Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 6/12/2007 5:07:44 PM EST
Not a newbie but thinking of buying another "black" rifle. I had a Colt AR back in 1973. Sold that a few years later. Had a few just before the 1992 mess. Bought and sold them.

Now I am thinking of getting another one to keep for myself. With all the talk again about bans I figured it was time to own one for good. My question to you guys is which one?

I can get Bushmasters at wholesale prices and was leaning toward the 11.5/5.5 barrel model. Kinda like the way it looks. If not that model, then their M4 standard.

Should I stay away from the Bushmaster and go with the Colt M4?

Any opinions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

AJ100
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 5:12:31 PM EST
If you have the money ?? Go Colt !

If not, take the Bushmaster!!

Both great weapons
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 5:21:13 PM EST
Bushmaster
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 5:28:11 PM EST

Originally Posted By AJ100:
Not a newbie but thinking of buying another "black" rifle. I had a Colt AR back in 1973. Sold that a few years later. Had a few just before the 1992 mess. Bought and sold them.

Now I am thinking of getting another one to keep for myself. With all the talk again about bans I figured it was time to own one for good. My question to you guys is which one?

I can get Bushmasters at wholesale prices and was leaning toward the 11.5/5.5 barrel model. Kinda like the way it looks. If not that model, then their M4 standard.

Should I stay away from the Bushmaster and go with the Colt M4?

Any opinions or ideas would be appreciated. Thanks in advance

AJ100

I might be bias but ( COLT ) !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 5:32:24 PM EST
If you just like the way the 11.5/5.5 looks, I say get a 16" bbl and put one of those flashider sleeves on it that goes back 5" to look like the CAR setup. You loose a lot with the short bbl & long flashider and you still have to get it out to 16" anyway (If you can get an SBR that's a different story). The 16" has more velocity and is quieter than shorter bbls.

I really prefer Bushmaster. They set the industry standard and lead it. Colt always tries to change the standard but looses. They change the pin sizes, or block off the reciever, or change the buffer tube size so that you have to buy their proprietary accessories. Just my .02
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 5:33:55 PM EST
I'll echo Norge and say that if the cost isn't an issue and it's going to be your only AR, go for the Colt. If cost is an issue you'll get by with the Bushmaster.

If things go as they often do with this bunch, you'll wind up with both.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 5:51:21 PM EST
COLT
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 5:54:27 PM EST
i like bush... colt is also top shelf

both are great

comes down to money
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 8:50:10 PM EST
I couldnt be happier with my Bushmaster. Well, unless it was an A3
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 8:58:59 PM EST

Originally Posted By Roughneck-2zero:
I really prefer Bushmaster. They set the industry standard and lead it. Colt always tries to change the standard but looses.

I would think that Colt, having produced the AR15 exclusively for 20 years before anyone else did, set the standard. An older gentleman asked me if I had an opinion on why civilian AR15s had a reputation for reliability until the 1980s. I told him "cause Colt's patent ran out."

They change the pin sizes, or block off the reciever, or change the buffer tube size so that you have to buy their proprietary accessories. Just my .02

The pin sizes is an annoyance, the sear block is no longer in production, and Colt still uses the original, stronger design of receiver extension-- Bushmaster and others cheaped out and redesigned it so they could make it at a reduced cost.

If you want the best factory rifle, buy a Colt. If you're on a tight budget, there are better choices than Bushmaster.
Link Posted: 6/12/2007 9:37:16 PM EST
I own one of each and they are both great rifles. You're a winner with either one in my opinion. It boils down to how much money you want to spend.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 3:46:49 AM EST
Bushmaster
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 5:46:32 AM EST
Both......then send me the one you don't like.
Link Posted: 6/13/2007 5:53:00 AM EST
I have both.

A 20" Colt HBAR that was my first. It has been dead solid reliable and has shot everything I have put in the magazine with good to great accuracy.

I recently added a 16" Bushmaster. Only had it 3 weeks but overall favorable experience so far. It seems to not care for the RORG '92 from an accuracy standpoint.

Nice thing about the BM is how much lighter the "M4" config is in comparision to the Colt .

I think both are quality rifles but then so is my RRA 16".

Link Posted: 6/13/2007 6:26:34 AM EST
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 2:35:28 PM EST
COLT
Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:09:53 PM EST
Colt.

Link Posted: 6/14/2007 3:14:56 PM EST
Colt...I have both, but the Colt wins...probably because of cool factor, but it wins when I choose which I'd grab.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 12:00:55 AM EST
Both are a great chioce. Cant go wrong with either. I own both and have never had issues with them. May I also suggest a "third" option...... LMT!
In my opinion the top three are Colt, LMT and Bushy.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 5:42:33 AM EST
I own both but have not used either much except for putting a few hundred rounds through 'em after purchase. Now they just sit in my gear locker at work & haven't been shot in in several months. Good experience with both when used, however. BM is the obvious less expensive choice, but it's a good product. Most will opine that Colt makes the best AR available & they are great weapons, but there are several makes on the market that will serve you just as well depending on intended use. Again, that's a personal preference coupled with many different experiences. Mainly comes down to what is affordable for you if you don't have a lot of disposable income. Good luck & advise (with pics) what you decide or have already decided on.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 8:01:55 AM EST
I would buy the Bushmaster, I don't like COLT's polictics and they have made it perfectly clear they would like to only sell to the Government, they don't like us.

