Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/11/2005 7:40:09 PM EDT
Curious if anyone out there has tried the Bushmaster Mini-14 mags. If so, are they of decent quality? When they are empty do they hold the bolt open like the factory mags? Any thoughts on these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/12/2005 3:57:16 PM EDT
c'mon....somebody has to have either seen or heard of these...
Link Posted: 9/12/2005 9:57:41 PM EDT
I've not personally tried them but have heard many complaints about them being ordinary aftermarket mags. Get some Ruger or PPI mags.

Dennis Jenkins

Originally Posted By FreedomIsNotFree:
Curious if anyone out there has tried the Bushmaster Mini-14 mags. If so, are they of decent quality? When they are empty do they hold the bolt open like the factory mags? Any thoughts on these would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Link Posted: 9/13/2005 2:13:01 PM EDT
I've not personally tried them but have heard many complaints about them being ordinary aftermarket mags. Get some Ruger or PPI mags.

Ruger hi cap mags were always difficult to get, and are very expensive when they can be found.

PMI aka Federal Ordnance mags... out of business, but fortunately many were produced. These can still be found.

USA and Western, work OK at first, but the metal is thin and soft, will not hold up like PMI. The Bushmaster mags are USA or Western.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 8:32:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2005 8:35:35 AM EDT by GySgtD]
I finally bit the bullet and obtained three genuine Ruger 20rd mags <was all I could afford, due to their high price>. That put me back $120. The difference in quality between them and even the much ballyhooed PMI mags was night and day.

Seeing as how the Mini 14 is not particulary suited to a long drawn out gun battle, I think that three mags is plenty.

almost forgot to mention why the above comments is relevent to this thread
From what I hear, the Bushmaster mags suck. They may be cheaper than a factory mag, but they sure won't give you a warm and fuzzy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 7:39:25 PM EDT

Originally Posted By FreedomIsNotFree:

The ones I purchased from bushmaster were made by Westin (sp?) They also make the 40rd AR15 mags bushmaster sells.I got rid of the mini 14 westin mags and went for factory ruger mags.
The Westin 40's are a tight fit in some mag wells and are made of steel. I'm gonna keep them for a future frankin mag project
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 10:20:47 AM EDT
The problem with most Mini mags is the quality or thickness of the metal at the front lock-pin port. After repeated insertions the distortion of the pin port can cause it to lock up in the well.

The mag design works well with the .308 carbines it was made for due to he inceased size and steel used in the build.

Having said that, the only mags I'd buy would be Ruger factory mags.
Top Top