Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/18/2003 5:27:44 PM EDT
I have a 20" postban Bushmaster and would like to add a muzzle brake.  The rifle just doesn't look right with a naked muzzle.  Can anyone give me some advice on the Bushmaster brakes or should I "thread and weld"?  Or would one of the other postban brakes be a better choice?
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 5:53:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Send your rifle to [url=http://www.kurtskustomfirearms.citymax.com/page/page/8932.htm]Kurt's Kustom Firearms[/url] for a brake.  He has the best on the market.
Link Posted: 9/18/2003 8:16:35 PM EDT
[#2]
I have a smith type muzzle break, attaches with set screws.  I like it, makes the flash looks good, no flash hider here.  I got it while in college and sending the barrel off was not an option.  In the future, I'd but a barrel with a comp on it.  I also like the EGW race comp.  
My $.02

Heres some pics:  
[img]http://www.horses-n-trains.com/tj/MVC-808F.JPG[/img]
[img]http://www.horses-n-trains.com/tj/MVC-809F.JPG[/img]
Link Posted: 9/19/2003 12:35:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks guys, I'll look into both of these.
Link Posted: 9/20/2003 10:06:34 PM EDT
[#4]
Yeah, good and LOUD (Y-COMP)
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 10:02:28 AM EDT
[#5]
I purchased a new Bushmaster that came with the post ban style Mini Y Comp brake.  While doing the recommended initial 200 round barrel break in the taper pin that secures the Mini Y Comp sheared off.  The brake went down range and was not able to be found.  I did however find the taper pin on the table.  The pin was definitely sheared off but luckily there was no damage to the barrel or any other part of the rifle.  This occurred at approximately 125 rounds.  The ammo was new federal factory 55grn L.C. FMJ.  "I also had a Bushy with the AK brake with no reported issues".  I am sure this is not normal but it still happened to me.

I also had an Olympic that had a factory brake with the set screws.  They come loose after even less usage.

I don’t trust anything that does not screw on properly.

One thing is for sure though the brake made a surprisingly noticeable reduction in felt recoil “not that the .223 needs it.  I will probably replace it with the exact same unit since it was already factory drilled to accept it.  The Mini Y Comp is only $29.99 and is one of the better looking units out there.  I know this was just a weird fluke and that it would be covered under warranty but I personally feel that it is worth the $29.95 to not be without my rifle.  I will get a new barrel assembly if/when the AWB sunsets anyway.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 9:15:25 PM EDT
[#6]
[img]http://www.boomspeed.com/kisara/KisaraAKcomp1.jpg[/img]
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#7]
Ouch, thats gotta hurt.
Link Posted: 9/21/2003 10:51:45 PM EDT
[#8]
NO Brakes are any good on an AR (flame suit donned).

The "practicality" of a brake is nill. The light round & internal buffer system of the AR cancel out the need for a break, so all you are doing is paying for an ungodly amount of noise.

That leaves us with only the aesthetics issue. Granted it doesn't look right but you get past that shortly enough. This all boils down to 2 scenarios:

1. You tear your hair out at the sight of the barrel and are so spastically impulsive that you can't wait a year for a real FH. Solution: Kurt's. They come highly reccommended.

2. You would rather see something on top, but the uselessness of a brake coupled with the cost & time to have it put on for less than a year's use makes no sense to you (or me). Solution: Wait.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 2:39:13 AM EDT
[#9]
Kisara, it looks like Bushmaster owes their rifle owners an explanation!  

Damn that has a familiar smell.  I was just glad to see my barrel wasn’t damaged itself when the same thing happened to me.  Last night when I was cleaning up the aftermath I noticed that there was a lot of copper build up on the muzzle crown which can only mean that the dam thing wasn’t blown off “it was shot off”.  Now I am a little concerned.

I want to know how common this is and how to make sure my new one will not do the same freaking thing.  Anybody else have the same issue?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:35:02 AM EDT
[#10]
Does something change next year that flash suppressors will be legal on a post-ban AR again ?
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 6:50:39 AM EDT
[#11]
I just got off the phone with Bushmaster:
First: the Mini Y Comp does not come predrilled so you must drill it and the barrel at the same time so simply popping another one on is a no go.  Under warranty they fill the barrel and start all over.
Second: The pin isn’t actually what holds it in place, it is the locking compound used in the press on process.
Third: Third they are now using a new compound that is supposed to be better at keeping it on.

I don’t want to be without my SHTF rifle for three weeks so they Bushy is going to send me a new pin to fill the void.  It is actually more accurate without the brake anyway.  “My Choice; they said they would warranty the problem”.  I might borrow an upper and do it later who knows; after AWB sunset it is history anyway.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:28:43 AM EDT
[#12]
yeah, the bushmaster brakes are only good if you are trying to knock out people at the range with the concussion and niose from each shot... can't wait for this damned AWB to sunset.
Link Posted: 9/22/2003 11:31:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 4:06:33 PM EDT
[#14]
I really do want to protect the muzzle, never know what you might bump into.  You guys have answered a couple of questions for me and I thank you all (1)noise and (2)will it fly off.  I think that having one go down range would really upset me, and I do not want to piss people off at the range by busting their eardrums.  Could a person not just buy a threaded barrel and install a Legal brake and pin or braze it to make it permanent? Muzzle protection is important, I wish Clinton had given a thought about our "crowns" before signing this law. Again I thank you guys for your replies and experience.    

Kurt's Kustom Firearms is starting to look pretty good to me.  Just hate being without my Bushy for any length of time ie:one hour or more[:)]
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:06:01 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
NO Brakes are any good on an AR (flame suit donned).

The "practicality" of a brake is nill. The light round & internal buffer system of the AR cancel out the need for a break, so all you are doing is paying for an ungodly amount of noise.

View Quote

Actually I dont remember the AR15 having less recoil than an MP5 do you?  If there is recoil it can be reduced and if it can be reduced then you can have faster and more accurate follow up shots.  Knights is coming out with a muzzle brake/compensator/flash hider.  Guess that useless eh?  The comp on the SPR is useless too?  And on the AK74?  I think not.
Link Posted: 9/24/2003 5:07:13 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Does something change next year that flash suppressors will be legal on a post-ban AR again ?
View Quote

Yes, the Assult Weapons Ban ends...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top