The ONLY WAY I would buy a Colt is if I got it cheap and could sell it to someone who wants that name brand.

I own multiple ARs in multiple calibers but NO COLT will EVER live at my house.

I have shot Colts and many other brands there's not a nickels worth of difference in any of them so why pay triple for a Colt.

I like my Bushmaster, RRA, CMMG, Armalite, KO and more but NO COLTs for me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 8:07:59 AM EST

Originally Posted By Norge1956:
If you have the money ?? Go Colt !

If not, take the Bushmaster!!

Both great weapons

+1

Link Posted: 6/15/2007 10:50:54 AM EST

Originally Posted By JimM44:
I would buy the Bushmaster, I don't like COLT's polictics and they have made it perfectly clear they would like to only sell to the Government, they don't like us.

The ONLY WAY I would buy a Colt is if I got it cheap and could sell it to someone who wants that name brand.

I have shot Colts and many other brands there's not a nickels worth of difference in any of them so why pay triple for a Colt.

Big +1 here, I support those companies that support the 2nd ammendment, and Colt is not one of those. I choose to keep their mil-spec sear blocks, large trigger pins, screw take down pins, half moon bolt carriers, firearms registration schemes, donations to the demonrats, and "LEO only" snobby attitudes out of my home as well. And don't give me that, "they don't do that stuff anymore", they still do alot of it and are still owned by the same company that instituded all of those stupid policies. Until they fold and are bought out by some gun friendly owners, or discontinue all of their anti 2nd ammendment policies I will continue to despise them.

Too many other quality manufacturers out there that support your right to firearms ownership.

Colt - Because its the only Bill Clinton approved AR
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 10:58:18 AM EST
Both are high quality rifles. I have owned both. I now have only Colts because they command more money and hold their value better as they are the standard by which all the other AR15 manufacturers are judged...like it or not. Let the flamers begin
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 11:09:44 AM EST
[Last Edit: 6/15/2007 11:16:24 AM EST by fxntime]

Originally Posted By texasaggie:

Big +1 here, I support those companies that support the 2nd ammendment, and Colt is not one of those. I choose to keep their mil-spec sear blocks, large trigger pins, screw take down pins, half moon bolt carriers, firearms registration schemes, donations to the demonrats, and "LEO only" snobby attitudes out of my home as well. And don't give me that, "they don't do that stuff anymore", they still do alot of it and are still owned by the same company that instituded all of those stupid policies. Until they fold and are bought out by some gun friendly owners, or discontinue all of their anti 2nd ammendment policies I will continue to despise them.

Too many other quality manufacturers out there that support your right to firearms ownership.

There is so much falsehood in this entire statement that I can't even begin to start..... At least check your facts before you talk about what you don't know.

1. NO sear block
2. Full Auto full circle carriers
3. Push Pins

Bushie folded on the sniper lawsuit, something IGNORED by most here. Most AR manufacturers were a tiny blip on the screen when Colt was catching ALL the flak and they did nothing themselves and contributed nothing to the cause.

You can buy any legal Colt product that is available, and OK to purchase in your state. Colt could care less if you're LEO or not.

I've had far fewer problems with Colts then with other brands I owned personally.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 12:20:55 PM EST

Originally Posted By fxntime:

There is so much falsehood in this entire statement that I can't even begin to start..... At least check your facts before you talk about what you don't know.

1. NO sear block
3. Push Pins

Bushie folded on the sniper lawsuit, something IGNORED by most here. Most AR manufacturers were a tiny blip on the screen when Colt was catching ALL the flak and they did nothing themselves and contributed nothing to the cause.

You can buy any legal Colt product that is available, and OK to purchase in your state. Colt could care less if you're LEO or not.

I've had far fewer problems with Colts then with other brands I owned personally.

thank you fxn, that sounds much better coming from you than me.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 12:28:39 PM EST
Buy the Bushmaster and spend the extra money on mags.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 12:43:40 PM EST
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 1:11:51 PM EST

Originally Posted By Bradd_D:
i18.tinypic.com/6au53k5.jpg

Link Posted: 6/15/2007 1:14:16 PM EST

Originally Posted By dedfella:

Originally Posted By fxntime:

1. NO sear block
3. Push Pins

thank you fxn, that sounds much better coming from you than me.

you bunch of bullies!!

dude go with which one u like the most.. both are good

im thinkin about starting a simular thread just to get peoples blood pressure up
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 1:17:20 PM EST
If extra money is not an issue, than colt is certainly the only way to go.
Link Posted: 6/15/2007 2:05:14 PM EST
I would take the Colt, but there is nothing wrong with a Bushy. If the money is tight then don't hesitate to get the bushy.
Top Top