Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 6/17/2003 11:07:34 AM EDT
I have a complete Bushmaster lower I picked up some time ago and have done nothing with it. I have seen different advertisements regarding the Dissapator and I am considering picking up an upper to complete my rifle. I was hoping to hear from other folks who own or have had the opportunity to fire one of these rifles; your thoughts, likes, dislikes, etc.

Best Regards, C
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:19:49 AM EDT
I had a dissy upper for about 6 months. Never had any problems with it and the extra sight radius was handy. I ended up trading it for a 20" upper, but not because of any problems I encountered. I just prefer the "look" of a standard upper. It was a little heavier than most standard 16" uppers, but that's a very minor point. If you like the look of the Dissipator, I'm sure you'd be happy with it.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 11:32:56 AM EDT
I don't think you'll be happy with a standard Dissipator for the reason Calvert lists: excess weight. If you can buy a Bushmaster Lightweight Dissipator, M4 Dissipator, or have a HBAR turned down these make very, very nice carbines. Hard to grab a hot barrel with one of these! -- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:11:01 PM EDT
I don't own one, but my buddy did. I always liked the concept, and now with Bushmaster's lighter "M4 Dissipator" I like it even more. They make a lot of sense with postban lowers. A bayo lug wouldn't be missed, since it would be useless. And the muzzle doesn't look so "bare" when it's next to the front site. Just MHO, of course.
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 12:49:00 PM EDT
I have a standard BM Dissipator and am very happy with it. It does feel slightly heavy in the front - I might get a fluted barrel to cut the weight a little - but this is a pretty minor issue. I like the look of the Dissipator, and it does have some practical advantages. My next upper will probably have a free-floated 16" barrel, but I'll still try to equip it with a full, or maybe mid-length, handguard. Doug
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 1:40:43 PM EDT
I have a standard BM Dissipator and am very happy with it. It does feel slightly heavy in the front - I might get a fluted barrel to cut the weight a little - but this is a pretty minor issue. I like the look of the Dissipator, and it does have some practical advantages. My next upper will probably have a free-floated 16" barrel, but I'll still try to equip it with a full, or maybe mid-length, handguard. Doug
Link Posted: 6/17/2003 2:35:14 PM EDT
Here is my train of thought: Full-length sight radius, I’m a big fan of iron sights and this is a plus. Carbine length weapon, a little handier, I’ve often thought about trying three-gun and have been told this would be a perfect rifle. Looks, M4-guy has a point, I think it looks less neutered than a 20-inch rifle, I still think it would look better with a lug and flash hider; I have a feeling that I’m preaching to the choir here. The weight of the rifle is a concern of mine, albeit a minor one. I do not particularly care for the M4 barrel, and fluting is an option but Bushmaster will not confine the fluting to only the part of the barrel under the handguards, I also don’t care to have the barrel fluted under or in front of the front sight. This leaves me with the option on a heavy barrel and later having the upper disassembled, the barrel fluted, refinished and the whole thing reassembled. Does anybody have any recommendations as to where I could get this done? Thanks for all the help, C
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:04:23 AM EDT
Here's mine, and while I was perfectly happy with it, I bought an M4 barrel for it (I couldn't resist): [img]http://photos.ar15.com/ImageGallery/Attachments/DownloadAttach.asp?iImageUnq=10470[/img] The brake is a Smith post-ban. It shot really well, with zero muzzle climb, and makes a terrific GP carbine with the full sight radius.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:29:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2003 8:32:33 AM EDT by Gunzilla]
Almost all the 16" guns I build now are of the Dissy concept -- I use a mid-length gas system however, on a custom contour barrel and free float handguards. The package is very nice... short, light, the reliability of the mid-length system and full length sight radius. A very poor pic that shows a top end sitting next to a 14.5 w/phantom gives and idea of size. [img]www.gunzilla.com/images/dualing_uppers.jpg[/img] Finishing a post-ban up right now an can post pics of it later...
