Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/14/2005 3:24:20 PM EDT
Is it me , or is Bushmaster slipping a little in the QC dept?  Just bought a new Bushy 20" H-Bar, and finally picked it up Friday, only to discover two totally different colors on upper and lower.  Not a big problem to most (myself included), but c'mon, if you're gonna pay 850 bucks for something off the factory floor, it should at least match right?  The lower finish looks almost purple.??

Got me perplexed, but what the hell... Have to save up the 150 bucks to get it re-finished, or look at dura-coat.

Well, rant off...

Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:37:25 PM EDT
[#1]
Only possible QC comment I could come up with on Bushmaster, after buying two complete rifles and one upper in the past year and change is:

-on the last unit, the complete upper, it was almost impossible to sight-in until I installed a new, taller front sight post.  You think they would have noticed this during factory sight-in.  I didn't bother calling them.  It cost me five dollars and five minutes to fix it but, as you say, it shouldn't require fixin' when it's brand new!

Other than that I have nothing but praise.  Never had a single malfunction with any of my ARs.  

I hope these two bugs (mine and yours) are not a trend.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:37:54 PM EDT
[#2]
I havent had that problem, but have seen pics of it.

Others here have had that too.  On the good side, it should still shoot fine!

Travis
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 3:39:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Refinish 2 or 3 ARs for $50, and do it yourself.  

AR15 refinishing thread
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 6:40:48 PM EDT
[#4]
My new BM 16" A2M4gery Patrolmans Carbine looks as good or better in fit and finish as any of the many colts I've ever owned over the years...insdie and out...I used see the purple finish that BM's were notorious for but that was years ago and haven't seen an example of such in almost a decade or so...as far as I know?...I thought BM that "Purple Issue" straightened out back in the mid '90's.

But...sometimes I wonder if some dealers cut themselves great deals on aqquiring "Factory 2nds" then never let their customers realize the savings...or?...bother admitting to them that they just got sold a factory 2nd grade firearm.

Also...the FFL guy I purchase through cators to our local L.E.O.'s and I've seen several "LOTS" of Bushy AR's he aqquired for them over the last couple years...one particularly large batch was a "Lot/Order Of (10)" Bushys and they ALL looked great...even the cops who ordered them killed themselves to "Get There FirsT"...so they could have dibs on.."Pick Of The Litter"...only to find they were so well finished it was like just close your eyes and point at one...as they were all great.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 7:20:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Only possible QC comment I could come up with on Bushmaster, after buying two complete rifles and one upper in the past year and change is:

-on the last unit, the complete upper, it was almost impossible to sight-in until I installed a new, taller front sight post.  You think they would have noticed this during factory sight-in.  I didn't bother calling them.  It cost me five dollars and five minutes to fix it but, as you say, it shouldn't require fixin' when it's brand new!

Other than that I have nothing but praise.  Never had a single malfunction with any of my ARs.  

I hope these two bugs (mine and yours) are not a trend.

I had the same problem with a superlight barrel that I bought from them.    I still buy their products though.
Link Posted: 8/14/2005 9:03:46 PM EDT
[#6]
My Bushy had some rough machining on the front of the magwell and Bushy replaced the lower. If it bothers you to the point of refinishing call Bushy. They will replace it for you. The replacement lower they sent me is great. I looked at several Colt 6920's yesterday and the finish on my Bushy is far better than any of them were.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 12:10:04 AM EDT
[#7]
I agree, I don't buy rifles to shoot or to use, especially battle rifles. They are stricly for fashion and I demand that the parts match and appear pretty. I don't want to look ghey at the range, for chrissakes.

Shit, I don't even shoot them. I take a gun pron picture and in the safe they go!

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:38:48 AM EDT
[#8]
I still buy their products.  Use it and abuse it.  No need for safe queens.

Max
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:05:19 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Damn.  How many years has it been, and Bushie still haven't figured out that on carbine types, you use the higher front sight post; or if you're Colt, you use the F marked base.

OK, people, I'm going to beard the lion, and notify Bushmaster "officially" of the need to use the higher post on carbine types.  I really don't expect them to pay any attention, or to change the (mis)information they have in their catalog listing for the higher post, but at least I'll be able to say I tried.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:06:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I dont even know where to start...

Fuck it, I dont care.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:41:39 AM EDT
[#11]
The finish on the upper left side of the upper of my Bushmaster was not perfect either. I don't care though as I treat it as a tool, not a trophy.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:52:05 AM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:55:05 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Fuck it, I dont care.

I agree...  If you are that worried about how your battle rifle looks, go buy a weatherby MK V.  It will all look the same once you Krylon it a couple of times;)
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 5:19:28 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
Is it me , or is Bushmaster slipping a little in the QC dept?  Just bought a new Bushy 20" H-Bar, and finally picked it up Friday, only to discover two totally different colors on upper and lower.  Not a big problem to most (myself included), but c'mon, if you're gonna pay 850 bucks for something off the factory floor, it should at least match right?  The lower finish looks almost purple.??

