Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 10/21/2004 8:31:33 AM EDT
Can someone help me w/ this?

The bolt would go back, eject the empty case, but then the bolt would snap back on top of the next round, resulting in either ...

1.  Bolt is complete closed, but no round is in the chamber.

2.  The bolt gets jammed on top of the next round.

From what I can see, this can be two problems.  One, the bolt isn't going back as far as it should be, perhaps the buffer tube or the spring.  Two, the "teeth" on the bolt face is worn out.  I took the bolt out last night and inspected it against my Colt (only ~200 rounds through this one), and the teeth look similar.  I cleaned the buffer assembly, it wasn't that dirty either.  Assembled it back together, lightly lubricated, and going back to the range tonight.

Does anyone have ideas or share similar experiences?  TIA.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:53:31 AM EDT
[#1]
what ammo are you using?   I've had some ammo that wouldn't operate the system and it would short stroke and do the same thing that yours is doing.   How about your mags,  does every mag fail to function?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:53:54 AM EDT
[#2]
I also checked the firing pin retention pin, FYI.

Any ideas?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:55:01 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
what ammo are you using?   I've had some ammo that wouldn't operate the system and it would short stroke and do the same thing that yours is doing.   How about your mags,  does every mag fail to function?

I've tried the BMI 10 round and 30 round and the Colt 20 round mags, all jam.

Ammo is Sportsman's Guide XM193.

TIA
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#4]
have you tried any different ammo?
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:57:15 AM EDT
[#5]
also check your carrier key,  make sure it is tight
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:35:38 AM EDT
[#6]
I might also remove the buffer/spring and make sure everything is kosher down the tube.  Something may have gotten bent, or some kind of junk down in there.

Good Luck
Doc
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:39:49 AM EDT
[#7]
One of my bushy M4s did the same thing and the carrier key was loose and believe it or not it was the last thing I tried and sure enough the key was loosing gas pressure. Just holding it and inspecting it you could not see that it was loose but it was so I tightend it up a little and re staked the screws and have never had that problem again and this was also a new gun direct from Bushmaster

Js15
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:47:08 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
One of my bushy M4s did the same thing and the carrier key was loose and believe it or not it was the last thing I tried and sure enough the key was loosing gas pressure. Just holding it and inspecting it you could not see that it was loose but it was so I tightend it up a little and re staked the screws and have never had that problem again and this was also a new gun direct from Bushmaster

Js15

Hm ... I took the entire bolt assembly out last night and inspected it.  I'll check again tonight at the range and report back.  Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 10:12:17 AM EDT
[#9]
First thing to check is the magazine catch - try tighting it one turn (you'd be surprised how often this fixes the problem).  Push the magazine release all the way in and turn the magazine catch (other side of the rifle) one full rotation clockwise.

If that doesn't work then you have to check for Short Recoil.  The procedure for diagnosing and repairing short recoil issues starts on page 3-9 of the -23&P.  This helpful manual is available for free from the Downloads section of this site.  Click on the Information button above and follow the links to where you can download TM 9-1005-319-23&P.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:42:54 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Js15

Went to the range, same thing happened.  Bam, jam, pull bolt back, cock in a new round, bam repeat.

Opened the AR at the range, reinspected the bolt ... tada!!!  Loose carrier key.  Tighted that sucker up and put the AR back together, puppy didn't jam a single round since (200+ rounds later).

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:02:50 AM EDT
[#11]
I had the same problem with my Bushy 5 years ago, when I first got it, (loose carier key), but it was my fault.  After the first firing, upon disassembly, I unscrewed the two bolts holding the gas carrier key to the carrier in order to "clean everything", and got CLP on the bolts and didn't tighten them enough.  They would come loose after about 40 rounds.  Figured it out, tightened those suckers, and haven't had a problem in thousands of rounds.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:49:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Great but you need to stake those keys to keep them from comming loose again!!!

Bob
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top