Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 3/10/2005 3:37:40 PM EST
Has anyone on the board had any experience with one of these.  I have been thinking of getting one for sometime.  One is available in a shop in Asheville, NC for $1,150.  I have not read alot about one here.  24" free floating, fluted barrel.  Bushmaster catalog claims tight specs. and great accuracy.  Any information would be appreciated.
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 3:57:33 PM EST
I got myself one of these about two years ago, just love it. It is very accurate, it likes hand loads as the chamber is long (5.56 NATO). It has never failed to feed, fire, eject or anything. It's well made and reliable IMO. If you are looking for a gun to do some long range shooting with it's a good choice, if your just looking to burn lots of ammo with I wouldnt get the Varminter. The barrel isn't chrome lined and that reduces life but ups the accuracy. I'm sure others will chime in soon.

If you have any other ?'s about this feel free to IM me if you'd like.

DD
Link Posted: 3/10/2005 4:45:39 PM EST
I have had one for a year now and the thing is a tack hammer.  Great gun, the price is worth it if you are going to hold on to it for a while.  If not, you can find used ones for a good price.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:27:55 AM EST
Deer, Hog, Coyote, Crow, Hawk, Prairie dog, Bobcat, Stray cat killin SOB   h.gif
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:38:20 AM EST

Awesome rifle, would recommend, highly!!! ck out story www.gunblast.com
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 10:50:58 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:14:54 AM EST
Another Varminter fan here

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 11:43:16 AM EST
i love them, had one for a while, great gun
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 2:35:29 PM EST
Awesome weapon, light for a 24", very reliable, very accurate, fit and finish are superb, don't put cheap optics on such a fine weapon, and keep the trigger mechanism clean and lubed.

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 7:28:26 PM EST
I've pretty much decided to get one of these as well.  What prices are you finding out there? They seem to be backordered like everything else.  The best price I can find is about $1015+tax although I did get a quazi quote from Sportsman's Warehouse in the low-mid $900s .  He said that was what the last one he had sold for kind of implying that the prices were going up.  I got on the list anyway...  I don't mind paying a fair price but done want to pay 1000 rounds worth extra either.

Any price info would help.

I'm planning on putting a Leupold VXIII 6.5X20 Varmint Recticle on it.  Anyone have one of these.  Its there a better or equivalent set up for less $?

Link Posted: 3/16/2005 8:57:11 PM EST
I just got one from AIM Surplus a couple weeks ago. Only waited about 3 weeks. $925 plus $15 to ship to my FFL. Just got my 4x16 Sightron scope and Armalite mount today so will get it mounted up and see if it lives up to my expectations. Will be used for Sod Poodles and Coyotes.
Link Posted: 3/16/2005 9:15:22 PM EST
All right, I'm the fella who always whines about his varminter, so I'll try to refrain this time.

My advice is: If you're going to buy one, look it over CLOSELY, in DETAIL!!!

It appears that the barrel nut on mine IS bearing on the gas tube.  Since I don't own the tools to do it myself, I'm taking it in next week to get that taken care of.  Hopefully that will finally get it running properly.

They're not cheap, so take your time and look it over.

Robert
Top Top