Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
11/22/2017 10:05:29 PM
Posted: 8/29/2004 2:44:52 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 1:33:35 PM EST by cheaptrick]
When looking over my rifle yesterday, I noticed a small uneven crack running from the corner of the ejection port, to the brass deflector.

Not sure how this will affect my rifle in the short term, but it's something I want to get fixed for sure.

Can this be corrected by brazing, welding, etc.??

Anybody else had to deal with this issue?? Does this fall under the BM warranty??
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:00:43 AM EST
i would definately call BM about that. don't even think of doing anything until you see what they will do about it. can you post pics?
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:07:09 AM EST
Thanks.

Negative on pics. No camera.

Not sure you could even see it if I could take a pic.

It is a uneven crack too.

I'm a little rough on my equipment. But, this rifle has been babied so far.

I bought the rifle used, but unfired. It's an Annivesary Edition BM, and well over the warranty coverage, I would think.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 3:59:15 AM EST
IMO, they should still make it right. unless you've been using your rifle to drive in tent stakes it should be fine. i doubt you're any rougher on your weapon than the troops in Iraq are on their M16s.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:04:05 AM EST
Are you sure its a crack? or is it a machin mark?

TG
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:14:00 AM EST
This is how I would handle it:

"Oh my, it looks like a crack near the ejection port. I'll call Bushmaster.".................

"Hello Bushmaster it looks like I have a crack near the ejection port. OK, I'll send it back to you."

"Hello Bushmaster, I got back my upper today (fixed or replaced) thanks for fixing my problem."
OR.......
"Hello, Bushmaster, I'm sorry I didn't realize it was just a machine mark, my mistake."

Hay you guys on ARFCOM, you never guess what happened with my Bushmaster............
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:22:39 AM EST
I wouldn't shoot it until it's checked out be Bushmaster.

Call 'em. They have a great customer relations department. Very friendly.

Colt_SBR
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:32:59 AM EST
More than likely they'll be happy yo fix it for free...Its a libality issue they'd rather deal with sooner than later if you know what I mean.

~Crp
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:39:58 AM EST
It seems like someone else here thought that they had a crack in the same spot and it turned out to be a machining mark.

Are you sure that it is a crack? If so, return it to Bushmaster and they will make it right with you.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:40:53 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/29/2004 4:45:56 AM EST by cheaptrick]
Defiantly NOT a machine mark. It's an uneven crack.

I don't have the option of sending it back to be repaired right now, I'm taking a course at TEES next month, and have to use something.

What about the warranty coverage possibly being expired??
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 4:53:33 AM EST
What are you nuts, send it back, they will make it right. That thing could blow up in your face.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:01:11 AM EST

Originally Posted By AUT_BELLUM:
What are you nuts, send it back, they will make it right. That thing could blow up in your face.

+1. don't hold it by your man parts either. that could hurt.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 5:42:05 AM EST

Originally Posted By cheaptrick:
Defiantly NOT a machine mark. It's an uneven crack.

I don't have the option of sending it back to be repaired right now, I'm taking a course at TEES next month, and have to use something.

What about the warranty coverage possibly being expired??

Overnight it to them, tell them what is going on and when you need it, and offer to pay overnight back to you if you have to. They should treat you right.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:04:08 AM EST
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:36:46 AM EST
Thanks for the responses. I wont be firing it until they check it out at BM. Good advise.

The crack doesnt go all the way through.

Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:45:04 AM EST
glad you've seen the light, I've felt the financial pain of taking $2000+ aluminum bicycle frames and thrown them in the garbage because they had hairline stress cracks. no one more practice run, no I need it to race this weekend, the injury is not worth it. stressed aluminum is a time bomb waiting to go off, no matter how slight. I've seen some ugly stuff when it does decide to let go.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 6:53:38 AM EST
Yeah, I have gotten into the frantic mode, trying to get ready for this class.
I can ill afford to have an accident, hurting myself or others.