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 10:15:11 AM EDT
Ahh, the Bushy Dissipator. Yes, I have one of those, and I am quite happy. But I was happier after I sent my upper to KKF to lighten the sucker up! He took about a pound of metal off the barrel (to look kinda like Bushy's M4 profile Dissipator). To tell you the truth, the hot ticket is to get a 1:7 20" barrel and have it cut down to 16". This well give you the Dissipator's long sight radius, but at an even lighter package. That's what I'm going to slap on my next upper. I really like the idea of having a full sight radius in a light and handy package. Something to think about...
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:07:53 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ch139: ...., I also don’t care to have the barrel fluted under or in front of the front sight.
View Quote
Bushy doesn't flute UNDER the front sight - but they will do it in front of the front sight. I think it looks good but to each his own.
This leaves me with the option on a heavy barrel and later having the upper disassembled, the barrel fluted, refinished and the whole thing reassembled. Does anybody have any recommendations as to where I could get this done?
View Quote
There is only 1 place - [b]Kurt's Kustom Firearms[/b] and the price is VERY reasonable. Check out his area in the Industry section down near the bottom. However instead of fluting I'd go with his Lightweight Disapator job. You'll save more weight and still be as accurate.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:11:51 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2003 11:18:56 AM EDT by Gunzilla]
20" barrel cut to 16" is not reliable with all ammo -- that is why I moved the gas block back to the mid-length on the rifles I build. edited to add: I know, you can open the gas port, but I think the copromise of moving the gas port back to 9.5" is all around better.
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:56:40 AM EDT
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 12:11:40 PM EDT
I am thinking about trading my 16" Bushy a2 upper w/ ak brake for a Bushy 16" a2 dissipator upper. I like the look. Anyone have any bad experiences w/ the dissipator upper? The guy I am thinking about trading with says it has an occasional failure to extract. Anyone have any ideas? Anyone have any dealings with a guy named Chris or Pete with the screenname Madball from PA? Thanks Steven
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 1:29:16 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2003 1:34:37 PM EDT by Gunzilla]
Originally Posted By Troy:
Originally Posted By Gunzilla: 20" barrel cut to 16" is not reliable with all ammo
View Quote
Mine is. Gas port opened up to .110", it will run great with anything from Fed AE (which is a fairly light load) to XM193 to 75gr Black Hills. But, yes, the gas port must be opened up or it will not be reliable with that much barrel missing. -Troy
View Quote
True... but my point is that the pressure/time curve for a mid-length with 16" barrel is much closer to what the rifle was designed for. I figured, as long as the gas block was going to be under the handguards (Dissy), why not move it up to 9.5"? I cut down my first 20" to 16" about 20 years ago, I used that rifle for a few years and noticed that it was not quite as reliable (I sold it my brother and got a 10.5" 9MM MG!)... anywho, anything is a copromise from the original design -- just that I prefer to move the gas port back. edited to fix bad grammer, grammer now good
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 8:53:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/18/2003 8:54:54 PM EDT by urbankaos04]
Gunzilla-- Have you had any personal experiences with the conversion that KKF does? I've talked to three different people (I know that is an extremely small sample) who have had Kurt cut down their 20" barrel and do gas port work; none had any problems. Have the problems YOU have experienced been on rifles YOU modified, or rifles that were done by KKF? I'm just asking, because I know KURT does GOOD work. Maybe, the rifles you converted just weren't done right? ch139: At any rate, if cutting down a 20" barrel isn't your cup of tea, why not just have KKF lighten up the barrel as much as you want. He could profile the barrel ANYWAY YOU WANT. Don't want the M4 profile? Fine, have him give your Dissipator a GOVERNMENT PROFILE...thin all the way through, except at the gas block portions...and WALA! you have a really light DISSIPATOR... Just my .02!
