Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 1/28/2006 12:31:37 PM EDT
I've been shooting ARs for awhile, mostly scoped, with plain ole trigger, and Mil surplus ammo.  I bit the bullet, and got a Bushy A2 match upper. A couple of other firemen, and myself, decided to shoot in the S.E. Police and Fire games this year. The only requirements I know of, are the gun has to be military style, with iron sights. We will be shooting 100yds, standing, at black silhouettes(?spelling).  Questions: What moa is this rifle capable of? Should I invest in a trigger upgrade? What is a normal good score?   Are crosshair front sights legal in most competitions?  How do most matches score?  What ammo should I shoot? I don't reload, and don't have a fortune to spend. I'm a member of a range that is about 5 min from my house, I practice at least once a week. I shoot fair, but really want to improve. I have read and read all the topics I can find on arfcom, and they have helped a lot. I want to get better. I know this rifle can out shoot my current abilities. How do I get closer to shooting what it is capable of? Please help a fellow ARFCOMER get better, Any advice will be greatly appreciated. Thanks, Treeman
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 2:02:48 PM EDT
[#1]
Your Bushy Match upper should shoot sub-MOA with match ammo.  I'd reccomend Black Hills blue box seeing you don't reload.  Stick with your post front sight.  I routinely shoot silhouettes at 500 and 600yds with iron sights.  

A match trigger will be well worth the dollars.  I'd reccomend an RRA 2-stage match trigger.  The can be had for around $90.  

Seems to me like the score will be counted as hits or misses only if you are shooting at silhouettes.  Get some round 100 yd bulls and practice shooting prone, sitting and standing.  Ask around and see if you can find a High Power Rifle League in the area.  That would be what you are looking to find.  High Power shooters are a good bunch of people and will be very willing to help you out.

ETA: Here's a link for you:  www.alabamaservicerifleteam.com/  Get in touch with someone here, and they will get you squared away.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 3:03:26 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks for the info, I have really been thinking about the 2 stage, and will probably go ahead and bite the bullet. I haven't seen any Black hills blue box that I recall, but there are a few higher end sporting good stores, with better ammo selection, around that will probably have it. As far as scoring, I was thinking, 20shots times scoring ring equal score ex. 20x9ring=180, is that right? They also have 3 gun matches, and long range scope matches, and pistol. I can hang in there with a scope gun, that is what the majority of my shooting has been, I have an AR 24"RR varmit upper, that will shoot 3/4moa with surplus, and a steyr 300mag, that will do 1/2 with good ammo. I may shoot in those as well. Thanks again,..........Treeman
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:32:58 PM EDT
[#3]

I haven't seen any Black hills blue box that I recall, but there are a few higher end sporting good stores, with better ammo selection, around that will probably have it.

I order mine through cabelas.com: http://tinyurl.com/aqsed.

I use the 69 grain matchking...$23.99/50 rounds + shipping.
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 4:40:18 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:

I haven't seen any Black hills blue box that I recall, but there are a few higher end sporting good stores, with better ammo selection, around that will probably have it.

I order mine through cabelas.com: http://tinyurl.com/aqsed.

I use the 69 grain matchking...$23.99/50 rounds + shipping.

Thanks, I have two local stores I'm going to check, if not I will order them.........Treeman
Link Posted: 1/28/2006 5:11:03 PM EDT
[#5]
June 08, 2006 LARGE BORE NRA 500 SR1 Target  ....10 standing100yds.......10sitting rapid fire100yds...........10prone rapid fire 100yds........20prone slowfire100yds........June 09, 2006LARGE BORE OPEN....20RDS standing 20min..........June 9, 2006LARGE BORE SERVICE 20rds, 20min standingB27 target.........These can be shot as two or four man teams, any LEO, FD, or Mil, all active or retired. $30 for one event, $40 for all three, at Magic city gun club. You don't have to be from the southeast to compete. Y'all come!   Birmingham, Alabama
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top