Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 7/14/2010 3:46:25 PM EDT
I have a Bushy now, looking into a 20" LAR-15 Predator Pursuit Rifle.

How is the quality of RRA compared to Bushmaster?

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 3:47:46 PM EDT
[#1]
<AR Disccusions RULES #4 - Z>

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 3:48:12 PM EDT
[#2]
The PP is awesome. Great quality.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 3:58:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

<AR
Disccusions RULES #4 - Z>

Really? How many RRA rifles have you owned? Bushmasters? I've owned a number of both, and have yet to have an issue with any of them.

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 4:09:57 PM EDT
[#4]
Both are great rifles. I personally prefer Rock River over Bushmaster. As far as comparing quality, they are both pretty equal, but you might need to touch up the gas key staking to live up to Arfcom standard, but if your not going to shoot a lot, I wouldn't worry.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 5:41:33 PM EDT
[#5]
I own a Bushmaster along with another AR, but I have heard repeatedly that the RRA stock trigger group is better than Bushmaster's. I love my Bushmaster half as much as my Noveske, but I hate the spongey Bushmaster trigger. Otherwise, it's a fine weapon.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 5:45:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I own a Bushmaster along with another AR, but I have heard repeatedly that the RRA stock trigger group is better than Bushmaster's. I love my Bushmaster half as much as my Noveske, but I hate the spongey Bushmaster trigger. Otherwise, it's a fine weapon.

My Bushys trigger was much better than the RRA.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 5:45:47 PM EDT
[#7]
Got both, neither one has let me down.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:02:00 PM EDT
[#8]
I never owned a RRA I owned a few BM`s in my day, I sold them got a Colt never looked back. I would say go RRA over BM
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:08:18 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<AR

Really? How many RRA rifles have you owned? Bushmasters? I've owned a number of both, and have yet to have an issue with any of them.

+1

Own

1 Colt

2 Bushmasters

1 LMT

1 LMT/ Bushy home build
Never any Problems with Bushmaster

I also rate RRA right up there with Bushmaster
Also not everyone wants a SHTF M4

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:09:41 PM EDT
[#10]
thanks guys...keep the opinions coming
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 6:39:03 PM EDT
[#11]
I'm not sure about the BM's, but my RRA's shelf isn't low enough to install a registered D.I.A.S.  Not an issue for my broke ass, but can be for some.  Quality is good.  Never had an issue other than trying to take that f'ing castle nut off to replace the buttstock.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:21:57 PM EDT
[#12]
My mid-length is built using a RRA upper on a Mega lower.    It shoots fantastic 5 shot groups of 1/2" at 100yrds using handloads.     Couldn't be happier with it.

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:24:37 PM EDT
[#13]
Bushmaster will take care of the shipping to them and return shipping should you have any trouble with their firearms. Customer Service is always top notch and they build quite a few more AR's than RRA does. Bushmaster does use 4150 Vanadium steel which is mil spec steel compared to RRA's 4140. They also chrome line the barrel and its button rifled for better accuracy. RRA doesnt chrome line the barrel- I believe its just the chamber. Correct me if I am wrong. Im tired today.....A few years ago I handled some Rock Rivers at the Shot Show in Las Vegas. I was not impressed. The upper and lower receiver fits were sloppy- at a trade show it shows bad quality. I handled Bushmaster and they were fitted quite good and their handguards were not wobbly not some of the RRA ones. Some say they throw out the plastic handguards and install their own rails anyways but its usually a sign of quality if things were sturdy to start out with...dont you think? Now Bushmaster cranks out a lot of rifles and have their fair share of issues. The known ones are canted front sight from over torqued barrel, or so so staking on the bolt carrier keys.  These dont seem to be much of a problem as of late since they got bought out by one of the largest weapons manufacturers out there. I forget the name at the moment. I ve had 4 Bushmaster M4s and 1 piston gun. Of the 4 they had either canted front sights or sloppy upper and lower fit, and the piston gun having a bad upper and lower fit too. Each time Master Gunsmith Jim Eden hand rebuilt my upper using new parts and customizing it for me free of charge from their parts list catalog. I was amazed at the service , hooking me up with a flip down front sight at no charge and installing my Knights Armament rail at no charge and refitting the upper and lower receivers with ones that were tight. Even tossed in a Accu wedge- no charge. All shipping was free, warranty and special work free of charge, and etc. I was and still am the happiest customer. I write them and thank them from time to time with care packages.

