Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 10/17/2004 7:46:11 AM EST
I just recently purchased my first AR, a Bushmaster M4A3-style. One thing I noticed immediately is that the selector switch feels "mushy," for lack of a better word. It doesn't have the reassuring "snap" when switching from safe to semi and back like the military weapons and other ARs I've used. Almost feels kind of like the selector switch is made of of plastic parts - a feeling I'd expect from a replica rifle or something. Is this common to all Bushmasters? Is it just a result of built-up lubricant from the factory? Should I consider replacing the selector with another brand, and if so, any recommendations? Thanks,

Dave
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:50:15 AM EST
as long as the selector swictch WORKs then i would keep it

spend the $$$ on mags and ammo

Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:50:59 AM EST
by the way, my bushy's selector doesnt feel/sound mushy

it snaps
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:52:31 AM EST
If it bothers you, check your spring and make sure it wasn't bent when some drunken monkey assembled it...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 3:51:55 PM EST
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 4:13:01 PM EST
The selector detent pin may be slighly oversized and not fully engaging. Pull the grip off, check the spring, and see if the pin moves freely. If the pin isn't free then lap it and/or carefully make sure the hole doesn't have a burr in it.. If thats fine, inspect the selector to see if the recessed areas where the pin engages are ok.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:31:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
I just recently purchased my first AR, a Bushmaster M4A3-style. One thing I noticed immediately is that the selector switch feels "mushy," for lack of a better word.

Mine does it too, but I built it myself. It works just fine though...
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 5:39:03 PM EST

Originally Posted By 3ACR_Scout:
I just recently purchased my first AR, a Bushmaster M4A3-style. One thing I noticed immediately is that the selector switch feels "mushy," for lack of a better word. It doesn't have the reassuring "snap" when switching from safe to semi and back like the military weapons and other ARs I've used. Almost feels kind of like the selector switch is made of of plastic parts - a feeling I'd expect from a replica rifle or something. Is this common to all Bushmasters? Is it just a result of built-up lubricant from the factory? Should I consider replacing the selector with another brand, and if so, any recommendations? Thanks,

Dave

I have one bushmaster lower that has the "snap" like you talk about. Where you can hear it click into place. Then I bought another to go with an upper I bought, and this one does not have the snap, or click sound to it. It just goes into place, rather hard to tell if it actually engaged or not you know? But it works just fine.
Link Posted: 10/17/2004 7:22:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/17/2004 7:24:29 PM EST by DevL]
I have had a few Bushmaster made selectors and installed them based on "feel" and rejected others (yes I am anal about my firearms) and the shape on the tip of the detent as well as the depth of the holes on the selector they stop in determine if it has a loud SNAP or CLICK sound vs a "bloomp" deadend sound sound where it locks up but is fairly quiet and easier to perform silent selector switches. Bushmaster parts vary in quality as they order them from different suppliers and quality varies a LOT on this part. I actually prefer the "mushy" selector lever for silent operation which is a combination of a rounded tip instead of pointed tip on the detent and a shallower detent hole. I also put grease on my buffer spring to remove the "sproing" if that tells you anything. You can go to the gunshow and get a snappier and clickier feel and sound by getting a pointy tipped selector detent and installing that.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 4:49:44 AM EST
Thanks for all the good responses, guys. I haven't had a chance to take my new rifle to the range yet - I'll put a couple hundred rounds through it and give the selector a good workout to see how it functions. I guess I can always replace it later if I'm not comfortable with it. Just glad that I finally have my own AR!

Have a good week, everyone,

Dave
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:03:05 AM EST
When I assembled my Bushmaster lower, the safety selector felt very gritty, much like you describe. The action was stiff and slow, which was unacceptable. At a gun show, I examined numerous ARs, and noticed that all of them moved freely and had positive clicks. When I got home, I applied BreakFree CLP to the safety selector and detent, and got the desired result. Also, try flipping the safety back and forth a lot of times. It helped smoothen out the action for me.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:14:55 AM EST
Lube it and work it! Uh, your selector that is.
Link Posted: 10/18/2004 7:21:28 AM EST
my bushy slector is nice and smooth... although I don't hear an audible "snap"... rather I feel the snap... which is exactly what I want... don't really need anyone hearing me switch the on button to "on" !
Top Top