Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/12/2005 7:19:49 PM EDT
I got a question about these.  A guy has a NIB Bushmaster 16" AK carbine, with the AK brake, for sale here, and I am thinking of picking it up.

I just have some questions about this brake.  What is the noise on it like?  I have an AR right now that has a Mini-Y comp on it, and I cant imagine that this rifle can me much worse, but I was just curious on how they perform.

Thanks for any input.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:30:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Loud and you can really feel the concussion.

I have a Bushmaster that used to have the AK brake on it.  It reduced the recoil (minimal anyway) but made it very loud for the shooter and really could feel the concussion.

I now have a Phantom flashhider.  Not quite as loud but a little more recoil.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:37:27 PM EDT
[#2]
A friend of mine has that same model yes its louder but, if the price is good I say go for it.
Whats he asking for it?
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:39:46 PM EDT
[#3]
I had one on my 14.5" bushy before I de-banified it.

It was loud and the few times I bumpfired it with that thing I got a face full of hot gas.

Definately switch to a FH.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:44:18 PM EDT
[#4]
If you dont like it ...

think ADCO to change it out for you
or sell the upper on the EE and get a different one
or even just replace the barrel and sell the AK braked BM barrel on the EE
or
or
or
Give it to me I have a complete lower that needs an upper badly
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:53:00 PM EDT
[#5]
He is asking $750 for the rifle.

I am wanting to trade a Taurus .454 and some cash for it though.  I dont know if I will get it or not, but I did post the .454 in the EE to trade for a new govt. profile upper.  If someone wants to trade that revolver for an upper, than I wont get this one, because I have two lowers that need uppers as well
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:54:16 PM EDT
[#6]
I figured the AK brake would be loud, but is it as loud as a mini-y comp?  Those things are just downright retarded as far as noise goes, and if this AK brake is worse, than I dont think I am going to want any part of it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 7:58:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Mine is loud, but I figure it is supposed to be kinda loud. I don't feel any concussion or hot gasses. I like it.
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 10:03:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I dont think anything can be as loud as a mini-y comp
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:13:43 PM EDT
[#9]
It's not to bad for the operator, but it's pretty loud for everyone else.

I have one, and like how it reduces muzzle jump. YMMV
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:15:37 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 8/12/2005 11:51:21 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
I dont think anything can be as loud as a mini-y comp

I dunno about the mini-Y comp, but the Smith brake is a real eye-opener.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 3:59:39 AM EDT
[#12]
I have the same rifle you are looking and I (for one) like it. It is my IPSC rifle and the AK brake keeps the red dot on target for double taps in a big way @ 100 yards. It is probably loud but I always wear hearing protection and I don't shoot in indoor ranges. It is not as loud as the Mini-Y comp.

Bill
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:43:05 AM EDT
[#13]
I have one also, and its an OK set up.

On the downside, it is loud as hell, is an HBAR, and A2 upper receiver (limiting)

On the upside, it is a 1/9 14.5"er, making a phantom or vortex perm/attach natural, uses a stubby stock- kinda fits the short design of the rifle, and that price of $750.

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#14]
The AK unit stabalizes, but it is too loud for range shooting. I'd like to have mine removed off my 16" BM. Any good recommendations for removal services?
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 5:55:54 AM EDT
[#15]
I bought an A2 14.5 AK brake carbine to modify after the ban ended.  The first thing I did was put the Phantom and collapsible stock on it.
These A2's HBARs that Bushmaster produced during the ban are some of the best rifles they ever made.  

Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:27:00 AM EDT
[#16]
My experience is there is a noticeable increase in sound for the shooter, while there is a noticeable corresponding decrease in recoil.  Shooters next to me tell me it is annoyingly loud for them.
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 6:51:12 AM EDT
[#17]
I have one it works just fine for me.

I don't shoot it at the range so I don't have to worry about someone getting sand in their Mangina or panties in a wad.  I have private land to do all my evil weapon shooting at. It is loud but they are all loud that is why I wear ear protection
Link Posted: 8/13/2005 8:30:43 AM EDT
[#18]
Thanks for the info.

I might see about picking this one up then.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top