Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 3/14/2012 6:31:17 AM EDT
I have very little experience with AR-15s (none actually), but I have the opportunity to buy a Bushmaster XM15-E2S from a guy who also doesn't know much about ARs. The gun comes with a hard case, two magazines (I don't know what kind), and has the following aftermarket additions: UTC quad rail, Tapco collapsable stock, and new flat top upper with rear sight. It also comes with all of the original parts. I attached a couple of pictures.

After doing some research online, it looks like Bushmaster marks a lot of their lowers with XM15-E2S but this doesn't mean that all guns marked with this number are the same. Is there any way to figure out exactly what I'm buying? If the lower says .223/5.56 on it, does that mean that the barrel can likely handle both rounds (he says it can, but then again, he can't seem to confirm exactly what type of barrel is on the gun).

He is asking $650 for everything listed above. Is this a good deal? Would this be a good first AR? I'm really just looking for a fun range run and to supplement other HD guns I already have. Sorry for all the questions––I'm sure I'm showing my ignorance. Amy other advice?

UPDATE: The barrel is marked C MP B. It sounds like this might be a Colt barrel? What does this do to the value?
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 6:41:11 AM EDT
[#1]
If it is 100% bushmaster and in great shape then yes $650 is good. Bushmaster makes a pretty nice little carbine. Better can be had for a little more money but for $650 it'll be just about what your looking for, be reliable well made and accurate.. For me the UTG quad rail and Tapco stock would be a negative. I'd rather have the original bushmaster M4 stock over the Tapco. But that's pretty small negative as most people replace the stock body within a year of buying an AR anyway. A host of very nice condition used stocks can be found on the equipment exchange for next to nothing.

For verifying the barrel, there will be (should be) codes on the barrel telling you some details, including what the barrel is chambered in. Usually under the hand-guards or on top of the barrel up by the muzzle. If you post good pictures, I'm sure one of the code/forge mark wizards on here can tell you what you have.

If not, it may be a no name, or a home build franken upper on a bushmaster lower.....Bushmaster should be able to give you some details about the lower itself by the serial number. Maybe even tell you if it was configured as a certain kind of rifle, date of manufacture ect...If it is a bushmaster upper it's a 5.56 chamber. If it's not, most likely still a 5.56 or .223 wylde both of which can shoot both .223rem and 5.56NATO but there are some non 5.56 safe barrels out there just FYI.

Bushmaster, magnetic particle tested, chambered in 5.56 with a 1 in9 turn rifling
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 7:37:37 AM EDT
[#2]
You say "new flat top upper" ... are you saying the upper has been replaced?

Assuming it's all original and has a reasonably low round count, a used Bushmaster like you describe is probably worth more like $500 - 550 ... and that's assuming it's in good overall condition.

The UTG rail and Tapco stock are meh, since they're both cheap stuff and you'll probably be spending money to replace them.

Bushmaster has been undergoing a lot of changes in the recent past and their name is getting tarnished by bad customer service and some sub-standard products. If it's a pre-Cerebrus-sellout model it's probably fine in terms of quality, but the recent stuff is probably better left alone.

Offer the guy $500 and see if he takes it. If not, there's lots of better stuff out there for the same money.

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 8:12:23 AM EDT
[#3]
Never had any problems with my 2 bushmasters. rifle/carbine

I remember back in the day late 90`s to  2002 everyone seem to like them.

Back then I even seen my leo friends trade in there colts for a bushy.

Go to the industry forum and compare the traffic with Colt and Bushy forum. Seems like everyone was hanging at the bushy forum back then.

Today I wouldnt buy a bushmaster carbine. Why ?

The 6920 Colt has gone down in price!

And there are other brands that have the same specs. LMT,BCM,etc
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 9:33:04 AM EDT
[#4]
If its a mis matched upper and lower I'd pass. For what you want it for I'd look into one of these if you want to keep a low budget.

PSA
Delton

Right now completely built lowers by (but not limited to) the following companys can be had for mid to high $200s

RRA
YHM
Spikes

Toss a good 3-400 upper on it and you have a nice simple rifle that can be easily upgraded later and you'll probably be happier with for under $700

Just FYI...the MSRP on a base model LMT defender is $1300 and a colt 6920 is around a grand
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 10:22:05 AM EDT
[#5]
That's a good price if it is all Bushmaster and not a frankengun, especially for a first AR.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 1:17:27 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Go to the industry forum and compare the traffic with Colt and Bushy forum. Seems like everyone was hanging at the bushy forum back then.

Can't disagree - I have an early Bushy carbine that shoots lights out, but go to the Bushmaster forum today and you'll see a lot of hate. I know - was just there yesterday ...

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 1:32:33 PM EDT
[#7]
I own 5 bushmasters now and I have never had a problem with any of them at all and they have had their fare share of rounds.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 2:05:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Mismatch or not, $650 is a reasonable price.