Got me perplexed, but what the hell... Have to save up the 150 bucks to get it re-finished, or look at dura-coat.

Well, rant off...

Same deal with mine.  The look has actually grown on me for some  strange reason (The upper is darker than the lower).  My bayo lug is also machined a little funny (still works though).  Both not worth the time or trouble to send back.  I know what you're talking about in regards to spending $850 though...should be A+ out of the box.  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:20:46 AM EDT
[#15]
A car is a tool, it gets you from point A to point B.  If you buy what's supposed to be the top of the line, and the rear of the car is painted a different color than the front, do you just suck it up, after all, the color won't affect it getting you from point A to point B one little bit.  Or do you take it back to the dealer and say "What the fuck, this is supposed to be the best and they can't even get the fucking color right?".  

Most of us aren't soldiers, while our rifles are tools they're also investments.  The value of you're Bushmaster investment takes a dive if the lower is purple.

And also, if they can't be bothered getting the finish right, what else couldn't they be bothered getting right?
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 9:02:53 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
A car is a tool, it gets you from point A to point B.  If you buy what's supposed to be the top of the line, and the rear of the car is painted a different color than the front, do you just suck it up, after all, the color won't affect it getting you from point A to point B one little bit.  Or do you take it back to the dealer and say "What the fuck, this is supposed to be the best and they can't even get the fucking color right?".  

Most of us aren't soldiers, while our rifles are tools they're also investments.  The value of you're Bushmaster investment takes a dive if the lower is purple.

And also, if they can't be bothered getting the finish right, what else couldn't they be bothered getting right?

+1 Too much money to spend on something that doesn't match. And like the other poster said, if you decide to get rid of it one day, it will not bring as much as the same rifle that does match.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:12:24 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Damn.  How many years has it been, and Bushie still haven't figured out that on carbine types, you use the higher front sight post; or if you're Colt, you use the F marked base.

OK, people, I'm going to beard the lion, and notify Bushmaster "officially" of the need to use the higher post on carbine types.  I really don't expect them to pay any attention, or to change the (mis)information they have in their catalog listing for the higher post, but at least I'll be able to say I tried.

Dont bother I already tried
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:27:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Sorry to hear that!!!! I know how you must feel!!!

That's the reason I always buy stuff that I see. I usually don't buy anything I haven't  had in my hands. Try your local dealer next time. It would probably work out much better!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:30:35 PM EDT
[#19]
I forgot to mention that there is a lot of good dealers in this forum too that would make sure that you receive a good product. It is also a good way to go!!!!
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:35:22 PM EDT
[#20]
maybe this is the tone you're talking about?  Looked weird when I saw the user post it, probably just the lighting for the picture though.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 1:55:00 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Well, rant off...

You problably have a lower that is manufactured in a different place than the upper. It happens. Depending on the light, my Mega lower and Oly upper look a bit different. In photos they really stand out. Meh. It works. If it really bothers you that much, ask Bushmaster for a new lower.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 2:09:50 PM EDT
[#22]
well I've had to send one customer's rifle back because it wouldn't feed rounds.

Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:02:53 PM EDT
[#23]
nah, shoots great,   not sending this one back, just ran 500 rounds thru it yesterday evening (200 thru my RRA M-4gerie) at the range.  Think I'll experiment with the duracoat templates and post pics.  The finish is not an issue with me, it just made me think if they are slipping on the finish, what else are they slipping on?  I know they are busy as hell and all right now, so my little gripe is nothing to them, frankly I don't care, and will probably buy more Bushies in the future...  
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 3:28:50 PM EDT
[#24]
Here's my recently aqquired A2M4gery Bushmaster 16" Patrolmans Carbine...

Zero complaints on fit or finish...matter of fact?...the upper and lower mate tighter than any colt I've ever owned and the finish is extremely consistant except for the steel parts such as the mag release and rear sight assy...which is to be expected...I'm very pleased with mine..and now that I'm over the fit & finish hurdle?...now I can't wait for the big brown truck to drop me off that case of blue boxes...then it's time for the final F-Test...."Function". LOL!!!

L8R, Bill.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:54:16 PM EDT
[#25]
The LAR numbered lowers have a different finish. I have heard they are better than The BFI lowers. But I have no BFI lowers to compare.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 6:58:10 PM EDT
[#26]
I sent a BFI lower back due to finish problems. They replaced it with an LAR lower and I am VERY happy with it. Although the LAR lower has a bit more of a matte finish than the BFI.
Link Posted: 8/15/2005 11:38:24 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
what the hell... Have to save up the 150 bucks to get it re-finished, or look at dura-coat.

[John Belushi]  SPRAY PAINT!  [/John Belushi]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:14:33 AM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:33:36 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

Fuck it, I dont care.