I dont think you will get that kind of service from RRA. You have to pay for shipping to them. That always irks me when you have to pay for someone else's mistake especially when they are suppose to correct them under warranty.

I also have KAC SR15 and Colt 6920s. None tops the Customer Service of Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 7:53:01 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Bushmaster will take care of the shipping to them and return shipping should you have any trouble with their firearms. Customer Service is always top notch and they build quite a few more AR's than RRA does. Bushmaster does use 4150 Vanadium steel which is mil spec steel compared to RRA's 4140. They also chrome line the barrel and its button rifled for better accuracy. RRA doesnt chrome line the barrel- I believe its just the chamber. Correct me if I am wrong. Im tired today.....A few years ago I handled some Rock Rivers at the Shot Show in Las Vegas. I was not impressed. The upper and lower receiver fits were sloppy- at a trade show it shows bad quality. I handled Bushmaster and they were fitted quite good and their handguards were not wobbly not some of the RRA ones. Some say they throw out the plastic handguards and install their own rails anyways but its usually a sign of quality if things were sturdy to start out with...dont you think? Now Bushmaster cranks out a lot of rifles and have their fair share of issues. The known ones are canted front sight from over torqued barrel, or so so staking on the bolt carrier keys.  These dont seem to be much of a problem as of late since they got bought out by one of the largest weapons manufacturers out there. I forget the name at the moment. I ve had 4 Bushmaster M4s and 1 piston gun. Of the 4 they had either canted front sights or sloppy upper and lower fit, and the piston gun having a bad upper and lower fit too. Each time Master Gunsmith Jim Eden hand rebuilt my upper using new parts and customizing it for me free of charge from their parts list catalog. I was amazed at the service , hooking me up with a flip down front sight at no charge and installing my Knights Armament rail at no charge and refitting the upper and lower receivers with ones that were tight. Even tossed in a Accu wedge- no charge. All shipping was free, warranty and special work free of charge, and etc. I was and still am the happiest customer. I write them and thank them from time to time with care packages.

I dont think you will get that kind of service from RRA. You have to pay for shipping to them. That always irks me when you have to pay for someone else's mistake especially when they are suppose to correct them under warranty.

I also have KAC SR15 and Colt 6920s. None tops the Customer Service of Bushmaster.

this is wrong

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 8:03:28 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

thats odd neither of my rock river rifles had canted front sight bases from over torqued barrel nuts and staking on my gas keys appear to be fine I will say the factory installed 2 stage trigger is nice . the only trouble I have had with handguards on a rock river is I bent a handguard removal tool trying to change out handguards and I broke a strap wrench removing a free float tube , they love red locktite.
but if it makes ya feel better I never had a problem out of my bushmaster v match it still runs strong.

I

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 8:55:36 PM EDT
[#16]
RRA. Break them down in components. If you look at them seperately, lower/upper,  LPK, NM 2 stage trigger, etc.; you'll notice these are used in top builds because of their quality. If you can look at one and cycle it you'll see/feel that quality.
Link Posted: 7/14/2010 9:19:38 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

<AR

You need to buy a lotto ticket....

I owned a Bushmaster XM-15 and it was not a good experience (the story has been told here a many a time).... their customer service wasn't even close to acceptable and it was a complete waste of my time. I was dead set on buying a RRA a while back, until I handled a few of them. I wasn't impressed. RRA 2 stage triggers anyone? I thought they were overpirced. You can get something better for a little more money.

I have owned Colts and some of them didn't impress me either. I have since sold off all of the Colts and the only Colt product I have is a 6940 upper. I don't want to sound like a Koolaid drinker, but if I were buying a complete rifle, it would be a BCM. I do not even own a BCM product and I hate that logo, but the reviews can't all be wrong. I have a few nice builds that are assembled from all of the individual parts that I like. Everyone can't afford to go that route, but I hate the thought of someone else having the Bushmaster experience that I did. So, my opinion is..... Don't waste your time.

Link Posted: 7/14/2010 9:37:44 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Where was this excellent customer service when my Bushy ate it? They said they I could BUY the parts from them and fix it myself. Yeah, great customer service I GAVE that rifle away after I fixed it with parts I bought from Delton. The rifle was probably better then than when it came from Bushmaster.

Bushy or RRA? RRA, but.... honestly, I wouldn't buy a RRA either.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:25:55 AM EDT
[#19]
ouch ouch! Even though i have never owned an RRA i can say there is nothing wrong with either as both are good quality, especially for what your paying.

