Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 12/19/2005 4:33:13 PM EDT
I am getting my new upper soon. It will be a flattop 16 inch carbine. I was wondering how say a Rock River compares to one from Del Ton, Stag, or J&T. Is one better or worse? I have Rock river and Lauer lowers. I want to get a good quality upper and would like any opinions. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 4:42:56 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I am getting my new upper soon. It will be a flattop 16 inch carbine. I was wondering how say a Rock River compares to one from Del Ton, Stag, or J&T. Is one better or worse? I have Rock river and Lauer lowers. I want to get a good quality upper and would like any opinions. Thanks

The actual upper isnt that big a deal where you get it from, in my very humble opinion.  Where you dont want to skimp is with the barrel and bolt.
Link Posted: 12/19/2005 7:00:17 PM EDT
[#2]
How does CMMG compare to the big name brands, concerning the barrel and bolt?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 4:38:39 AM EDT
[#3]
If that is the case then what are some barrels and bolts to stay away from and what are ones to look for? Thanks in advance.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:03:20 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I would stick to RRA or Stag. I've seen Del-Ton and J&T uppers and they seem fine but RRA and Stag are a step above

Quoted:
If that is the case then what are some barrels and bolts to stay away from and what are ones to look for? Thanks in advance.

Stick to the name brands and you'll be fine. C4iGrant (G&R Tactical) is selling the new BCM line of uppers for an outstanding price right now. You can get one of those and a CMT MPI BCG and have one of the highest quality uppers available.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:45:35 AM EDT
[#5]
holy shizznit! those BCM uppers are cheap! followed the thread that BC started about his new line but forgot about it till now and if its all as described it will be hard keeping those babies on the shelf!

think its time for a new build
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 5:47:46 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
holy shizznit! those BCM uppers are cheap! followed the thread that BC started about his new line but forgot about it till now and if its all as described it will be hard keeping those babies on the shelf!

Not only is the price kick ass but the quality looks to be outstanding as well. I hope to test drive mine on Friday.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 8:08:57 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Its not that great considering you can build an upper with a Bushmaster 1/7 twist barrel and CMT flattop T-marked M4 feed ramp upper for about $350.

Buying already assembled will never be cheaper then building one yourself.
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

They are supposed to be top notch. I know that the barrels are MP tested, not sure about the bolt's they make, but I'd be willing to bet they are..

I'll be making a post about mine when I get it, shipping today...
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 12:29:19 PM EDT
[#9]
No mentions of LMT uppers?
Link Posted: 12/20/2005 7:54:30 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:22:18 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not only is the price kick ass but the quality looks to be outstanding as well. I hope to test drive mine on Friday.

I think I'll use this in my next build.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 2:30:07 AM EDT
[#12]
tag for comparison.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 6:58:53 AM EDT
[#13]
How are the CMT flattop uppers? Who else uses these with their name on them? Thanks in advance
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 11:35:22 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Big name price without the solid reputation.

Sorry but I wouldnt buy any of their products.  They may be good vendors but they are average parts, nothing special.  The price they charge for them is way to high.  But thats just my opinion.  If you are going to be paying that for a part buy a real name brand and get some resale value later on.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 1:08:42 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

I would stick to RRA or Stag. I've seen Del-Ton and J&T uppers and they seem fine but RRA and Stag are a step above

Del-tons flat top uppers are CMT's......I'm pretty sure that I've read that both RRA's and Stags uppers were made by CMT too....? Anybody know if thats right or not?

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:04:47 PM EDT
[#16]
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 5:53:56 PM EDT
[#17]
If that is true then a CMT upper with a Wilson barrel for Del Ton is the same as a Rock River upper. The only difference would be the price. I think that I will order from Del Ton. I have heard all good things about them and when I called today the woman on the phone was very helpful and pleasent.
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 7:16:29 PM EDT
[#18]
I just ordered a assembled flat top upper ($83!), gas tube ($11) and Bolt&BC ($87!) from Del-ton today..... You can't beat those prices IMHO... (oops)

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 8:14:37 AM EDT
[#19]
How do you sign up for there dicount program? Any savings is still savings. Thanks
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 9:06:40 AM EDT
[#20]
IM del-ton here on the board asking for the discount. Include your name, email, address, etc and your AR-15.com name. It's a small discount...but it all helps.

They will IM you back when they setup your account. Then just log in at their website and you'll see your discount.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:39:16 PM EDT
[#21]
i want to order a flat top upper after xmas. i would like to know how dpms upper are with a dpms lower. i also need to know if i get an upper barreled assembly is it cheaper than buying each piece. also a friend told me if i get a complete kit, that i will have all the parts  including a stock and then buy a stripped lower receiver. also i have seen pictures of a rear sight on some flat tops. is this a new type of flat top or do you buy the rear sight.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top