Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/16/2004 8:13:55 PM EDT
I just added the following parts to an old Bushmaster 16" HBAR upper I purchased:

EoTech 552.A65
LaRue Tactical EoTech Mount
LaRue Tactical B.U.I.S.
KAC RIS
KAC VFG

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/02rips/AR15/Bushmaster_Upper-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/02rips/AR15/Bushmaster_Upper-2.jpg

Since I am not very mechanical and I have never added parts to a rifle before. I wanted to ask for feedback from the forum to see if everything appeared to be in the right place.

I ask this becasue the BUIS is pretty close to the charging handle. And I am afraid that it could get in the way. Also, the front sight and BUIS appears to be very low in the optical lense of the EoTech.

I have a Bushmaster lower with Vltor stock to complete the gun. I plan to add a flashlight and mount... and I am looking for recomendations.

To those of you who have ever attended a Gunsite, Thunder Ranch or Black Water Carbine class... please share with me your opinions on how this setup (rifle) would do in one of those classes.

Thank you all in advance...

Link Posted: 9/16/2004 8:32:22 PM EDT
[#1]
I'd move the EOtech back on the throwlever mount. It looks like you have it on the foreward "slot".

How will it do at a 5 day school? Most likely trouble spot (provided rifle is maintained & lubed): EOTech.
Link Posted: 9/16/2004 9:22:25 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
Also, the front sight and BUIS appears to be very low in the optical lense of the EoTech.

Other than the quick release feature, the whole point to the LaRue EOTech mount is to raise the holosight, and thereby, lower the iron sights in EOTech's window.  What you're seeing is exactly what the mount was designed to do.  I use the exact same setup (except for the BUIS) and I'm really happy with it.

I agree with Unknown1Sailor - that you'll want to move the EOTech back on the LaRue mount.  Other than that, you may find that you'll want to move the VFG either forward or backward on the handguard rail  - depending on what's more comfortable once you've actually mounted the upper and fired the rifle.

Have fun!  You've got a nice setup.

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:54:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Unknown1Sailor and The_Friendly_Sponge,

Thank you for the replys. I moved the EOtech back on the LaRue mount and assembled the lower half of the rifle.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/02rips/AR15/Bushmaster_Complete-1.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/02rips/AR15/Bushmaster_Complete-2.jpg

Now that the rifle is together... it seems to have a little bit of play (it is loose) between the upper and lower halves. If this normal for a pre-ban Bushmaster XM15E2S lower and a 16" Bushmaster HBAR w/ 1/9 twist?

I have read about a product called an Accuwedge. Is this worth buying or would you recommend anything else?

I purchased a Tango Down VFG. But, it would not install on the KAC RIS (it wouldn't fit). So, I am keeping the KAC VFG for now.

The Tango Down Battle Grip is really nice. But, it seems a little small in the palm of my hand.

Since I am an "AR15 Newbie" I plan to take this rifle to the range and get familar with it... and also put it through a little workout to make sure this combination works and is reliable. Once I do that I plan to put together another one (a spare) and then seek some training.

So, if you have any input or suggestions... they would be greatly appreciated. As I do not like re-inventing the wheel and I would very much value the lessons learned from the members of this forum on what works and does not work on an AR15.

Thank you...

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 7:57:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I forgot to mention... once I feel confident that this combination is reliable and will work for my intended purpose. I plan to ship it off to Walter Birdsong and have him apply his Black-T metal coating.

My question is... can I ship the rifle directly to Birdsong to have the Black-T finish applied. Or, do I have to take it to my FFL and have him do it?

Also, when Birdsong is finished with the rifle... can he ship it directly back to me. Or, does it have to be shipped back to my FFL and then transfered back to me?

02Rips
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:09:12 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I'd move the EOtech back on the throwlever mount. It looks like you have it on the foreward "slot".

How will it do at a 5 day school? Most likely trouble spot (provided rifle is maintained & lubed): EOTech.

HUH?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:09:26 PM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If you don't mind me asking... what is the problem with the EoTech and what is the cause of failure in this sight?

I have heard talk about there being problems with this sight elsewhere. So, I also purchased an AimPoint M2 w/ LaRue mount. But, I figured I would test the EoTech throughly before installing the Aimpoint.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v474/02rips/AR15/Bushmaster_Aimpoint-1.jpg

02Rips
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:11:16 PM EDT
[#7]
I have never had a problem with my Eotech, and my rifle isn't a safe queen.

