Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 8/30/2005 10:41:16 AM EDT
I contacted Bushmaster about exchanging my 20" HBAR for a 20" Government profile barrel. They said depending on the condition of my HBAR they would swap them. They said it should be "like new condition".  Problem is, if I ship this to them and they don't accept it then I pay $34 in shipping and get nothing for it. If they do accept it, it is $34 for shipping plus $10 for the new barrel. I'm shipping my upper reciver and also having them install the new barrel and flash hider, handguards, etc. My question is, should I clean it out first before I ship it to them? It only has about 150 rounds through it. What can I do to get it closest to "like new" condition before I ship it for them to look at?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 11:17:36 AM EDT
[#1]
Clean the chamber area, lugs, bore, and muzzle with patches and CLP. I would not even bother running a brush through. Just clean it with CLP and run dry patches repeatedly untill nothing more comes out of the barrel. With such a low round count it is unlikely you have fouling and you take more of a risk doing damage with a brush or copper remover than anything else. It should pass as like new.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:35:06 PM EDT
[#2]
When I ship, should I take the Bolt and Carrier and Charging Handle out?
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:39:04 PM EDT
[#3]
Leave the bolt carrier group so they can test fire it.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:49:23 PM EDT
[#4]
Man I knew Bushy's CS was great but that is awesome that they would exchange bbls for you. I have to agree just clean it without the brush and make sure you get the chamber and lugs spotless. It should still be like new. And yes leave the bolt carrier group and CH.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 9:59:38 PM EDT
[#5]

I had sent my Bushy in about 6 weeks ago,,had a AK 16" barrel on it .
They were to examine barrel and call me if they were going to restock it,,a 20% charge.
Got a Govt profile 20" 1/7 new flash hider ect, with a DCM free float tube.
Total pd less then 200$$
Turn around 2 weeks,,Who says cutomer service is dead?
oh yea send your BBCG in
SEMPER FI

btw   it was unfired
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:06:09 PM EDT
[#6]

Bet someone else get that barrel in a "new" rifle.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#7]
During the AWB, I purchased a Bushmaster with a lightweight barrel and Mini Y brake and I wasn't too satisfied with it. After contacting their customer service and talking it over with the tech guy, he not only agreed that the Mini Y was a POS, he also agreed to exchange it out for an M4 heavy barrel with an AK brake. They ended up charging me $45.00 for the whole deal and that included the labor for replacing the barrel on the upper as well.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 10:47:54 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 8/31/2005 9:33:29 PM EDT
[#9]
If I have a choice between 1/7 and 1/9 which should I go with? I will be using anything from 55gr. to maybe 70gr. for hunting.

Also, the barrel has a scratch on the bottom of it. I think from where the metal part of a bipod may have contacted it. Looks kinda like copper colored. I tried CLP and letting it sit overnight, then wiping it off and I can't figure out how to get it off. This is probably the thing that will make it or break it for me.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:02:30 PM EDT
[#10]
I think the 1/7 twist rate is better for M855 and heavier bullets, correct? And 1/9 is just an all-around twist that shoots most bullets good?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:17:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
If I have a choice between 1/7 and 1/9 which should I go with? I will be using anything from 55gr. to maybe 70gr. for hunting.

Also, the barrel has a scratch on the bottom of it. I think from where the metal part of a bipod may have contacted it. Looks kinda like copper colored. I tried CLP and letting it sit overnight, then wiping it off and I can't figure out how to get it off. This is probably the thing that will make it or break it for me.

If you can, get the 1/7, the only problems would be with the light(35-45 grain) bullets. youll be much happier especially since you can shoot the 75-77 grain OTMs accurately; not that the 1/9s won't. Some 1/9s are hit or miss, both my Bushy 1/9 20" and 14.5" shoot the 75-77 grain bullets great, but others wont.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 1:18:43 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:
I think the 1/7 twist rate is better for M855 and heavier bullets, correct? And 1/9 is just an all-around twist that shoots most bullets good?

Both barrel twists will shoot M-855 accurately, the problem is mentioned above, heavier bullets(75-77 grain) may not stabilize in the 1/9
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 3:24:04 PM EDT
[#13]
Is there anything I can look for to tell if they will NOT accept it? It is going to suck if I send it to them and they say no and thats $35 blown which could've gone toward something else.
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 7:02:40 PM EDT
[#14]
Now did you tell them the bbl was unfired and trying pass it off as so?
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 8:44:59 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
Now did you tell them the bbl was unfired and trying pass it off as so?

No, I told them it had about 150 rounds through it and the woman said they would take a look at it.
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 3:14:30 PM EDT
[#16]
Would it be a bad thing if it looks like the bore is broke-in now with it looking like the chrome showing in the bore? Or can Bushmaster restore the break-in?
Link Posted: 9/2/2005 5:27:32 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:
Would it be a bad thing if it looks like the bore is broke-in now with it looking like the chrome showing in the bore? Or can Bushmaster restore the break-in?

You don't break in a chromed bore, only a non-chromed bore. It would take tens of thousands of rounds to wear down the chrome lining if it is done well. Clean it well, should be fine.

The chrome lining looks like that when it is new.
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 7:45:39 AM EDT
[#18]
It's well worth it to have the factory do the switch for you.

Bushmaster is excellent to deal with. They charged me $51 to exchange a Superlight for a 16" M4. The turnaround was excellent, maybe two weeks.

They do want your Bolt Carrier Groug and charging handle though.

Go for the 1/7 twist if you have the choice.

Link Posted: 9/3/2005 8:08:03 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
Bet someone else get that barrel in a "new" rifle.

I bet too
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:32:49 PM EDT
[#20]
like my edited respose says the barrel I turned in was unfired by me or my decceased,via brain tumor,
brother in arms also a Jughead.

RIP  BRO
SEMPER FNG FI
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 1:35:05 PM EDT
[#21]
like my edited respose says the barrel I turned in was unfired by me or my decceased,via brain tumor,

RIP  BRO
SEMPER FNG FI

BTW its got or gets  Dr,,
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 5:23:06 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

RIP  BRO
SEMPER FNG FI

BTW its got or gets  Dr,,

what is Dr,,?
Link Posted: 9/3/2005 11:36:03 PM EDT
[#23]
How many rounds would have to pass down the barrel before you would notice the slightest bit of wear?
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top