Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/11/2005 4:34:40 AM EDT
Anyone have one of these or any dealings with them? Pros/cons?
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:28:34 AM EDT
Visit http://groups.yahoo.com/group/M17S/ . See for yourself what ACTUAL owners think, good and bad. Be wary of those who will praise or condemn it because they "shot one once" or "examined one for 10 minutes at a gunshow....

Nobby out
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:29:00 AM EDT
Friend of mine has one. IMHO it is heavy and has a bad trigger pull. It begs for optics because of its crappy sights.

Would I buy one...no.

Just my 2cents worth.

Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:48:14 AM EDT
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 5:59:29 AM EDT
I bought another M4 instead.

Max
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 6:45:18 AM EDT
i had one. it was neat, but that wore off soon. the trigger pull stinks, long and gritty. It is heavy, but that didn't bother me. Optics is a NEED not a want. Also the chamber is right under you rnose. I might be a big vag(ina), but the smell was less than pleasant.

The ambi mag release was neat, but no ambi ejection makes lefties blind or burnt.

Kurts Kustom Firearms (KKF) does WICKED COOL mods to the m17s to make it better. Rails, lightening holes for weight saving / cooling, colors, shortening bbl, etc. After KKF tricks them they are nice.

Just my 2 cents. I put less than 100 thru mine and sold it for an AK.

Stay safe
Link Posted: 9/11/2005 7:56:42 AM EDT

Technically, it is inaccurate to say that it is heavy. Since the barrel is 21.5" the correct comparison is an AR with a similar-length barre, and an AR with a 20" barrel weighs about the same as an M17S. Since the rifle is shorter than a 14.5" AR, people often make the mistake of incorrectly comparing it's weight to the shorter rifles.

So technically, the M17S is actually slightly lighter than comparable ARs, even with its piston gas system.

In short, the pros and cons of the M17S are:

Pros:
1. Very long barrel in very short package
2. Very good ergonomics (you can actually shoot it one-handed)
3. Very solid receiver
4. Very reliable - with a piston gas system that requires little cleaning

Cons:
1: The stock rail (and base) sucks, and should be replaced
2. Needs optics of some kind (the "iron sights" suck)
3. Trigger is not great (although is not really worse than most military triggers)
4. Some people need to get used to unfamiliar mag changes (not really a problem with the rifle, per se - just habit)

Fortunately, Kurt Wala at KKF can do extensive mods if you have the time and money to spend. He has a variety of rail options for the top, and can tweak the trigger. He can also do more extensive custom modifications.

For the price, it is by far the best deal in bullpups - and the only american factory-made bullpup I am aware of. With a few mods, it really is a great rifle (but, in it's stock configuration is deserves the hate - because it's like Bushmaster mostly finished it, and then just gave up).
Top Top