Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/11/2004 10:32:12 AM EST
Ok, I can't decide between these two brands. From what I see on the RRA website, the only real difference is the trigger. (I'm looking for an M4 style AR15.) Any suggestions on which one to get?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:41:57 AM EST
RRA is good, but if you're gonna pay the same price, go bushmaster, they have the best barrels from what i hear. i have been making the same decision and put in an order to BM today.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:46:14 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2004 10:46:46 AM EST by DM1975]
I have owned both and both are wonderful, no noticeable difference in quality. I currently have a RRA and I will never get rid of it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:50:14 AM EST
Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:50:38 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:51:02 AM EST
RRA will not always be a chrome lined barrel, and the twist rates may be different, just make sure you know the specs of what you're getting. Both are excellent rifles.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 10:55:47 AM EST
My RRA barrel is chrome lined, If you get an M4 upper through Adco it is available as an option so I would venture to say that RRA would probably offer this as an option also. Mine is also a 1/9 twist.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:31:17 PM EST
IMHO, go Bushmaster.

Sly
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:31:52 PM EST
I have bought a Eagle Arms, and in that day RRA was pretty new..
I then boughta Bushmaster, and i will never buy any other (except maybe Colt if i run into some money)...

The specs above to prove it to me, rather have the better, chrome-lined bareell, 4150 steel, and brand name, (which may not mean much, but i always believe you get the better 'pick of the litter' when you use a brand name)....not to mention Bushmaster is the only of the two you are looking at that is currently producing for the U.S. Army (somethin to think about)

I m not intending to devalue RRA, but i think for the extra money, Bushy is the best buy in the long run..plus run a search about problems w/ RRA uppers having peeling issues ??..i just remember reading something about that..dont take my word for it, ive never owned one.

I have heard RRA have the extended gas port tube on their carbines to help presurization / extraction or other problems..it might also help w/ free floating?? do a search for it too

well..thats about it..sorry for the rambling

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:36:13 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bush_Nato_04:
I then boughta Bushmaster, and i will never buy any other (except maybe Colt if i run into some money)...

The specs above to prove it to me, rather have the better, chrome-lined bareell, 4150 steel, and brand name, (which may not mean much, but i always believe you get the better 'pick of the litter' when you use a brand name)....not to mention Bushmaster is the only of the two you are looking at that is currently producing for the U.S. Army (somethin to think about)

I m not intending to devalue RRA, but i think for the extra money, Bushy is the best buy in the long run..plus run a search about problems w/ RRA uppers having peeling issues ??..i just remember reading something about that..dont take my word for it, ive never owned one.

I have heard RRA have the extended gas port tube on their carbines to help presurization / extraction or other problems..it might also help w/ free floating?? do a search for it too

What exactly is Bushmaster producing for the Army?
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 12:41:46 PM EST
Thanks guys. I went ahead and ordered the Bushmaster this afternoon. Out the door price should be about $900.00 and it should be here in a few days. I got really lucky, the dealer was able to get one somehow.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:02:50 PM EST

Bushmaster or RRA?

yes.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 1:06:50 PM EST
You will not be dissapointed.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:24:51 PM EST
??????????????????????????????????

im pretty sure they had orders for m16's from the army...sorry no solid prrof right here...ask around i guess....

I dont think RRA has ever had a gvt. contract???...

??????
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:26:32 PM EST

im pretty sure they had orders for m16's from the army...sorry no solid prrof right here...ask around i guess....

??????

Back during the gulf war they made some but not alot of M4's but thats it.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 2:43:30 PM EST

??????

They've never had one before, but they've got one or two now. I'm sure most of us know about the DEA/FBI contracts they picked up. That's why I went with RRA myself. Bushy seemed a bit expensive, and if people trust their lives to them, then I'll take one. Mine works like a charm!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:52:31 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2004 3:53:43 PM EST by tommytrauma]

??????

As AZyoung said, RRA is currently providing ARs to the DEA.

My RRA was $665 shipped for a 16" carbine. So far, it shoots great. Gonna wring it out at a class this weekend.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 3:59:37 PM EST
Why not both RRA and Bushmaster?

