Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/26/2004 11:07:21 AM EDT
Hi all,

I'm trying to order my first AR-15, and I want to get a Bushmaster M4 Type Carbine - they list it on their website as having a 1/9 twist.  Can I order the same rifle with a 1/7, or will I have to buy the barrel separately?  Is the 1/7 likely to involve a longer wait for the rifle?

On a side note, my local dealer seems to be a little reluctant to actually order the rifle for me from Bushmaster - they seemed to want to just put my name on a waiting list and let me know when they receive a rifle that matches what I want.  Seems kind of strange - Bushmaster should be able to just take an order from the dealer based on the specs I'm looking for, right?

Thanks for your help,

Dave
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:30:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Your dealer may be able to order your M4 configured in that manner straight from Bushy but it will result in a longer waiting time (especially if they haven't done a recent run of 1 in 7 barrels, they don't make these on a regular basis) I bought my LEM4A3 around 3 weeks ago and called up Bushmaster. They sold me the 1 in 7 M4 barrel (threaded but no flash suppressor already attached.) If you buy the 1 in 9 version from your dealer, you can send the upper in to Bushmaster and they will mount your new 1 in 7 barrel and give you full credit for your 1 in 9 to put towards the 1 in 7 and install fee.
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:40:27 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
If you buy the 1 in 9 version from your dealer, you can send the upper in to Bushmaster and they will mount your new 1 in 7 barrel and give you full credit for your 1 in 9 to put towards the 1 in 7 and install fee.

Thanks for the great info - that sounds like pretty good customer service to me!  I'll go ahead and do it that way.

Dave
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 12:48:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Just keep in mind that you will need to buy another Phantom or Vortex to have permanently attached to your new 1 in 7 barrel. Now Bushmaster will gladly sell you their neutered Phantom (same performance as 5C2 but it doesn't have the aggresive tip) and permanently attach it for you. If you don't care about the style of the Phantom then that's the way to go. I wanted the more aggresive looking 5C2 so I went about it another way. I ordered the 1 in 7 swap out barrel from Bushy. When it arrived I sent my originally configured upper, the 5C2 Phantom, Larue 7.0 and my swap barrel and sent it to Denny's to do the build up. Bushmaster will only instally the suppressors ordered from them. I then sold the 1 in 9 barrel on the EE. By the way, it would be in your best interest to go ahead and float the front end now while the barrel swap is being performed. Once the new barrel is in and phantom is perm. attached you'll be stuck with it. Should you decide at a later date to float the front you'll have to send it back in once again, have suppressor removed, FF installed and then reattach the suppressor. You'll save money in the long run by spending more money and building it up right the first time. Just my .02
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 1:28:27 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/26/2004 8:04:08 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
If the shop orders direct from BM, they only get a fixed 10% discount, compared to 20% or more from the distributer.  Thus, the store would much rather you bought something they stocked (which they bought at a 20% discount) than something you order at 10% discount, because they're going to have to charge you at LEAST MSRP on the latter just to survive.  Many shops won't even do it.

-Troy

Yeah, dealer prices from Bushmaster SUCK!.  But at least you get front sight parts, sling swivels, delta rings, weld springs, and handguards at an awesome price with the complete assemblies.

Has anyone else heard that BM isn't doing anymore 1/7 Gov't barrels?  That is what my dealer told me.  There wasn't enough interest.  I really like 20 inch Gov't weight barrels.  It has to be the sweetest handling barrel out there, IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 10:49:57 AM EDT
[#6]
Here's a weird one, I'd like a 20 inch govt profile 1/12 chrome lined.

Or, a 16 inch M4 profiled 1/12 chrome lined.

I'd buy both of those today.
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:01:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:15:01 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I'm trying to order my first AR-15, and I want to get a Bushmaster M4 Type Carbine - they list it on their website as having a 1/9 twist.  Can I order the same rifle with a 1/7, or will I have to buy the barrel separately?  Is the 1/7 likely to involve a longer wait for the rifle?

If you want a 1:7, you MUST order it that way.  All standard rifle packages will have 1:9 barrels.  1:7 M4 barrels are only available in 14.5" lengths, so you'll need to have an extended-length FS permanently attached.  Get one of the Phantom models.

