Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 10/9/2003 5:23:49 AM EDT
Well I finally got it to the range! I was overall very impressed with it,but just came back from firing my Carbon 15 97, Overall I like the quality, but I had multiple failure to eject after about 70 rounds. Looking closer I notice the extractor spring is a little "soft" as compared to my other AR-15 bolts. I 'm going to try a D fender, and heavy duty Wolff spring in hopes to correct the problem.
other conclusions:

Very light recoil for a pistol of this size, weight, and cal 5.56mm

Extremely LOUD when shooting.

Large Fire ball when shooting.

Accuracy was good for 25 yards, as a CQB weapon, it will do nicely.

Fit, and finish, seem to be much better than the old PO model.

I like the removable muzzle break, although, I'm wondering how well it will hold up without being "fired off" after a few hundred rounds.

I'm fairly confident I'll have the extraction problem corrected by the next range test, hopefully this week. Pictures to follow
Link Posted: 10/9/2003 4:11:55 PM EDT
[#1]
You should definately read this review I did if you haven't already . . . I think you will find it very interesting, seems the extractor spring problem is systemic :(

[url]http://www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=2&f=28&t=141379[/url]
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 2:12:02 AM EDT
[#2]
Exellent thread!! sounds like you have the same problems as me, who did you contact at Bushy?
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:08:31 AM EDT
[#3]
I contacted the standard phone number, and they had me ship the pistol to BFI and had it back in two days. However, since they have already done the troubleshooting on the problem, you should see if you can just send in your bolt . . .rather than the whole pistol. I believe the BFI moderator over in the bushmaster industry section of Ar15.com had a hand in the redesign of the Carbon 15.

BTW, the spring in my original bolt was so weak, that the extractor claw could be moved by lightly touching it.

Hope that helps.

Customer Service: 1-800-883-6229
Mon. through Fri. 8:30 am - 6:00 pm
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 5:19:50 AM EDT
[#4]
I just contacted Bushmaster, they're sending me a new extractor spring, and rubber plunger, to hopefully correct this. Is this what they did for yours?
Link Posted: 10/10/2003 10:20:20 AM EDT
[#5]
Rubber plunger, that sounds like a d-fender or whatever they are called, I know they replaced the extractor spring, but I am not sure if they put the plunger in. It is quite possible. Just be glad you didn't have to stress over shipping the entire pistol.

I new BFI would take care of it for you.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 3:43:51 AM EDT
[#6]
The rubber plunger I think they were talking about fits inside the extractor spring. They were not going to send me a d-fender. I already have one of those. I'll wait until I get their replacement extractor spring, and then I'll change all of them at once. If I can get my damn camera working, I'll load some pictures.
Link Posted: 10/11/2003 4:02:04 AM EDT
[#7]
Extremely loud?

Is it braked?

If so is the noise really due to the brake, or do you feel there are other contributing factors?
Link Posted: 10/13/2003 6:42:35 AM EDT
[#8]
It seems just as loud, with or without the brake
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 3:26:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Well, the new extractor spring is here, It is WAY more heavy duty than the one that came with the 97. I hope to try it out this week.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 5:40:59 AM EDT
[#10]
Thanks for providing info on these pistols...

I haven't handled one yet, but the pictures I've seen don't appear to show anyway to attach a single loop sling(?) Is there a hole for a sling swivel at the back of the receiver or elsewhere?

Thanks
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 1:19:41 PM EDT
[#11]
Shorter barrel = more noise.
Link Posted: 10/15/2003 1:46:52 PM EDT
[#12]
can u let us know what kind of groups this gun shoots at 100 yards ? i think it would be a great coyote hunting gun for walking. thanks. marty
Link Posted: 10/20/2003 2:52:19 AM EDT
[#13]
No there is no point of attachments for either the front or the rear.
Link Posted: 10/27/2003 3:15:30 AM EDT
[#14]
I received the replacement extractor spring from Bushy. I also put a blue D fender on it for shits, and giggles. Now, I'm happy!!!!The damned thing works perfectly!!!! 200 rounds, and not a glitch. Even ate that Wolf ammo.  I cannot believe how little recoil there is on this 97! All I need to do is find some adjustable night sights for it, or put a red dot on it, when the top rail mounts become available from Bushy.[pistol]
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top