Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/24/2006 9:50:25 AM EDT
never owned a military type rifle but hunted since i was 6 ...

recently a pack of feral dogs moved into the community i live in ...

4 of them chased my 6 year old son on his fourwheeler through our meadow ... (they don't make a smiley face that describes how pissed you get when you see something like that)

bought the bushy ... "sighted" it in across the hood of my using some old Q3131 that the dealer threw in with the gun (5 boxes worth) ...

2 of the 4 won't be chasing anyone anymorehence
went out today and sited it in at the range with some Hornady Match 223 75 gr. BTHP #8026

WOW!

factory stock gun ...
factory ammo ...
old 4-16 tasco that a friend GAVE me ... ("had it on a .22 ... you want it?)

3 shot group all touching at 100 yards
3 shot group i covered with a quarter at  200  ...

that was on a 30 degree day with a sweatshirt on ...

only question i have is what the hell is the cheap looking plastic doughnut on the bottom of the pistol grip for?
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:31:00 AM EDT
[#1]
lol nice shot.. the cheap plastic donut is the "sniper grip" or whatever the hell they call it. Personally I think the Hogue grip has the best feeling out of all the grips ive tried.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 10:41:06 AM EDT
[#2]
what is consistant with most BM varminter, is that its less than 1MOA performance. Ive had point of aim results using winchester 45g varmint ammo, its explosive. Now HP go get the other two dogs
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 11:55:47 AM EDT
[#3]
I am getting better with my Bushmaster V.S. but at 200 yards the best I have done is about baseball size (with softball size the norm).  Its me not the gun.  For some reason I'm just not that good at the crosshairs and Varmiter set up.  When I first got it I was better with my 14.5 LMT W/ low power ACOG.  Now the groups are about the same size with either gun.
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 12:21:39 PM EDT
[#4]
"3 shot group all touching at 100 yards
3 shot group i covered with a quarter at 200 ..."

That is about what I am getting with my Varminter using the winchester 45g JHP varmint ammo.  Been very happy with it!  You obviously are too!
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 3:54:43 PM EDT
[#5]
when the weather warms up i'm try and tighten the 200 yard group up ...

i'll load 1 at a time by hand just to see what the gun/ammo combo can do ..

don't worry V-Rod the only thing that will prevent me from smokin' those two would be one of my nieghbors doing it first
Link Posted: 3/24/2006 7:50:14 PM EDT
[#6]
We have had dog problems before and have killed many,many dogs.  We used .22lr and shotguns because I was not into ARs yet.  Just the other day I was talking to a guy that uses a 20" Colt AR for killing dogs and he said the 45g stuff looked like it did more damage.  He had used 62g HP but said after using the 45g HP stuff he would not go back.  Has anyone else seen this?
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:26:10 AM EDT
[#7]
I can vouch for the win white box 45 gr being explosive, as can pretty much anyone else who's tried them.

Hard to find another bullet that does as much damage truthfully
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 12:47:09 AM EDT
[#8]
Still 2 dogs left,better get another AR. You dont want to get caught under gunned.
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 1:22:04 AM EDT
[#9]
Better watch who’s dog’s your shooting at, you know how the “back woods” people are around here
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:35:24 PM EDT
[#10]
going with the heavy bullets 'cause the dogs have gotten pretty leary ... harris bipod went on today ...

saw one at about 400 yards today ... but he was moving quick ...

400 yards=24" drop

Hylton most of my neighbors are jealous that i got the first two ...
Link Posted: 3/25/2006 3:50:58 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
going with the heavy bullets 'cause the dogs have gotten pretty leary ... harris bipod went on today ...

saw one at about 400 yards today ... but he was moving quick ...

400 yards=24" drop

Hylton most of my neighbors are jealous that i got the first two ...

Where are you in West Virginia.....

Stainless requests permission to be your spotter/second shooter... SIR!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 3/26/2006 5:34:50 AM EDT
[#12]
middle of the state, small town call Weston ...

and i would enjoy the company ...

i have no idea what it's like to be a sniper ...

but after the first two;
one drinking at a creek that i'd tracked them to
and the other quartering away who had stopped to see what i was

the remaining two have gotten much better at avoiding "companionship"

2 weeks and just barely saw the one i talked about above

i watched the dawn break this morning cold, wet and trying to keep my rifle dry ...

pussed out after four hours and no sightings ...

but after chasing my baby there can be only one outcome ...
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top