On a side note, my local dealer seems to be a little reluctant to actually order the rifle for me from Bushmaster - they seemed to want to just put my name on a waiting list and let me know when they receive a rifle that matches what I want.  Seems kind of strange - Bushmaster should be able to just take an order from the dealer based on the specs I'm looking for, right?

That's because it costs the shop a LOT less to take whatever they get from their distributer than to order direct from BM.  Dealing with lots of individual orders is a huge administrative hassle for a large company like BM, so they prefer to sell the majority of their rifles through their distributer network.  The distributers will order several hundred rifles of a given configuration at a time, and will usually have 4-6 configurations available at any one time.  A gun shop that deals with more than one distributer may have up to 10 or more models to choose from.  But if you want something other than those choices, it has to be ordered direct.

But, see, distributers get a BIG discount, and much of that is passed on to the gun shop.  If the shop orders direct from BM, they only get a fixed 10% discount, compared to 20% or more from the distributer.  Thus, the store would much rather you bought something they stocked (which they bought at a 20% discount) than something you order at 10% discount, because they're going to have to charge you at LEAST MSRP on the latter just to survive.  Many shops won't even do it.

Remember though: you can always buy just the lower half from the dealer and order the upper, in your desired config, directly from BM.

-Troy

+1
Link Posted: 9/27/2004 11:29:05 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:12:38 PM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for all the info, guys.  I'm actually looking for the M4-style carbine that Bushmaster is listing on their website that has the 16" barrel (1/9) and the "GI" cage flash suppressor.  I wasn't aware that Bushmaster only made the 1/7 in the 14.5" length.

What other options do I have for a 16" barrel with 1/7 twist?  I assume Colt makes one for their LEO carbine - could I order a barrel separately from them, or can I get a better quality barrel from someone else?  I'm not looking for match grade here necessarily - just a good quality barrel for a tactical carbine.

I'm not a fan of the permanently fixed flash suppressor, which is why I'm staying away from the 14.5" barrel - just a personal preference.  I plan to hold out and register a SBR eventually so I can have a true 14.5" M4 barrel.

Thanks for all the advice,

Dave
Link Posted: 9/29/2004 10:18:12 PM EDT
[#11]
Colt makes a chrome lined 1/7 16 inch barrel. Bushmaster has run some carbine barrels, HBAR 16 1/7, just a few for arfcommers. RRA makes a chrome mid length 1/8, or so I have heard.

CMMG sotcks DPMS made M4 receivers with both 16 and 14.5 inch 1/7 barrels.

LMT has 16 and 14.5 M4 uppers with 1/7 barrels also.
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 8:01:42 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
Here's a weird one, I'd like a 20 inch govt profile 1/12 chrome lined.

Or, a 16 inch M4 profiled 1/12 chrome lined.

I'd buy both of those today.

Fulton Armory sells exactly that, a 20" chrome lined A2 1/12 med. wt. barrel made by Colt for $199.  It kept 5 rounds of Win 45 jhp INSIDE 1.25 inches @ 200 yards, and it's NOT even free  floated.  Barrel is rollmarked "C MP 5.56 NATO 1/12", and has an "F" marked FSB.
The complete upper assembly(A4 w/ triangular HG's) only weighs 4# 8.25 oz. without the scope and mount (an old SP1 upper weighs 4# 7.5 oz. by comparison) which is pretty light for a "varmint" rifle.  HTH.

Paladin
Link Posted: 9/30/2004 9:32:33 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
Colt makes a chrome lined 1/7 16 inch barrel. Bushmaster has run some carbine barrels, HBAR 16 1/7, just a few for arfcommers. RRA makes a chrome mid length 1/8, or so I have heard.

CMMG sotcks DPMS made M4 receivers with both 16 and 14.5 inch 1/7 barrels.

LMT has 16 and 14.5 M4 uppers with 1/7 barrels also.

Get the 16" LMT from MSTN

I got ton board with the special order 1:7, 16" that busmaster did for us. I am very happy with it, but if i had to do it over again, I would get the 16" LMT M4. (it's theaded, has M4 feedramps, proper FSB, and lighter than my HBAR)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top