I'd offer him $580 cash and show the cash, and say that's all I had.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 2:45:25 PM EDT
[#9]
Bushmaster is good to go
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 3:18:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Of the 3 AR's I own the Bushmaster is the most accurate.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 3:24:24 PM EDT
[#11]
Lowball the guy and offer $500 for a used bushmaster?

That's.... Not Nice.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 3:26:18 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 3:39:39 PM EDT
[#13]
$650.00 is a Fair price on a Bushmaster especially with hardcase and the take off parts.If you like it buy it don't listen to these guys telling you to low-ball all you do is piss people off. Do you like too get Low-balled on things? I don't.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 3:45:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1

+2

I'd pass on the schrubmaster.

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#15]
Find me a factory LMT or BCM for 650 even.    Good luck with that
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 3:49:50 PM EDT
[#16]
Get ready for a flood of posts telling you to get save a few and get something else.

Yes it is a very good rifle, and you can't beat $650. I've owned one for 3 years and couldn't imagine a better quality and function from anything else people preach here. It's not just a good first AR, it's a good AR in general, and I am very glad I picked one up instead of wasting money on something more expensive that functions exactly the same, just so I could flaunt a "top tier" brand.

If the upper and barrel are original to the lower and he hasn't swapped anything, it will shoot .223 and 5.56, just double check the barrel like posted above. Good luck.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 5:03:23 PM EDT
[#17]
I still have a few Bushmasters. Mine have been good rifles. With a few updates they can be better.

That said, these days for the same or a hair more you could do better.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 5:24:09 PM EDT
[#18]

Bushmaster XM15-E2S - This was my first AR15 that I purchased in December 2002 and just finished an overhaul
Magpul carbine handguards, MOE pistol grip, and MOE stock
ARMS 40
EOTech 551 (purchased in 2004) on a YHM 1/3 riser
Removed mini Ycomp and replaced with a pinned and welded YHM Phantom 5C1 - received back from ADCO yesterday and zeroed today.

It has been very reliable for 9 years and 1000s of rounds

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 6:17:08 PM EDT
[#19]
OP here. Thanks a lot guys, your advice is awesome. I asked him about the markings on the barrel. The markings are C MP B. Any ideas? Google is giving me various results, some saying it's a Colt barrel, some saying its a Bushmaster. Any ideas? Thanks again.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 6:42:44 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
OP here. Thanks a lot guys, your advice is awesome. I asked him about the markings on the barrel. The markings are C MP B. Any ideas? Google is giving me various results, some saying it's a Colt barrel, some saying its a Bushmaster. Any ideas? Thanks again.

Sounds like you have an older Colt barrel. The "B" used to stand for chrome Bore. What you may have is an old Colt upper on a Bushmaster lower.

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 7:44:09 PM EDT
[#21]
Is the fact that it is a Colt barrel on a Bushmaster lower better or worse? The consensus seems to be that $650 would be decent price (or might be a bit high) for a gun where the upper and the lower are both Bushmaster. But, a lot of people are recommending Colt over Bushmaster. So, what does this do to the value? Is the Colt barrel a good thing? Will it shoot 5.56? Thanks.
Link Posted: 3/14/2012 7:49:31 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Bushmaster is good to go

Link Posted: 3/14/2012 7:50:58 PM EDT
[#23]
Yes

Bill
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Is the fact that it is a Colt barrel on a Bushmaster lower better or worse? The consensus seems to be that $650 would be decent price (or might be a bit high) for a gun where the upper and the lower are both Bushmaster. But, a lot of people are recommending Colt over Bushmaster. So, what does this do to the value? Is the Colt barrel a good thing? Will it shoot 5.56? Thanks.

This is just my opinion. Some Colt fans may disagree but for me, in this instance, the Colt barrel wouldn't increase the value. Even though Bushy barrels aren't MP inspected, their barrels seem to be the better part of the rifle. Mine have all been good shooters.

It will shoot 5.56.

I'd ask the seller if you can shoot it before buying. Sounds like somewhat of a Frankenrifle so I'd be careful. Crack it open and check internals. Inspect the bolt carrier group. Is it a semi or full auto carrier? Is it Colt?

If everything checks out I'd offer $575. All he can say in no.  Then if you end up buying it scrap the Tapco and UTG stuff and put it up for sale on the EE.

Again, only my opinion.

Link Posted: 3/15/2012 7:32:32 PM EDT
[#25]
That was my first ar. I loved it. Good price too.
Link Posted: 3/15/2012 8:50:23 PM EDT
[#26]
I was under the impression that a colt barrel that is chrome lined was marked as CHROME BORE, CB or only marked with a B if the B mark is at the middle or end of the markings, not the first letter....
I thought if the B was first that meant Bushmaster

like:

C  MP B = colt
C  MP B 5.56 NATO= colt
C  MP CHROME BORE = colt

B MP 5.56 1/9= bushmaster
B MP 5.56 NATO 1/7 HBAR= bushmaster

I dunno, I'm not really a colt fan so I'm not 100%

Link Posted: 3/21/2012 11:11:38 AM EDT
[#27]
I'd stay away. Bushmaster, DPMS, Olympic, etc. are junk.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top