Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/2/2006 10:30:04 AM EDT
hello all,
I ran acrossed your site from the box of truth website and started reading a lot of the ar-15.  Now I want one.  However I am younger and don't have a lot of money.  I was wondering if it is cheaper to buy the parts from gun shows and what not and build it or if it is cheaper to just buy a fully assembled ar from a store.  BTW when i say I want a cheap ar I do not want it CHEAP if you understand me.  Thanks for the help in advance.

Ray
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 10:33:41 AM EDT
[#1]
Collecting parts and build one is fun. Check EE board frequently. Amazing deals pop out from time to time.

Shoot me an IM, see what I have now.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:41:27 AM EDT
[#2]
That is what i figured that it would be fun.  Dang Farmer part of me can not help it lol.  But what is there any cost differences?...Also do most ar lowers and uppers go to gether well if they are different names?

Ray
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 11:50:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
That is what i figured that it would be fun.  Dang Farmer part of me can not help it lol.  But what is there any cost differences?...Also do most ar lowers and uppers go to gether well if they are different names?

Ray

Welcome to the site!

in the long run, building ARs is cheaper-

h/w, just for 1 build and depending on what kinda set up you are looking to get, builds vs buying whole prices will vary....

it also depends on how basic you want to begin a build and if you have the proper tools

--how many mods/accessories/brands of parts are you looking to have on this AR?
or do you just want a stock, KISS AR?

an average build, good quality BASIC AR build will run ~$600+
check the EE/Industry boards for kits and/or parts

except for some colt uppers/lowers/oversized pins, almost every other brand out there are compatable when it comes to attaching uppers and lowers--just snap in the pins
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 3:53:52 PM EDT
[#4]
I vote for building.

I was in the same boat not long ago and decided to build for a few reasons.  

One, you get what you want right off the bad without buying a whole rifle and replacing the things you don't want.

Two, The satisfaction of making something you want. It becomes "your's" and not what a company decided to put together.

Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:01:25 PM EDT
[#5]
Yip. Building is the way to go unless you get a killer deal on a factory put together one. Also gotta save where you can.

Ive built ARs under 300bux (this was a rarity)

Ive bought ARs under 450bux (it happens, esp. tax time when ppl need money or xmas time)

The average on plain jane builds is around 500-600bux if you shop around.
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 4:34:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I just built a Bushmaster M$ profile. While it was noy "cheap" I did save a couple hundread bucks. More important, I learned more about how it works. I've had another Bushmaster since 99 and knew very little about it. And a big plus, like has already been said, is, "you built it yourself".
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:25:25 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for all the advice.  I am going to build one as long as i can find the money.  I am sure you all know what I am talking about there.  Also if you guys have any suggestions of things to get or AVOID let me know.

Thanks again
Ray
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 6:59:18 PM EDT
[#8]
Building is so much better than buying a complete rifle outright.

I wish I got into building alot sooner. 1st build ran me around $640.00 for a STAG M4 build which was $300.00 cheaper then what I paid for my Bushy M4 in 03/05.

Build damnit build!
Link Posted: 3/2/2006 7:33:49 PM EDT
[#9]
My build as a reference, you can get less expensive bits but I'm making it mine.

Not "cheap" but I'm getting what I want pretty much. Not a full ground-up build either but if an assembly comes with what you want installed, why not buy it?

Global Tactical lower with CMT/Stag LPK. (no stock)   $170
Stag 16" 3HL upper (complete)                                      $495
Arms #40 RS                                                                      $96
YHM gas block FS                                                              $59
Magpul PRS stock                                                            $259
30-rnd mag w/ magpul follower                                          $11

Total                                                                               $1090

Not including the extra goodies! This is just to get a "ready to fire" rifle with minimal sighting.

Link Posted: 3/3/2006 4:21:05 AM EDT
[#10]
If you build you get what you wont the 1st time. To sell off parts and get the ones you wont will end up costing you more money and time. If you shop you can save yourself a couple hundred over buying one all ready built.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top