Link Posted: 8/16/2005 7:35:24 PM EDT
[#30]
time to camo your rifle
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 8:47:44 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:
-on the last unit, the complete upper, it was almost impossible to sight-in until I installed a new, taller front sight post.  You think they would have noticed this during factory sight-in.

Factory sight-in?    There's no such thing.  Not at BM, not at Colt, not at Armalite, etc.

Bushmaster fires all complete rifles and complete uppers FOR FUNCTION by shooting into a water tank.  This is pretty much standard proceedure at the larger AR companies.

If every rifle was shot for groups and sighted in (30 minutes per rifle, minimum), the cost of your rifle would go up significantly.

-Troy

My Bushy DCM was dead on right out of the box. I think they actually do factory zero the DCM rifles but the others.... HELL NO!!! My Patrolman was hitting 12" above paper right out of the box and the front sight post was just barely long enough to zero before it fell out.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:07:27 PM EDT
[#32]
I have played with some bushmasters at a local shop. The finish on them doesn't seem to great. Colts match but definetly have a slightly lighter color than most.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 9:14:38 PM EDT
[#33]

Quoted:
I have played with some bushmasters at a local shop. The finish on them doesn't seem to great. Colts match but definetly have a slightly lighter color than most.

I handled several new Colts this weekend. 6920's, 6721's, 6520's, etc. and the finish on my Bushy is better than any of them were.
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:35:34 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
Is it me , or is Bushmaster slipping a little in the QC dept?  Just bought a new Bushy 20" H-Bar, and finally picked it up Friday, only to discover two totally different colors on upper and lower.  Not a big problem to most (myself included), but c'mon, if you're gonna pay 850 bucks for something off the factory floor, it should at least match right?  The lower finish looks almost purple.??hat
Well, rant off...

hr

I dont know the purpose of your weapon but in my experiance the less of a role a gun plays in keeping you alive, the more concerned a person is with its appearance.

You'd be surpised how little you look at your weapon when you observing an area for ambushes, snipers, suicide bombers, pissed off protestors that hate Americans etc etc, and yes I'm speaking from experiance
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 10:56:26 PM EDT
[#35]
Link Posted: 8/16/2005 11:33:11 PM EDT
[#36]
Sorry to hear about the color difference thing on your Bushmaster. Try getting in touch with Bushmaster and see if they can do anything about it.  You paid good money for it and I don't see why they wouldn't at least ry to help you out.

The color of a gun matters more to some than others. I think that's obvious by now. My guns get beat up too fast to make color difference an issue, but I totally understand wanting to own good looking stuff. Did you get the gun on a special order, or from a shop? The reason I ask is it's always a good idea to carefully inspect a new rifle before taking it home. It saves alot of time if there is a problem needing fixing. Just don't except that gun, have it sent back and get another. By doing this the manefacturer can't deny you anything on the basis that the rifle has been in your hands and that you have anything to do with the problem (I know this doesn't apply to the color thing, but you get my meaning.)

I'm pretty sure that Bushmaster has been using every available part to try to fill in their orders for complete rifles especially due to the recent demand for AR's, so your upper could be from older stock.  I guess their main concern would be that the rifle functions, appearence coming in 2nd or 3rd. If the rifle had come to an owner like me, well, the color difference wouldn't have mattered anyway and that's what Bushmaster was probably hoping for.

Anyway, give Bushmaster a call, I'm sure they can find a resolution to your problem.
Link Posted: 8/17/2005 8:47:42 AM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:
-on the last unit, the complete upper, it was almost impossible to sight-in until I installed a new, taller front sight post.  You think they would have noticed this during factory sight-in.

Factory sight-in?    There's no such thing.  Not at BM, not at Colt, not at Armalite, etc.

Bushmaster fires all complete rifles and complete uppers FOR FUNCTION by shooting into a water tank.  This is pretty much standard proceedure at the larger AR companies.

If every rifle was shot for groups and sighted in (30 minutes per rifle, minimum), the cost of your rifle would go up significantly.

-Troy

I know that the custom shop I worked in during the early '90s didn't sight the guns in. They function tested them, and that was it. But they did guarantee certain accuracy levels, and as far as I know, got few returns for lack of accuracy. It sure would drive up the cost if an employee had to load say 10 rifles into the vehicle, drive to a range, and spend 1/2 hour to an hour getting a proper zero.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 3:55:35 AM EDT
[#38]
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:23:28 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Fuck it, I dont care.

Lumpy is the king.
Link Posted: 8/18/2005 4:31:06 AM EDT
[#40]
Let me gues. You ordered the right sight unseen and now you're unhappy because the colors don't match. Boo friggin' hoo. Have you tried calling Bushmaster to resolve the situation. Apparently not.

The next thing you now, you'll be complaining because it doesn't match your nail polish.

A little advice - Resolve the problem with Bushmaster or get over it! No one here can do anything to help you. All we can do is comisserate with you or ridicule you.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top