By the way 02Rips, that rifle is a sweet setup. Give both optics a try, you'll probably favor one over the other.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:15:20 PM EDT
[#8]
You only have one Ar15, but you bought both optics?  I guessing money isn't an issue for you, so why buy a parts gun?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:23:48 PM EDT
[#9]
You can call Mark LaRue and get a forwrd flip lever for the BUIS.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:37:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
I forgot to mention... once I feel confident that this combination is reliable and will work for my intended purpose. I plan to ship it off to Walter Birdsong and have him apply his Black-T metal coating.

My question is... can I ship the rifle directly to Birdsong to have the Black-T finish applied. Or, do I have to take it to my FFL and have him do it?

Also, when Birdsong is finished with the rifle... can he ship it directly back to me. Or, does it have to be shipped back to my FFL and then transfered back to me?

02Rips

I thought Birdsong was out of the picture. Has he (or someone else) started applying the Black T finish again?
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 8:42:32 PM EDT
[#11]
No flame intended but......I wouldn't bother with a new finish.

You have good taste in mounts and BUIS.

Personally speaking, I would run the Aimpoint.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:03:31 PM EDT
[#12]

I thought Birdsong was out of the picture. Has he (or someone else) started applying the Black T finish again?

I called and spoke with Walter Birdsong last Thursday. He is still very much in the picture...

02Rips
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

If you don't mind me asking... why do you like the Aimpoint over the EoTech? Is it just personal preference. Or, is there something about the Aimpoint that you think makes it a superior sight?

02Rips

Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:27:57 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

If you don't mind me asking... why do you like the Aimpoint over the EoTech? Is it just personal preference. Or, is there something about the Aimpoint that you think makes it a superior sight?

02Rips

They are both quality optics.  What anybody says is better, will be just personal preference.  I too, will be an owner of both optics in about a week or 2, depending on when it comes in.   Currently an EOTech owner.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:37:12 PM EDT
[#15]
I'm going off of my experience at Gunsite, and from what the instructors there say. They see everything under the sun, and universal opinion there is EOtech doesn't hold up. Usual point of failure is the electronics.

I tend to take the opinion of those who see many different configurations get wrung out in 5 days of high-round-count shooting seriously.

I own both an EOtech and an Aimpoint, and will use Aimpoint from now on.
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#16]
What a bunch of crap. 4 EOTechs here, one on my full auto 10.5" M16. ~15,000 rounds in the last year. 0 failure rate.

There are always lemons in *any* production line. I'd take an EOtech to war before an aimpoint, personally, because of the 1MOA dot for precision shooting, and the 65MOA ring for being able to shoot accurately close-in without kentucky windage.

YMMV. I would test both and see how you like them. In my experience, I like the EOTech further out on the rifle. This will change the balance of the weapon, but offers a wider field of view. It's all personal preference. :)

Doc
Link Posted: 9/17/2004 11:00:58 PM EDT
[#17]
I have seen a lot of EOTECH's that are doing 18+ months in Afghan still running strong...
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 5:59:12 AM EDT
[#18]
The only beef I had with the Eotechs was the reticle. The one I played with I beleive was a "D" variant. I have slight astigmatism and the reticle always looked blurry. With an Aimpoint I can turn down the brightnes and get a sharp dot. I've heard that Eotech has addressed this in later variants but I haven't tried one.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 9:33:48 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

I called and spoke with Walter Birdsong last Thursday. He is still very much in the picture...

02Rips

Will you please provide a phone number to get in touch with him.  I have wanted to refinish a gun with Black T for some time, but haven't been able to locate his service. Last I saw (quite some time ago) he had stopped, I think for health reasons.
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 1:45:22 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

02Rips

Like almost anything, it is more a presonal preference.  It's sad that some members get their panties in a wad because someone else doesn't agree with their choice.

I run Aimpoints because I like them.  I like the design and function of them.  I like being able to run them as a large ghost ring, coupled with the front sight, if it should happen to go TU.

I also like the simple red dot.  Nothing more is needed, IMO.  I have never had an Aimpoint fail.  I have personally witnessed Aimpoints take hard falls with the force of impact directly on them-with no problems.

Basically, I have no reason to use an EOTech, as I am quite happy with what I have.  Nothing more, nothing less.

Take a chill pill folks....
Link Posted: 9/18/2004 3:20:37 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
Will you please provide a phone number to get in touch with him.  I have wanted to refinish a gun with Black T for some time, but haven't been able to locate his service. Last I saw (quite some time ago) he had stopped, I think for health reasons.

W.E. Birdsong & Associates, Inc.
1435 Monterey Road
Florence, MS 39073
(601) 939-7448
(601) 936-3081 - Fax
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top