I can always borrow a buddies M4 to take to the class.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:00:52 AM EST
Do you have a flatbed scanner? You could pull a pic up with that.
If you're inclined enough, you could disassemble the upper, slap a new one on it and have Bushmaster fix that one. Plus, it'll give you a reason to build another rifle.
Was it an A2 or A3 upper? If it was an A2, I bet you could talk them into giving you an A3 if you want one.
-Steve
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 7:11:12 AM EST

Originally Posted By stevenb:
Do you have a flatbed scanner? You could pull a pic up with that.
If you're inclined enough, you could disassemble the upper, slap a new one on it and have Bushmaster fix that one. Plus, it'll give you a reason to build another rifle.
Was it an A2 or A3 upper? If it was an A2, I bet you could talk them into giving you an A3 if you want one.
-Steve

Negative on scanner.

The rifle is the new designed Modular BM.

I'm going to talk to BM tomorrow, and will keep this thread going until something gets done, either way.

Like I said, this rifle has about 520 rounds through it, and has been babied through out. Never dropped, banged nothing. I did buy it used, and unfired from a gunshop. I was standing there when the original owner traded it in. It was mine 10 minutes later.

Not sure what to expect from BM, as I don't know if it is a workmanship/materials problem or not. I assume so.
I'm a fair guy and love the rifle, so if I have to pay a little to get it fixed, so be it. If I get blown off by CS, it will be posted here for all to see. If they "split the difference" with me, it will be posted as well.

A whole new upper would be great, but not sure if that will happen.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 2:51:07 PM EST
Keep us posted after you find out the facts.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:22:06 AM EST
CT,

Are you going to do the High Risk Environment/Dignitary Protection Course?

If so, e-mail/IM/post a good AAR when you return. I am looking to do the same course in April....
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:39:35 AM EST
get it replaced if it is cracked, before you fire it again
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:48:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By AUT_BELLUM:

+ 3
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:28:51 AM EST
hey, my barrel has a split in the chamber, is it still good to go?
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:32:19 AM EST

Originally Posted By mo4040:
CT,

Are you going to do the High Risk Environment/Dignitary Protection Course?

If so, e-mail/IM/post a good AAR when you return. I am looking to do the same course in April....

Affirmative.
11 Sept-14 Sept..I will pm or email you if you wish. Just remind me.
Is there a forum on here to post stuff like that??

Well, since all you kill joys talked me out of shooting it again,, I sent it back to BM this morning.

Good advise. It just doesnt appear to be harmful. Famous last words!!

The guy that I talked to on the phone, says that this is a rare one FU. Figures!!
They also said they would replace the upper, no questions asked. Great bunch of guys!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:34:36 AM EST

Originally Posted By avengeusa:

Yeah, your OK...Shoot the damn thing!!!!!
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:39:16 AM EST

cool, i just wanted to be sure it was safe, i was told since the split is on the right hand side of the gun, when it blew up the shrapnel would go away from my face, lol
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:42:48 AM EST

cool, i just wanted to be sure it was safe, i was told since the split is on the right hand side of the gun, when it blew up the shrapnel would go away from my face, lol

See, I can't shoot that weapon safely, because I'm a lefty, but your good to go!!

Can't be too careful, my man.
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 10:48:16 AM EST
i will go try it in the morning, i have some hot loaded match stuff, split the chamber the first time, but the crack should allow some of the rpessure to bleed off
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:37:24 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/31/2004 1:40:14 PM EST by cheaptrick]
OK, called BM Monday morning. The guy I talked to said he has never heard of a receiver cracking like mine. Figures!

Sent the upper to them, should be there today.

Don't touch that dial!!!!!!!!

Oh yeah, my Wilson Combat KZ45 pistol had gone back to the smith too. I added a ambi safety to it, and the smith didnt do a very good job. Nothing wrong with the Wilson's product...
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 1:39:29 PM EST

i will go try it in the morning, i have some hot loaded match stuff, split the chamber the first time, but the crack should allow some of the rpessure to bleed off

LOL!!!!!! Pressure bleed off!!!!! I love it!!!!!!!
Top Top