Link Posted: 6/18/2003 11:29:32 PM EDT
I’ve been figuring on just picking up the heavy Dissipator and seeing what it is like. If it seems to be a little too much I can send out the upper to have the barrel fluted fore and aft of the gas block, see if I can’t take a little bit of weight out of it; I’m thinking that would be just perfect. I’m getting excited about this; I figuring it would makes the perfect rifle: balances well, long sight radius and it’ll probably point like a good skeet gun. Thanks for all the input. C
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 6:42:32 AM EDT
Originally Posted By ch139: I’ve been figuring on just picking up the heavy Dissipator and seeing what it is like. If it seems to be a little too much I can send out the upper to have the barrel fluted fore and aft of the gas block, see if I can’t take a little bit of weight out of it; I’m thinking that would be just perfect. I’m getting excited about this; I figuring it would makes the perfect rifle: balances well, long sight radius and it’ll probably point like a good skeet gun. Thanks for all the input. C
View Quote
Trust me, the BASIC DISSIPATOR is HEAVY! I had one, which I quickly sent to have MACHINED (not fluted) to give me something like the M4-Dissipaor profile (but mine still had a bit more metal removed). Once you get your Dissy you'll see...HEAVY. That's whay I'm convinced that going with a cut down 20" with gas port work is THE WAY to go...
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:37:58 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/19/2003 8:39:48 AM EDT by Gunzilla]
Originally Posted By urbankaos04: Gunzilla-- Have you had any personal experiences with the conversion that KKF does? I've talked to three different people (I know that is an extremely small sample) who have had Kurt cut down their 20" barrel and do gas port work; none had any problems.
View Quote
Nope... I have no personal experience with Kurt's chop job, but I know that he does very good work and I am sure that most would be very happy. Actually, to be honest, I had not even heard of KKF when this project started, circa 1982.
Have the problems YOU have experienced been on rifles YOU modified, or rifles that were done by KKF? I'm just asking, because I know KURT does GOOD work. Maybe, the rifles you converted just weren't done right? Just my .02!
View Quote
Hummmm... sort of a personal slight, but let me assure you that after carrying an AR15/M16 of some type, as part of my work, for 26 years now... I have a pretty good knowledge of the system. As I said, that experience was, as you put it MINE, but at least I have had practical field experience. That particular rifle shot fine most of the time, but after extended periods of use, it just was not as reliable as it could have been -- granted, this was maybe a handfull of problmes over many thousands of rounds, but I noticed that (especially during full auto fire) it tripped more than I was comfortable with. I also encountered problems with the short dwell times when I carried an XM177, the E2 added some barrel to make things better and with the moderator it was pretty reliable -- keep in mind, however, that we did not have near the choices of ammo that we have now. I know for a fact that the current CQBR works great, but I assure you the gas port location is decided by the amount of available real estate. A few years later, I looked at the idea again. This time we made a piezoelectric pressure gauge that clamped to the gas port and took pressure time readings firing the rifle with several different types of ammo -- In all cases, the curve was suspect. Even opening the gas port up, only made the P/T curve spike more. With a suppresor in place, it would work very well, but it was my thinking that simply moving the gas port back was the lesser of two evils. One has to drill out the gas port anyway, so it is just a matter of tramming the mill back 3.5" when you drill the port -- no voodoo or rocket science, just drilling a hole in a different location. It sounds that your experience with the 20 to 16 mod has been positive... That's great! But, just because someone has had a different experience and chooses to do things differently, does not imply that person does not know what they are doing.
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 8:54:17 AM EDT
Gunzilla: Sorry if I came across with a bit of an attitude, but I'm just so used to guys making unjustified statements that I tend to be critical of them now. And see how that worked? You explained yourself completely and shared the vast amount of experience you seem to have with the AR platform. By the way, what do you do? Just curious...
Link Posted: 6/19/2003 9:29:38 PM EDT
jeez, the HBAR Dissipator isn't THAT heavy! i mean, it probably has 4-6oz more than any 16" HBAR, and i think a heavy barrel is a big waste anyways, but i haven't had mine turned down (yet) and its not like all of a sudden there's a cinder block attached to your front sight! but, i do like lightweight whenever possible and will consider a KKF job in the future. but if you find a good deal on a standard (hbar) dissy take it, you won't be unhappy.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 3:12:36 AM EDT
Standard Dissipator weighs more then a 16" HBAR and that weighs more than a 20" M16A2 barrel. Yep, they're very heavy. I had a Dissipator barrel turned down to lightweight profile a couple of years ago and it's much nicer to carry and shoot than the standard barrel. Bushmaster makes this as a standard item now that I spent the extra money. -- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:09:38 AM EDT
Do you guys REALLY find a Dissi, or any AR, to be honestly HEAVY?? Seriously??