And in the 10 years of owning a multitude of bushies i have never had poor customer service.. maybe someone was being rude?
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:16:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Well I dunno about the above post but the fit between my upper and lower on my RRA is rock solid, I believe this has seen many posts here.  I also agree with the other above post, I've got a 16" 5.56 chambered RRA barrel thats chrome lined, from front to back.

I've also owned a Bushy and didn't have any problems....take your pick both are good companies with good customer service.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:08:34 AM EDT
[#21]
I own both and am pleased with both.  My bushy is a 16" hbar - it has never let me down and it eats anything I feed it.  My RR is a 20" setup with the RR two stage trigger.  I use it to keep the coyotes thinned out.  It's a very accurate rifle.

I'd recommend either mfr.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:15:51 AM EDT
[#22]
I had both at one time - the BM was sold and I kept the RRA.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:27:51 AM EDT
[#23]
They are both average rifles of average quality. Both have average to below average customer service. RRA 2 stage is was over rated and in my experience most people asking for them don't even know why they are.

My experience, owned both and sell both for a living.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:05:27 AM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is wrong

This is incorrect as well.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:07:23 AM EDT
[#25]
I have no experience with the Predator pursuit, but I have owned and do own Rifles from each maker. I had a BM a4 style that was surprisingly accurate, but had the worst trigger I have ever seen on an AR. In fact, I installed an RRA 2-stage national match trigger in an RRA Recce build, and replaced the BM trigger with the RRA single stage that I removed. Problem solved.

I do have an RRA Stainless in 16 inch with the Wylde chamber and 1:8 twist, and it is probably the most accurate rifle I have ever owned. I've never shot smaller groups with any bolt gun, and I've never seen anyone else do it either. I know it CAN be done, but the typical civilian shooter at the range is not doing it. I would guess the PP would be even better. The 2 stage trigger is great and probably downright necessary for a varmint type rifle.

BM rifles I have owned are a little more gray than the RRA, and the finish seems more easily worn. Other than that, I think they are about the same. I'm not prepared to say that BM triggers suck, having just dealt with the one bad one, but ALL RRA triggers are very good. I would not hesitate to buy from either company if they have what I need, and the price is right.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:20:46 AM EDT
[#26]
<AR

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:26:25 AM EDT
[#27]
I own Colt, Bushmaster, Rock River and some others!  Sixteen in all and have never had a problem with any of them.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 7:54:51 AM EDT
[#28]

I have owned a RRA Entry Tac since 2006.  Never had an issue from that rifle that wasn't related to ammo.  Even used it on-duty for awhile between builds.  It gets shot regularly, and has an estimated 10,000 rounds through it.  It even has the "crap" 2-stage I keep hearing about, and guess what, it hasn't self-destructed and torn the time-space continuum as some preach it will right out of the box.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 8:29:39 AM EDT
[#29]
I have both, both are great rifles.
If I had to choose between the two I would take the RRA.
Their barrels seem to be a little more accurate for me.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 8:34:50 AM EDT
[#30]
Excellent info, thanks for the help

I've never had any problems with my BM, so.......................I went ahead and ordered the RRA Predator 20"
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 8:41:57 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
A few years ago I handled some Rock Rivers at the Shot Show in Las Vegas.
The upper and lower receiver fits were sloppy- at a trade show it shows bad quality.

??????

In my 'circle of friends' there are 5 RRA's ... All were purchased new.

On everyone, the upper / lower fit has been so tight that you needed to use a tool to push the take down pins out. Even after thousands of rnds my upper / lower fit is still very tight. I've had people shoot my rifle and then comment on how tight it is....
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 8:42:02 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
ouch ouch! Even though i have never owned an RRA i can say there is nothing wrong with either as both are good quality, especially for what your paying.

And in the 10 years of owning a multitude of bushies i have never had poor customer service.. maybe someone was being rude?

I wasn't being rude. I knew rudeness certainly wouldn't get me anything. Being polite didn't get me anything either....

I can guarantee I will never experience Bushmaster customer service  again. If you guys are happy with Bushmaster.... good for you. I'll spend my money with companies that rely on a reputation for quality to sell their products instead of good marketing..... and I hate that ghey @$$ cartoon snake logo, now that I understand what it means.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 8:50:55 AM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
Quoted:
A few years ago I handled some Rock Rivers at the Shot Show in Las Vegas.
The upper and lower receiver fits were sloppy- at a trade show it shows bad quality.

??????

