Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 10/2/2005 9:56:08 AM EDT
I need some guidance/advice from the good people on this forum. I have the opportunity to pick up a used Bushmaster Modular Carbine (25th Anniversary) for $1000 from a friend. It's in excellent condition. I'm not looking at it for its collector value, just as a practical-use carbine. What I like about the Modular Carbine is that I plan on mounting an EOTech once I buy an AR15, and this one already has flip-up sights that won't obscure the view. Also, this one has a flash hider attached, but I've noticed that on other 25th Anniversary's I've seen on the internet that they had no flash hider. What's the deal with that; were some sold with flash hiders? My friend bought the carbine used and it was like that.

So what I need to know is whether $1000 is a good price. If not, what would be? Also, I would like to get some opinions on the Modular Carbine from people who have owned/fired them and compared them to something like, say, an M4-style.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 9:58:42 AM EDT
You could actually build a modular carbine with exactly what you want on it for cheaper if you were willing to dive into something fairly simple and fun
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 11:24:44 AM EDT
+1 for build it yourself.

Max
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:05:26 PM EDT
Are you guys talking about building one from the ground up, or just adding stuff to a production model? If building one from the ground up, do I need gunsmithing abilities? Will all of the parts go together without any fitting required? What uppers, lowers, and other parts do you guys recommend (pretty broad question, I know). I have $1000 cash to spend on an AR15. I like the M4 style the best. Help me out guys...put together a $1000 package for me. I'm pretty sure I want to put an EOTech on it eventually, so I'll need a flat top. I guess I really need help with picking out the cool add-ons to go with the upper and lower, and maintaining my $1000 budget.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:15:53 PM EDT
get it .it sold for more than that new.and it has extras on it that will end up costing you more than the $1000 if you make one.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 12:35:57 PM EDT
I bought a mod carbine when they were new. Now that I know what I know I would have never bought it. I changed the thing so much that it did not even resemble what it was. If I was you I would start with the SEBR 2005 model that ar15.com is putting on with Bushmaster. It is an excellent value and I think you will be happry with it. Here is a link to the ongoing disscusion.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 1:03:50 PM EDT
Keep the replies coming guys...it's giving me things to think about.
Link Posted: 10/2/2005 4:53:49 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 10/2/2005 4:55:17 PM EDT by GI_Brat]
Link Posted: 10/3/2005 8:01:22 PM EDT
I really like my mod carbine, it is really accurate and reliable but if I did it over again I would probalbly have built one myself. I spent $1300 on it new during the ban, put on a telestock ($100), a flash suppressor ($100). Now thats a $1500 rifle. Then add bipod adapter, harris bipod, refex sight, leatherwood ART scope, surefire, magazines, slings, ammo, and on and on and on. Not cheap. $1000 seems like a pretty good deal for it though, it was way more expensive new.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 4:08:49 AM EDT
well if it aint for collecting then build your own.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:03:44 AM EDT
I've got a mod carbine too. I love it, but I would never buy one gain - I'd build it. I too am "converting" it to no-ban. It's at ADCO right now getting the barrel threaded.
It has some nice features (flip ups, YHM rail handguards etc.)but, it'd be a LOT cheaper to build.

I can't decide whether to trash the ACE skelly stock and get a telestock or just keep it. I like ho the ACE cheek welds.

I actually was able to get mine for $989.00 w/transfer out the door brand new, so I don't feel quite as abd as others.
Link Posted: 10/4/2005 5:53:03 AM EDT
Thanks for the help, guys. I've decided to pass on this one and get something in the M4 design.
Top Top