Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/19/2004 5:08:16 AM EDT
How much of an issue are distortion, warping, and barrel "whip" for the new Bushmaster Superlight 16" barrel? It is a very thin barrel. The diameter tapers from .670 inches at the chamber end to .600, then steps up to .625 at the sight base, and tapers to .570 from the sight base to the muzzle - similar to the original Vietnam era A1 barrel profile.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 5:17:35 AM EDT
[#1]
It's not an issue.  

I believe the heavier configurations were implemented for bayonetting and general abuse.  

I don't bayonette much
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:00:10 AM EDT
[#2]
I'm gonna say your gonna see some movement in your groups after you run a few mags thru it. and I'm not talking a 8 mag dump as fast as you can. just some normal firing with a few fast pairs ,etc.

Watch How deerhunters sight in a rifle that have small diameter barrels. they get that barrel smoking after a couple of boxes and get is sighted where they want it. then they take the rifle home..clean it and the  first shot of opening day on a clean cold bore they miss..... and chalk it up to buck fever. I think the ultra light weight barrels are tyto light for a AR, but that's just my opinion. if YOU like it  and like the overall weight, then go for it.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:30:35 AM EDT
[#3]
I think that they are best for a gun the will be carried 99.9 % of the time and hardly shot like in law enforcement and not in a military role. I rather have a bit more weight myself.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:55:00 AM EDT
[#4]
It should be great for bump firing if that's your thing......
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 7:58:33 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I think that they are best for a gun the will be carried 99.9 % of the time and hardly shot like in law enforcement and not in a military role. I rather have a bit more weight myself.

Not true, I shoot the Bushmaster superlight barrel in  Tactical/Defensive competitions, I run 2-3 mags within a 3-4minute time frame, POI and POA are always where they are suppose to be. Im not benchrest precision shooting. But the SUperlights are great for run and gun type stuff and can handle the abuse as well as any barrel, I wouldnt put a site sling on the front and be torqueing on the sling real hard with a super hot barrel. But they work well and are really lightweight

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:42:07 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
I think the ultra light weight barrels are tyto light for a AR, but that's just my opinion.

Yeah it's not like they were used for over 20 years..

Oh Wait....

(BTW compare the diameter of a M16A1 barrel and a GI M14 barrel - I'll bet you'll be surprised at the similarities).
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 8:59:55 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 9:12:41 AM EDT
[#8]

similar to the original Vietnam era A1 barrel profile

Exactly, and unless you plan on getting overrun by VC, I don't think you have to worry about anything happeneing to your barrel.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 10:03:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Some people need to get their ARs off the bench. The last thing I am concerned about is how my LW carbine shoots off a bench. The only time it sees any bench time is for periodic zero checks.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:03:46 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not true, I shoot the Bushmaster superlight barrel in  Tactical/Defensive competitions, I run 2-3 mags within a 3-4minute time frame, POI and POA are always where they are suppose to be. Im not benchrest precision shooting. But the SUperlights are great for run and gun type stuff and can handle the abuse as well as any barrel, I wouldnt put a site sling on the front and be torqueing on the sling real hard with a super hot barrel. But they work well and are really lightweight

www.hunt101.com/img/143578.jpg

I can't see what's in the picture frame. Where is it?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:45:57 AM EDT
[#11]
I have a Colt 6520 pre-ban with the pencil barrel and it shoots it's ass off. All in all, I can't tell very much of a difference in it and my heavey barrels except for the Kreiger heavy on my CMP rifle, but that's another story.

Bill
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 11:50:46 AM EDT
[#12]
The barrel will suffice for most practical applications, it may not be as good for the 500m KD course but than again that isn't very realistic.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:20:53 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

www.hunt101.com/img/143578.jpg

I can't see what's in the picture frame. Where is it?

I was thinking that the AR might be lighter to carry when on a long patrol or guard duty.
If the light barrel will hold up just as well, then what is the advantage of bull or heavy barels?
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 1:44:21 PM EDT
[#14]

If the light barrel will hold up just as well, then what is the advantage of bull or heavy barels?

So we can have fun threads about spacecraft and contracting.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:04:38 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

So we can have fun threads about spacecraft and contracting.

heavy barrels help with Precision bench rest shooting or competitions, it has to do with Barrel harmonics and jus the shear weight will help stabilize the rifle better (I dont know jus because )
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:11:39 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
I have a Colt 6520 pre-ban with the pencil barrel and it shoots it's ass off. All in all, I can't tell very much of a difference in it and my heavey barrels except for the Kreiger heavy on my CMP rifle, but that's another story.