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:26:50 AM EDT
I agree with Gunzilla. A cutdown 20" can be made reliable. However, moving the gas port back will work better for a larger variety of loads and be less sensitive to cleanliness. A cutdown 20" may be a good candidate to use one of those fat gas tubes or the pigtail gas tube. They improve things by spreading out the gas pressure time curve. That would be an interesting measurement.
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 6:53:56 AM EDT
Originally Posted By Hawkeye: Do you guys REALLY find a Dissi, or any AR, to be honestly HEAVY?? Seriously??
View Quote
I didn't; I just happened to get bitten by the M4 bug. I once made a comment about the little extra weight up front helping to steady the muzzle, and got ragged on by some of the "experts" around here...
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:09:08 PM EDT
yoyo I have a bushmaster diss and it is great, it is front heavy but i justed added weight to the back, i put about one box of 147swc 38cal lead bullets that i had sitting around into the back of the stock and it makes the balance great. its something to try. vinniedablade
Link Posted: 6/20/2003 11:14:10 PM EDT
yoyo can you believe that the same people that say that the bushie diss is heavy also say that a 223 has a hard recoil , i would like to see them shoot a 7stw.
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 4:39:36 AM EDT
The only time the word "recoil" appears in this discussion is your message (and this one). Please note any message, anywhere, where I've stated "223" (or even 5.56mm, which I shoot) has a "hard recoil." Or for that matter anyone's message. The Bushmaster Dissipator is needlessly heavy. As are all HBARs. HBAR is heavier, not more accurate. -- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/21/2003 6:29:45 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 6/21/2003 6:30:41 AM EDT by M4Madness]
Originally Posted By ch139: I have a complete Bushmaster lower I picked up some time ago and have done nothing with it. I have seen different advertisements regarding the Dissapator and I am considering picking up an upper to complete my rifle. I was hoping to hear from other folks who own or have had the opportunity to fire one of these rifles; your thoughts, likes, dislikes, etc.
View Quote
Ch139, sounds like a situation I had. I had a brand new complete Bushmaster lower and pondered what upper to get. I bought an A2 Dissapator upper from a gentleman on this board and was satisfied with it. My reasoning for going with this model was the same as M4-guy's--I think that less barrel past the front sight base on a postban looks a lot better. Mine even had the AK brake, which made it look great. Granted it was a little heavy, but not to the point of being unbearable. The Dissipator is mainly designed for the longer sight radius, but I'm not much of a fan of irons anyway. I added an Aimpoint ML2 on a forward carry handle mount. As it was an extra AR-15 in my collection, I ended up trading it in on a Benelli M1014 shotgun. [:D]
Link Posted: 6/22/2003 9:40:39 PM EDT
yoyo so sorry if i offended anyone but i realy dont think that the diss is that heavy. i have had to carry one for several hours and it wasnt that bad but i guess different strokes for different fokes like i said sorry to offend vinniedablade
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 3:39:41 AM EDT
No problem that you don't think the Dissipator is that heavy. Just don't make statements you can't back up like everyone who thinks it's needlessly heavy also thinks these rifles have excessive recoil. [;)] -- Chuck
Link Posted: 6/23/2003 7:19:11 PM EDT
Originally Posted By Chuck: No problem that you don't think the Dissipator is that heavy. Just don't make statements you can't back up like everyone who thinks it's needlessly heavy also thinks these rifles have excessive recoil. [;)] -- Chuck
View Quote
I agree. We need to remember that many lurkers are reading. It is helpful for all of us to provide "balance" to any discussion. We would not want the lurkers thinking that HBAR are too heavy. [beer] I love the feel of my 16" HBAR Bushy. [booze]
Top Top