I have a Bushmaster 4150 steel, Chrome-lined bore and chamber, 24" NM Heavy Barrel (Pre-Ban) with A2 hider and bayonet lug

It's mated to a RRA A4 upper with RRA bolt carrier group, RRA lower parts, RRA upper parts (Wolff Extractor Spring, Wolff Action Spring, Power Custom Extended Charging Handle Latch), all on an Ameetec Arms lower receiver.

So it's a Bushy/RRA/Ameetec rifle.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 4:18:48 PM EST
I just built an all RRA upper/lower with a Colt A1 buttstock and installed a Bushmaster 1/7 chrome lined govt profile barrel.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:12:57 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 5:23:41 PM EST
RRA Best quality
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:46:53 PM EST
Bushmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 6:57:01 PM EST
Should I say it? Should I? Maybe I should say it and run.

Colt
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 7:21:39 PM EST
The Bushmaster will be fine.

Personally, I'd get one from RRA.

Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:27:30 PM EST
My favorite is all RRA with bushy barrels (M4 and superlight) the absolute best quality for the money there is. I have built numerous rifles in this exact configuration and they are flawless. Once you start building you will never buy a complete rifle again.
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 8:43:14 PM EST
BUSHMASTER

rra would be a close 2nd
Link Posted: 10/11/2004 9:23:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2004 9:23:49 PM EST by Leisure_Shoot]

RRA just built several hundred for DEA.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 12:22:58 AM EST
I have shot them all, pre-ban Colt, BM, Oly, Eagle and from my evaluation from an engineering standppoint I selected RRA. I am in the process fo building my third one. Now I am not an AR expert by no means, but own quality firearms and have been shooting for 30+ years, and I looked long and hard before I purchased my frst AR.

The quality, fit and relaibility is there. As far as I am concerned, they are setting the pace and others are following.

The RRA is really catching on, look at the number of post now compared to say 12 to 18 months ago. The RRA staff is wonderful to deal with and the shipping service is 3 days.

IMO, I have found my brand and will be sticking with it. My shooting buddy who has two Colts is now buying RRA. His brother who shoots competition in the Northeast says RRA is taking over the firing lines, there must be something good there.

Just my opinion.

77Bronc
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 3:44:52 AM EST
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 6:47:27 AM EST
RRA for me. I had a Bushy post ban M4gery and had nothing but problems. It had a poor finish, canted FST, jammed regularly and was less accurate than my current RRA Entry carbine. I have shot the same ammunition (same box) out of the RRA that was giving me trouble out of the Bushy and it has worked flawlessly. I see no advantage to the Bushmaster, other than standard chrome lined barrels.

Chris
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 7:51:16 AM EST

RRA builds the DEA rifles. Bushmaster sells the PoPo a lot of rifles, sometimes with mixed results. Both brands have good reputations in the ar community, except with the Colt fans.

Since Bushmaster has the largest segment of the commercial ar market, you will probably get a skewed result around here. You will get the rifle most popular with hobby shooters.

The one thing you find the most around here is cultism. Define your needs, then start looking for a rifle.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:05:20 AM EST
BUILD a RRA rifle, but put a Bushy chrome lined barrel in it. Best of both worlds.

But it wouldnt be worth the money to buy a complete RRA then swap barrels. Might as well buy the Bushy for that unless someones gonna give you a lot for the extra barrel or you need it for somethig else anyway.
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 9:22:00 AM EST

Originally Posted By RAMBOSKY:
Should I say it? Should I? Maybe I should say it and run.

Colt

+1

Couldn't be happier with mine!
Link Posted: 10/12/2004 11:58:46 PM EST
I really +1 on the COLT as well...

If you have the money, go Colt
then Bushy,,,then, i guess, RRA.

Yeah i heard about the RRA deal w/ the DEA, but bushmaster did produce m16's for the army in the gulf war, which outnumbers DEA production #'s....my point to stick w/ bushy is that i believe by sticking w/ the brand name you get a bettter chance for the "pick of the litter"
and ive never seen a bushmaster, colt, RRA, EA or any good brand w/ a bad finish.

This is the only link i found for peeling complaints (here on ARFcom)
http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=118&t=203996

Link Posted: 10/13/2004 1:06:26 PM EST
Most Bushmasters have sucky triggers, not all, but most. RRAs will likely have nice triggers, provided you like 2 stage triggers.
Link Posted: 10/13/2004 5:48:34 PM EST
Personally, I'm a Colt fan, but the RRA/DEA is hot!!!
Top Top