In my 'circle of friends' there are 5 RRA's ... All were purchased new.

On everyone, the upper / lower fit has been so tight that you needed to use a tool to push the take down pins out. Even after thousands of rnds my upper / lower fit is still very tight. I've had people shoot my rifle and then comment on how tight it is....

The reason yours is so tight is directly related to him complaining about his being loose. RRA had a problem with loose fit and "corrected" the problem by making it too tight. That tight fit sometimes creates issues with mating uppers from other MFGs. I had two instances of that recently. One was with a Tac Sol .22 upper and the other a CMT upper. YMMV

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:46:36 AM EDT
[#34]
My Bushmaster A4 has an M4 barrel extension and corresponding anodized feed ramps in the upper receiver. It also has the correct relief cut for the rear lug in the lower receiver. The barrels also have the correctly specified Nato cut chamber.

Last I checked, RRA uses a rifle extension, and hacks in "feedramps" with a dremmel, totally destroying the anodizing that the ramps should have had. RRA also omits the blueprint specified rear lug relief cut in the lower receiver, which is why the rifle has to be hammered apart and together. The weapon isnt tight because of excellent maching and fitting, it is tight because the machining on the lower receiver is incomplete. The RRA 20 inch barrels use some kind of hybrid "Wylde" chamber, as opposed to the chamber specified by the TDP.

Considering the statements above, it would seem that the correct choice is fairly easy.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 11:25:40 AM EDT
[#35]
I can't speak to the other statements, but what is wrong with the Wylde chamber?  We don't have to have weapons that adhere to TDP and I have heard nothing bad about this chambering.  Lothar-Walther, Shilen and Krieger all offer Wylde chamberings.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 11:45:08 AM EDT
[#36]
Of the two listed I would choose the Bushy, but since I have a choice, I spend my money elsewhere with better companies.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 12:54:15 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
My Bushmaster A4 has an M4 barrel extension and corresponding anodized feed ramps in the upper receiver. It also has the correct relief cut for the rear lug in the lower receiver. The barrels also have the correctly specified Nato cut chamber.

Last I checked, RRA uses a rifle extension, and hacks in "feedramps" with a dremmel, totally destroying the anodizing that the ramps should have had. RRA also omits the blueprint specified rear lug relief cut in the lower receiver, which is why the rifle has to be hammered apart and together. The weapon isnt tight because of excellent maching and fitting, it is tight because the machining on the lower receiver is incomplete. The RRA 20 inch barrels use some kind of hybrid "Wylde" chamber, as opposed to the chamber specified by the TDP.

Considering the statements above, it would seem that the correct choice is fairly easy.

And you know this how?
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:25:05 PM EDT
[#38]
I own both. and have zero complaints with either rifle. I have owned the busmaster xm-15 for 10 years and the weapon is more accurate than I am. As far as fitness, the rock river is a little tighter and the 2 stage trigger is very good. I liked the trigger so well I purchased one to change out the bushmaster trigger. The accuracy of the RR is yet to be determined because I have not purchased a scope equal to the burris I currently have on the bushmaster, but I see from the short time I have owned it that I will not be dissapointed.

I would go with either one.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:27:25 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And you know this how?

Wrong and wrong.
You can't 'hack' with a dremmel, lets keep it real. RRA dremmels their feed ramps a certain way that obviously works
as you'd be hard pressed to find a thread stating a FTF of any type of ammo.

The tightness of the upper / lower begans towards the front pivot lug and some new uppers have to be hammered down with the heel of the hand or with a rubber mallet and RRA tells you to expect this on some brand new guns. With shooting, the two surfaces will mate each other and loosen up. Mine did within fifty rds. and I could finger remove the take down pins. After 5k + rds on my Entry Tac the upper breaks open and shuts like a hand fitted over&under and has zero play.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:30:34 PM EDT
[#40]
I dont have a great deal of experience with RRA, just some parts, lower, BCG, LPK and they seemed to be fine, never had any problems. However I would go with Bushmaster over RRA if the price was close.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 2:42:16 PM EDT
[#41]
Either one is GTG - can't go wrong.  Have used both but I settled on an RRA.    My RRA entry tactical has a gov. profile ( light under handguards)  chrome lined 1:7 R4 wilson barrel.  Restaked the carrier key and replaced the two stage with a single stage trigger and put on a used M2 aimpoint.    1000s of rounds later no problems or FTF/FTEs.  

