Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/14/2005 4:15:12 AM EDT
I recent bought a Tangodown battle grip to replace my Hogue grip. So I have the screw out and for the life of me I can not get it back in but a few turns. The Tangodown screw that was supplied, will only go in a turn or too. The original screw for the hogue grip now does the same thing. I have put as much pressure as I could on one allen wrench that it snapped in half. Anyone have any idea what may be the issue. I started to wonder if maybe the older model Bushmasters have a smaller diameter hole and/or I had this issue before, just never knew it. Serial #44xxx, so maybe they had smaller screw usage then?? Anyone??
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 5:15:40 AM EDT
I have a Bushmaster in 40X ser. # range and it takes the exact same screw as one I have in 56X range. The screw you took out is identical to the new one? I would check the threads, make sure the lower is not damaged - it is easy to cross thread that screw during installation
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 6:55:59 AM EDT
Sounds like a cross-treaded screw to me, bummer! Not really to sure what you can do except drill it bigger and use a larger screw.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:15:31 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2005 7:15:57 AM EDT by boltcatch]
If it is cross threaded, but just for a couple of turns, you might want to try cleaning up the threads with the appropriate sized tap before drilling it out and re-tapping it for a larger size thread. That could save you some time and effort.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 12:15:23 PM EDT
Try repairing the threads by using the correct size tap as stated above. And if the hole is beyond repair you could use a thread repair insert. Like EZ-Lok or Heli-Coil. Good luck.
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 1:53:40 PM EDT
if you can find a proper sized back-tap you will be guranteed the new threads line up with the old ones
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 3:58:28 PM EDT
Anyone have an idea of what the proper size tap would be. I have no taps lying around so I would have to special order one to try that method, which of course is what I will do before the latter idea. I would imagine the size is standard to most AR's?? thanks
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 4:09:05 PM EDT
Edblevi,

I have a solution for you, I will buy your preban lower, or buy you 2 lowers (brand new), or buy you one lower and send cash for your preban.

Lets make a deal, that crossthreaded grip screw is going to drive you nuts, it would be better to sell it to a less fortunate (behind enemy lines) person such as myself
Link Posted: 9/14/2005 7:59:26 PM EDT
ah yeah, sure! I'll get it worked out, just need the proper tap and it will be fixed. The screw that was in there was there for sometime so I would suppose maybe something got cross threaded or something.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:42:27 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Got_Guns:
Edblevi,

I have a solution for you, I will buy your preban lower, or buy you 2 lowers (brand new), or buy you one lower and send cash for your preban.

Lets make a deal, that crossthreaded grip screw is going to drive you nuts, it would be better to sell it to a less fortunate (behind enemy lines) person such as myselfhr

Damn, makes me wish I still had my pre-ban! I got a pre-ban AK if your interested.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 2:04:05 PM EDT
An AK would be nice...too bad they (7.6sx39 only) are banned in CT.

Thanks for the offer
Top Top