Link Posted: 5/7/2003 11:27:55 PM EDT
[#2]
A 1:9 twist will stablize a bullet up to about 69 grains.  A 1:8 twist up to 75 or 79 grains but might not in the lower range say, 45 grains.

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 2:07:22 AM EDT
[#3]
1/9 twist is a good barrel for 55-70 grain ammo. Most 55 grain surplus ammo [affordable] will shoot fine from a 1/9 barrel. I shoot the lake city XM193 and it fine. Chrome lined is better if you shoot more often, but non chrome lined is more accurate. Go with the chrome lined 1/9 twist.

Chris
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 3:44:05 AM EDT
[#4]
Either the 1/8 or 1/9 twist will be fine
for ALL military surplus, and most commercial
ammo.

$650 for an AR is about as low as you can
go without scrounging parts and building
it yourself.

I'm sure Rock River would fix any manufacturing
defects if they made the gun unsafe.
Link Posted: 5/8/2003 5:48:43 AM EDT
[#5]
So you guys think the 1:8 twist on a Stainless Steel barrel is fine?  I might just need to buy 62grain (or more) ammo or something? Has anyone had a Rock River upper?  If so were you happy with it?  Again thanks, just want to make sure I'm getting the right thing.

Link Posted: 5/8/2003 6:41:39 AM EDT
[#6]
A 1/8 will be fine. I have just the RRA upper receiver on mine and it matches up with my DPMS lower nice and tight. That is a good price you are getting. My current AR should be put together for less than $600 but I am piecing it together. I would say go for it at that price. RRA is one of the better makes out there.

Oh, just noticed you are getting a stainless, that is definitely a good price! Don't worry that much about twist. 1/8 or 1/9 is really common. You are going to have to try different ammo in your gun to find which one really shoots the best. You have to shoot what the gun likes, not what you want to shoot.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top