As far as the machined ramps.  It's a hell of a lot better than some of my M4 anodized ramps that don't match the barrel.  In fact for all the rounds I have put through it, none have ever hit or damaged that machined area.  

I know it's not the same as a 6920 with TDP parts, but considering how little I paid for it,  I am OK that it's only a commercial gun for LSHD guys like me.  

ETA: the chamber is 5.56 nato not wylde on this barrel and the FSB is F marked.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:05:14 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:

Quoted:

My Bushys trigger was much better than the RRA.
Agreed, assuming you're talking 2 stage triggers, other than that they run neck and neck.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 3:52:19 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

this is wrong

This is incorrect as well.

That whole original post seems filled with information/problems that I have yet to encounter or hear about from others.

*ETA: OP, any post on here that involves people discussing horrible failures and egregious manufacturing shortcomings of both RRA and BM can be discounted as untrue or freakish, lightning strikes the same place twice-type occurrences. I don't think you would have asked if you didn't already know that these companies are quality, so I'm sure you can see that there is a significant amount of misinformation on here.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 4:26:55 PM EDT
[#44]

[/quote]

That whole original post seems filled with information/problems that I have yet to encounter or hear about from others.

*ETA: OP, any post on here that involves people discussing horrible failures and egregious manufacturing shortcomings of both RRA and BM can be discounted as untrue or freakish, lightning strikes the same place twice-type occurrences. I don't think you would have asked if you didn't already know that these companies are quality, so I'm sure you can see that there is a significant amount of misinformation on here.

[/quote]

I always appreciate the info I receive when posting a question. But, like you said, I've done my homework....that's why I ordered the RRA Predator.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:02:11 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

[/quote]

I always appreciate the info I receive when posting a question. But, like you said, I've done my homework....that's why I ordered the RRA Predator.[/quote]

I think you'll be pleased.
Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:34:02 PM EDT
[#46]
Don't have a RRA, but my Bushmaster trigger is better than the one on my Colt....just saying.
Quoted:

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 5:37:58 PM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Don't have a RRA, but my Bushmaster trigger is better than the one on my Colt....just saying.

Quoted:

I've done a lot of work on both of these rifles. When it comes to single
stage triggers I see no advantage one way or the other. It's a crap shoot and changes from one rifle to the next in either manufacturers line. 2 stage
triggers are an entirely different matter. RRA's 2 stage is a much better
feeling trigger, more durable and in my less than valuable opinion a much better design.

Link Posted: 7/15/2010 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#48]
Quoted:
Of the two listed I would choose the Bushy, but since I have a choice, I spend my money elsewhere with better companies.

That is my sentiments also. I have abused my Bushmaster rifles more than any of my others, they have good barrels and good triggers. I have never had a single failure or problem with any of my Bushmasters, they have been very good rifles. This does not mean that Rock River would be better or worse, apparently they too get most things right.

That said, I will never buy a Rock River nor Bushmaster ever again. When I can buy a Spikes or Bravo Company (BCM) for less or equal money, why would I buy a RR or BM

Once I bought my BCMs and Spikes rifles, I became fans of these companies and loyal customers to them. My Bushmasters just sit there now, being ones I will end up giving to family and friends. Why buy goodness when you can buy greatness? And for comparable money! Once you see/feel the differences, it becomes more obvious. I base my decisions on failure rates from various carbine courses and their instructors. I don't want to become that guy...  We all have choices, that is a great thing. It's your money to spend as YOU want.
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 7:55:38 PM EDT
[#49]
I've shot and built rifle with parts from both, I think the only thing RRA has over Bushmaster as far as quality goes is a much better finish on their rifles as a whole, and better barrels. RRA gets their barrels from Wilson Combat, not sure about BM blanks. I know a lot of people that complain about accuracy from chrome lined bushmasters but the un-lined moly barrel report top notch accuracy. The only other thing I can say is that customer service for both in the last few years SUCKS. I was diehard RRA till EVERY LITTLE DANG PART got put on a sixth month waiting list. But then I met the impressive staff and the "get it the same week no matter what" shipping of Yankee Hill Machine. I'll never go back. Oh, one more thing, what is with the bushmaster seller/owner attitude at gun shows? "You know the difference between God and a Bushmaster? God knows he's not a rifle." Enjoy that, pass it on, just replace the "bushmaster" with whom or whatever you want !
Link Posted: 7/17/2010 8:04:06 PM EDT
[#50]
The Wilson AR barrels are not Wilson Combat, they are Wilson Arms.  Not saying they are bad, but it's a different company.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top