Bill

Had two pencil barrel Colts and loved the lighter barrel.  Good enough for the military...
I have a superlite Bushmaster now and it is my favorite rifle.  A2 irons and a sling, works really well and very light.

kentlik
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 2:44:08 PM EDT
[#17]
What about flash suppressor on the BM light barrel.  Is it avail?  Nothing on their site about FS on the lite barrel.

Ideal rifle (IMHO)...BM 16" cut down with vortex/phatom perm attached for 16" overall length, super lite barrel profile, tele-stock.  Standard carry upper A2.  Gonna be calling BM Monday on this very set-up.  Hope it ain't too much $!
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:00:36 PM EDT
[#18]
The SOG teams used CAR15's with the pencil barrels and these guys were in some vicious firefights.  They carried up to 20 magazines for a mission.  A recent book by one of the members (I'll have to check it back out to remember the name) described the fighting in great detail.  There were no deragatory comments about the rifle in general.  In fact, it was all praise for the small barreled CAR.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 3:00:45 PM EDT
[#19]
I have a Levang Linear Muzzle brake on that camo gun. It added weight to the end of the barrel for sure. and changed the balance of the entire weapon, but it help with muzzle flip for double taps.

Here is the AR b4 the paint job, it is easier to see the muzzle brake.

Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:42:52 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
What about flash suppressor on the BM light barrel.  Is it avail?  Nothing on their site about FS on the lite barrel.

You're not looking too hard then.

The first superlight Bushy offered was 'pre-ban' form with FS - and it's still there.

Heck when they updated their webpage for when the ban sunset the first rifle they offered in 'no-ban' form was  lightweigth with FS and tele-stock.
Link Posted: 9/19/2004 4:49:08 PM EDT
[#21]
I bought a superlight for my preban a couple of months ago.  I love it!  It is one of my favorites to shoot.  You can order the barrel with a flash hider and lug right off the Bushmaster web site.  At the time I ordered it, if you wanted a flash hider you had to get a lug also (but why wouldn't you anyways).  It is only an issue for those guys who can't have flash hiders and are planning on pinning a break on.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 8:02:56 AM EDT
[#22]
no ones said it yet so i will.  why not free float the barrel?  that would take care of all of POI changes from the sling or hand pressures.

my .02

Remman
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 9:00:28 AM EDT
[#23]
Mine's great. I have a Colt M16 upper with a rapid-x rear sight with a bushmaster superlight barrel with a Hakko holosight cowittnessed on a bushmaster lower with a three position CAR stock. It's my favorite woods and walking rifle. I use a Calvery comp on it most of the time for quick follow up shots or a Vortex. It's presise enough for 200 yard one shots kills on coyotes even after dumping a few mags through it. My point of impact doesn't seem to be off any father than 1/2" at 100 yards when the barrels  REAL hot.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 10:31:20 AM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
The SOG teams used CAR15's with the pencil barrels and these guys were in some vicious firefights.  They carried up to 20 magazines for a mission.  A recent book by one of the members (I'll have to check it back out to remember the name) described the fighting in great detail.  There were no deragatory comments about the rifle in general.  In fact, it was all praise for the small barreled CAR.

I think the book was called "SOG" or "Inside SOG" or something like that, by MAJ John M. Plaster.  I read it this summer at Airborne school.  Very intersting book.  Yes the firefights described were hellacious, and I don't remember a single complaint about their light weight barrels.  One more reason that my current build will have a lightweight on it.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 12:04:07 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Ideal rifle (IMHO)...BM 16" cut down with vortex/phatom perm attached for 16" overall length, super lite barrel profile, tele-stock.  Standard carry upper A2.  Gonna be calling BM Monday on this very set-up.  Hope it ain't too much $!

Why is the A2 upper more ideal to you than the A1 for this type of rifle?  Just curious.  For the ranges you will be engaging targets at the A1 sight will work just fine and is more simple (i.e. less things that can break) than the A2.
Link Posted: 9/20/2004 5:10:32 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Why is the A2 upper more ideal to you than the A1 for this type of rifle?  Just curious.  For the ranges you will be engaging targets at the A1 sight will work just fine and is more simple (i.e. less things that can break) than the A2.

An A1 upper is all anyone really needs, but a lot of people do competitions and the government even decided our troops should be able to hit out to 800 yards.  For the average armchair commando, the lighter A1 or even a flattop is better
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top