Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/11/2013 9:00:06 AM EDT
Building my first AR-15

What seems to be the most preferred ButtStock? Collapsible or Fixed?

Any pros- or cons?

Thanks in advance!
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:00:13 AM EDT
[#1]
Depends on if it is a precision rifle what it will be used for etc... Basically it's personal preference.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 11:20:17 AM EDT
[#2]
A collapsible stock allows you to change stock lengths to accommodate shooters of different sizes.  

A fixed stock is great for producing a solid, repeatable cheekweld, which is one of the things you need when precision shooting through magnified optics or irons.  

A fixed stock will use a standard length buffer tube, and standard length and weight buffer.  This is the buffer system that the rifle length gas system was designed around.

A collapsible stock will use a shorter carbine buffer tube and the shorter carbine buffer.  It was designed for the carbine length gas system and is generally most popular on carbine and midlength gas system guns.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 1:36:01 PM EDT
[#3]
Not even close.... collapsible by a wide margin.
Link Posted: 9/11/2013 1:52:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Look at SOPMOD and VLTOR stocks.  They are my preference for almost all applications.        

Link Posted: 9/11/2013 1:56:39 PM EDT
[#5]
I have four lowers

Two CavArms MkII
One Stag telestock
One AR rifle stock

To me, one is no better then the other.  I decide what I need an AR to do on a given day, grab the right lower and upper and go shooting.

Usually I pick the CavArms MkII with the match trigger and whatever upper I need.
Page AR-15 » Build It Yourself
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top