Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/24/2006 5:27:28 AM EDT
About four or five years ago I purchased a Bushmaster upper. The front sight was canted so that I had to crank the rear sight clear to one side to zero it. I contacted Bushmaster and they said that "it was within Milspec". hinking.gif  Since then I've found out that many if not most Bushy uppers were coming out that way. Has this been corrected? I am thinking of buying a 20" A2 upper and they are the only ones that list such an upper on their site (that I've been able to find) and I'm leery of buying from them if their QC is still not up to par. Thanks!
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 7:06:07 AM EDT
[#1]
I doubt that "most" Bushmaster uppers have the canted front sight, but I don't doubt that some may have had this problem. Most companies have QC issues occasionally. Bushmaster is a very good company, if they have what you want buy from them. If you think there is a problem with their uppers, build your own, or buy from someone else.

RRA has a 20" A2 upper.

Fulton Armory has them.

If you look around many of the companies that post here can build what you want.
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 3:11:10 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

RRA has a 20" A2 upper.

So, the RRA website has the A2 upper in only .223 Wlyde?  Isn't the "mil-spec" 5.56, or is this just an upper for competitions and such?

I was considering that same upper but now am confused...

Not trying to hijack your thread man, but this has a little to do with what you are asking...
Link Posted: 1/24/2006 4:53:18 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

So, the RRA website has the A2 upper in only .223 Wlyde?  Isn't the "mil-spec" 5.56, or is this just an upper for competitions and such?

I was considering that same upper but now am confused...

Not trying to hijack your thread man, but this has a little to do with what you are asking...

The Wylde chamber is the best of both worlds, able to handle .223 and 5.56. From what I have read, the Wylde chamber is SAAMI spec. with a little more room before the rifling starts. This allows it to handle the extra pressure of the 5.56. I have a Recon barrel from Denny's Guns with the Wylde chamber, and it is one of the most accurate rifles I own.
Link Posted: 1/25/2006 9:45:38 PM EDT
[#4]
I have two Bushmaster flat-top uppers.  Both front sight bases are canted to the right.  The older I purchased from a friend is not canted as bad.  I don't know when it was manufactured.  The newer I bought in early '04 is canted more....I don't run out of windage to be able to zero like the trouble some people are having.  It doesn't appear they are fixing the problem.  I think Bushmaster is quality, but I'll most likely purchase elswhere for my working guns in the future.  Atleast the uppers.  Now in my case "most" is accurate, since I appear to be batting 100% with canted front sight bases.  I'll have to take a peek at some of our dept. rifles and see if they are canted as well.  Seems to be a common problem with Bushmaster owners on this board.  Unless several people are just "recalling" some info. they heard from another guy who heard it from some other guy.
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:31:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Last year I was working on a upper trade, this guy brought to me a Bushy 20inch A2 and after looking it over it was also canted off to the side (on takedown the upper reciever slot for the indexing pin on the bbl was not centered causing the whole bbl to be canted). I cant recall in what derection it was but in order to zero it the windage was almost to one side in order to get on paper. This would have been useless at the 500yd line as I would not have been able to dial in windage if it was in the wrong direction, I let him keep his upper...

The upper was purchased by him about 3 years earlier so I would hope that the QC has gotten better.

edit fer more stuff
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 4:11:07 AM EDT
[#6]
i have yet to get a canted bushmaster bbl/front sight out of 5 assy.

i have gotten a rra and a model1 canted bbl. which both were easily fixed with a whack to the fsb with a rubber hammer. the problem i have seen most is overtorqued barrels.

there are many quick to jump on the canted bushmaster front sight bandwagon but it happens, hell there has been a rash of colt qc problem threads lately including problems with canted fsb's
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:27:16 PM EDT
[#7]
My eyes are starting to bleed from all the Bushmaster canted sight reading...

Bushmaster should start shipping their AR's with a mallet as an added accessory, that way the end users can make the needed adjustments themselves...
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 12:37:09 PM EDT
[#8]
My COLT 38spl had the barrel on crooked!

Looks like they all make mistakes?
Link Posted: 1/26/2006 1:00:20 PM EDT
[#9]
"Bushmaster should start shipping their AR's with a mallet as an added accessory, that way the end users can make the needed adjustments themselves..."

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top