Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 9/18/2005 8:36:45 PM EDT
Hey fellas, just had my first experience with my first AR. I had fun and the rifle shot great.

To start I shot a few targets at 25yds and while POI was high it was tight as I could expect. I moved out to 50yds and I was shooting over the target while using the same 6 o'clock hold. I started to make adjustments but started getting frustrated when my glasses kept fogging up and my earmuffs prevented me from getting comfortable with the stock. I shot around 300 rounds of Wolf  with zero jams.

I like the Bushy M4A3 alot! Only complaints were my personal equipment (eyes and ears) and I plan on changing that before my next trip.

Couldn't get the take down pin to move so I shot the rifle right out of the box (including a few drops of CLP on the bolt).

Sight in questions: I see the link on the improved 50yd battle sight and plan to follow those instructions but before I do, am I wasting my time? Does Wolf ammo shoot to the same trajectory as the ammo that was supposed to be shot in this rifle? Would 55gr or 62gr be what I should stick with with this carbine?

Sling questions: The factory sling is simple enough but I don't like the loop on the stock, it digs into my chest... I think I'm going to remove it. Is it proper to just loop the rear of the sling thru the notch in the collapseable stock?

Break in questions: The manual didn't say anything but the takedown pins are on tight!So I plan to just shoot the crap out of it before stripping it down... Is this okay to do? I'm sure I'll go thru a whole case in no time he
Oh yeah, the trigger pull is great on this rifle! Didn't seem to heavy to me at all.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:39:42 PM EDT
[#1]
Tap the take down pin out, and clean ( & lube) your weapon.

Wolf will not shoot the same POA/ POI as other ammo.

Most people use a different sling.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#2]
The pin will be tight when new. Like Stick said just tap it out. With new Bushies I like to use the little orange chamber block they give you. Just put the rounded edge on the pin and give it a light tap with a hammer. It will come right out. Before you know it you'll be able to push it out with your finger. Congrats and enjoy the blaster. Oh and upgrade your ammo.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:22:44 AM EDT
[#3]
Okay, I'll tap the pins out....

...and clean it up.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 1:57:40 AM EDT
[#4]
+1 what stickman said.  Try some other ammo manufacturers.  Not all ammo shoots the same and Wolf is good plinking ammo but not much else.

Max
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 7:13:20 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Sight in questions: I see the link on the improved 50yd battle sight and plan to follow those instructions but before I do, am I wasting my time? Does Wolf ammo shoot to the same trajectory as the ammo that was supposed to be shot in this rifle? Would 55gr or 62gr be what I should stick with with this carbine?

The 50y IBSZ works fine with Wolf of either flavor.  Your extended range (150-200M) will be a bit lower with Wolf compared to other ammo but not to worry.

BTW Over the weekend I was target shooting and busting some clay pigeons at 50y with my Bushy M4.  I used Wolf 55gr, Q3131A (M193 clone), and Black Hills 75gr.  While there was some shift - they all could keep on a clay pigeon at 50y without me having to change my sights.

Sling questions: The factory sling is simple enough but I don't like the loop on the stock, it digs into my chest... I think I'm going to remove it. Is it proper to just loop the rear of the sling thru the notch in the collapseable stock?

?? How does the sling loop dig into your chest.  How are you holding the rifle?

If you want to loop the sling through the notch in the stock get the 'Top Sling' adapter kit (Bushy & DPMS sell it).  The other option is to swtich to a single point sling and get a sling point sling adapter.

Break in questions: The manual didn't say anything but the takedown pins are on tight!So I plan to just shoot the crap out of it before stripping it down... Is this okay to do? I'm sure I'll go thru a whole case in no time

You really should have cleaned it first.  But since it is operating go ahead.  If the pin is tough to push out then use a tool to push on the end (small end on the selector side).  Commonly used tools are a cartridge tip, cleaning rod tip, pin punch etc.  Then clean the heck out of the pin & lube it.

Using the peep question: How far away do I put my eye, right up to it or hold off a certain distance?

In the Army we used to hold our eye in a way that the nose was just about touching the charging handle.  That allowed for a consistant cheekweld.

Does it matter?

Honestly the position does not matter - what matters is that you do it consistantly the same.  If it changes your bullet will be all over the target.  Hence the nose-to-charging handle technique.  It's very consistant.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:05:08 AM EDT
[#6]
Thanks guys for the input, especially the detailed answers Forest.

The sling loop on the stock just catches me in side of my chest when I bring it up... just uncomfortable

It doesn't bother me when I shoulder up on the right shoulder ( I'm a lefty)   Maybe I'm just uneven

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top