Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 6/24/2003 5:33:02 PM EDT
I recently acquired a M900A and love it!  I also bought the red tipoff filter, but find it VERY difficult to flip up due to the TINY plastic clip on the lens cover.  So...

I'm wondering if anyone uses a Butler Creek Flip Cover on their M900A?  I haven't really taken measurements, so I don't know what diameter cap it would even be, but it seems like a simple way to protect the front of the light when not in use - like an Aimpoint.

Any feedback would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 7:49:18 PM EDT
[#1]
It took me a few times before I figured out how to use their covers. To unlock the lense, try pushing the front of the hinge instead of pulling the rear of it to open. When you do that, using their lens cofer is very easy. Its just not immediately obvious thats what you should do.
Link Posted: 6/24/2003 10:49:45 PM EDT
[#2]
I find that the filters loosen up over time. I think they need to be "broken in" so to speak. Sit down and and flip the cover on and off untill it loosens up a bit. I personally use my thumb nail to open the cover. I've never tried to push the hinge. I don't think the Butler Creek cover will be necessary.

Steve.
Link Posted: 6/25/2003 4:08:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Well, I looked it over and tried the "push on the hinge" trick.  It didn't even come close to opening.  In fact, I don't know how it possibly could, simply by design.

My biggest problem is using my fingernail to unlock the tab.  Not only is it somewhat painful after several repetitions, it's impossible with gloves!  It seems like Surefire put a lot of thought into the design of the filter, but not into the release mechanism.

So, I guess I'm back to my original question...
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 9:46:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Way back when I had an M500, it shipped with a butler cap that fit perfectly.  I'm pretty sure the head's the same size as a 900. Shouldn't be a problem.  Not a bad idea either.  That "mirror" up front is the shiniest, least stealthy part of the weapon.  And it'll probably be pointing right at the BG.  Kind of defeats the whole flat-black camo non reflective finish that everything else in the biz uses as a selling point.
Link Posted: 10/14/2003 7:03:29 PM EDT
[#5]
I also figured that out about "pushing" the latch open. Jusy playing around one day and realized how easy it was. If you look at the surface of the latch, you will see that it's serated. As you push, apply slight down pressure and it will pop open easily.

About the BC flip covers. Measure the OD and look on Natchezss's or BC's site and they will have the chart with measurements. As cheap as I am, I would spend the extra and get the Surefire cover.

Mark
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 6:18:15 PM EDT
[#6]
I agree that the shiney cover is a bit odd! But they have an opaque black cover. Its the FM17 for the 3 cell systems. It would serve the same function as the Butler Creek cap.
Page AR-15 » Lights and Lasers
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top