Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 12/28/2003 2:50:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/28/2003 3:19:39 PM EDT by turboman]
I have a deep longing for a Type 97S and have been looking everywhere for an experienced opinion. Is the light weight a disadvantage?

It has a full length Picanny rail, the good barrel, and a lot of features that I thought would have caused quite a stir in the AR community.

I have my Dissipator A-3 (accessorized) up for sale now solely to get the Type 97. Am I going to gain anything with the new rifle? Excluding sights, I bet it's cost $1400 so far to get the "Dissy" to where I want it.

Any opinions on the Type 97S?
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 5:01:37 PM EDT
"Is the light weight a disadvantage?"

It can be, if you are looking for practical accuracy. The light gun will be hard to hold steady.  

I find 8lbs is about perfect, 10-13lbs for maximum accuracy, but 8lbs for the best combination of convenience and accuracy. Lighter than 6lbs and you will really begin to see my point- the gun will seem to have a mind of its own when you are trying to shoot a well placed medium to long range shot.

On the other hand if you bought the gun for 0-100yd work (mostly home defense, close quarters work) it'ld be in a league of it's own, the light weight really aids in the ability to quickly move from target to target.

Hunting all day with it would be  breeze as it wouldn't ever get heavy. (8.5lbs and heavier guns usually do get heavy after a long day of walking.)  

Mounting large optics could make it a little top heavy (decreasing rotational balance) making it tippy.

It is not the kind of gun you probably want to run through more than 180rds of rapid fire (in less than 2.5 minutes without allowing to cool) because these do have light barrels and the barrels are SS which is pretty much believed to be a bad candidate for rapid fire as it has been known to droop, warp, and burst sooner than 4150 barrels of equall weight.

I picked one up at a show and I was impressed, for a handy carbine I really don't think you can beat it (short of buying a SBR)
Link Posted: 12/28/2003 7:44:29 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2003 2:31:23 AM EDT by turboman]
Thanks for info. Exactly what I needed. The light weight doesn't hurt me that bad on a bench, or prone. Hate offhand and never use it unless the targets are HUGE and CLOSE and BREATHING and DANGEROUS.

I'll put on my old Aimpoint 5000 (light weight) and a laser below the barrel. I would think that even heavy optics weight would be more than compensated for by a 30 rd. mag hanging below.

It has a fluted, free-floating match chamber medium weight barrel (not that light) so it should be good for benchrest MOA with a good scope (got a Mag 44 6x20) and a better trigger. Might "walk" a few rounds until it warms up. Am I wrong?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:29:09 AM EDT
I picked up a new Bushmaster Carbon-15 model 97S this fall and have about 1500-2000 rds through it so far.

ONE MAJOR PROBLEM. The mag well appears to be over-sized because every mag I own, 20 or 30 rd, Labelle, Colt or Okay, rocks forwards and backwards when seated. The resulting feed failures occur where the round being stripped from the mag is impacting just below the 2 feed guides on the chamber.

Saturday at the range I had to wrap a rubberband around the magwell and the rear of the mags to keep them rocked forward so they would feed rds OK.

My buddy and I started to call it the "Rubberband" gun. It's a goddamn shame when you spend $1000 on a rifle and you need rubberbands in order for it to function properly!
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:35:19 AM EDT
My wife has one. She/we really havent had a chance to put many rounds through it yet. So far though, it has been really good, and she likes it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:37:47 AM EDT
Originally Posted By djc119:
I picked up a new Bushmaster Carbon-15 model 97S this fall and have about 1500-2000 rds through it so far.

ONE MAJOR PROBLEM. The mag well appears to be over-sized because every mag I own, 20 or 30 rd, Labelle, Colt or Okay, rocks forwards and backwards when seated. The resulting feed failures occur where the round being stripped from the mag is impacting just below the 2 feed guides on the chamber.

Saturday at the range I had to wrap a rubberband around the magwell and the rear of the mags to keep them rocked forward so they would feed rds OK.

My buddy and I started to call it the "Rubberband" gun. It's a goddamn shame when you spend $1000 on a rifle and you need rubberbands in order for it to function properly!
View Quote

Just the opposite with ours. Mag well it tight. Not too tight to use, but it is snug.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 6:43:52 AM EDT
Wow, am I glad you posted this. Have you contacted Bushmaster. If one rifle is bad they all will be bcause the "mold" for the receiver is screwed up.

I'm holding off until they confirm it's fixed or they have a recall. If I were you I'd make a big stink about. Posting here is good start.

Thanks a million. Owe you a $1000.
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:37:38 AM EDT
Originally Posted By djc119:
It's a goddamn shame when you spend $1000 on a rifle and you need rubberbands in order for it to function properly!
View Quote

I presume you have let BM know about the issue?  I would be sitting on their collective frond door until this was fixed/replaced.  I've worked as a QC engineer and dealing with a limited amount of plastics, I can say they all won't be the same.  Variables occur and as such it is reflected in the product.  Make them fix it.  
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 7:19:21 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 12/29/2003 7:21:35 PM EDT by djc119]
I figured I'd post first, just to see if anyone else had a similar problem.

I'll give it another couple of days, and then contact Bushmaster, right after New Years.

Aside from the feed problem, I really like the rifle. It's light and short with very little muzzle climb. Great plinking and range rifle.

And lottsa noise and flame.

***turboman - how you wanna pay me the grand?
Link Posted: 12/29/2003 8:47:36 PM EDT
I sent an e-mail to the BM site, too. They are reportedly quite nice to work with. Wonder if they'll be the same if we bought the rifle from another vendor. They are available for about 20% off M.S.R.P.?

It shouldn't matter to them where you got it cause the warranty would cover any problems. They can't afford the bad publicity on their new "super-rifle". Especially in htis forum...
When you get an answer could you please post it here. You'll probably have to send it in and it'll be 6 weeks until you get it back.

Anyway, Happy New Year....ahhh, about the $1000, do you take VISA?

Link Posted: 12/30/2003 7:36:16 AM EDT
I e-mailed a Jim Eden at Bushmaster customer support and explained the problem that one of the members at AR-15.com had with Type 97S.

He said there had not been any problems to date, but as soon as he hears from you he is eager to help.

He answered me the same day and was very receptive. Good luck and Happy New Year.
Top Top