Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/29/2009 1:52:49 PM EDT
Just popped my cherry this weekend with 100 rounds of PRVI ammo at the local range. I own several handguns, shotgun, and both wife and I have a CHL. But the AR15 and rifles in general are new to us. I subscribed to this forum hoping to get some help, so bear with me. Have some questions.

1. I know the carry handle comes off and there is a picatinny rail. If I mount a holographic site to the rail (such as eotech or trijicon) will it "clear" the front sight ? What about say a 2x red dot scope ?
2. Or do I mount it to the top of the carry handle so I can still use the iron sights ? And if so do they come with a picatinny rail to mount on top of the handle ? or is that a separate part ?
3. On the plastic forward grip (forearm ?) I can see the need for rails there for my Surefire light, etc.  Any suggestions there ? A 4 rail system ? Add a rail ?
4. On 3. what is a free float system ?
5. Is there a Picatinny rail that mounts to the top of the carrying handle that extends down the barrel ? Not recommended ?

I have searched the forums but there is so much information it seems to be mind boggling, any help would be appreciated.

Texaswillie
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 2:10:44 PM EDT
[#1]

one hundred rounds later you are hooked, welcome to the club:

1. I know the carry handle comes off and there is a picatinny rail. If I mount a holographic site to the rail (such as eotech or trijicon) will it "clear" the front sight ? What about say a 2x red dot scope ?
   yes the front sight will be visible, but will not hinder your shooting.  
2. Or do I mount it to the top of the carry handle so I can still use the iron sights ? And if so do they come with a picatinny rail to mount on top of the handle ? or is that a separate part ?
   you can most certainly can mount on top of your carry handle but, you will have a lot of height over bore to deal with.  My preference is to set up your iron sights so that if you look though the iron sights you will be looking through your red dot sight (co-witness). flip them up you are co-witnessed, put them down red dot only.
3. On the plastic forward grip (forearm ?) I can see the need for rails there for my Surefire light, etc.  Any suggestions there ? A 4 rail system ? Add a rail ?
   ether way, you can add rails onto you current hand graurds or you can replace the current hand guards with railed hand guards.  surf around here and find a set up you like and will fit your needs: there are a million options literally... a million.
   free float means that the hand guards don't touch the barrel or only touch the barrel in one place, this is intended to increase the accuracy.
5. Is there a Picatinny rail that mounts to the top of the carrying handle that extends down the barrel ? Not recommended ?
   again that is one of the million options, you will most likely be happier with a replacement 4 railed hand guard.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:17:03 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Just popped my cherry this weekend with 100 rounds of PRVI ammo at the local range. I own several handguns, shotgun, and both wife and I have a CHL. But the AR15 and rifles in general are new to us. I subscribed to this forum hoping to get some help, so bear with me. Have some questions.

I have searched the forums but there is so much information it seems to be mind boggling, any help would be appreciated.

Texaswillie

Congrats on the new rig. I also have a Bushy and she has been good to me so far. As far a s your questions go......
1. I have an Eotech and an Aimpoint. I prefer the Aimpoint but have both of the sights set up to have a lower 1/3rd co-witness which basically leaves the iron sights in the lower 1/3rd of the sight. LaRue tactical has good deals on the optics already set up in a mount.
2. They make a rail for the top of the handle but I wouldnt use it. Just remove your handle and put an optic and a BUIS on it. I cant see having the optic on top of the handle being very comfortable.
3. Buy a Daniel Defense Omega rail. It is a free float that installs in like 2min. No need to diassemble any of the weapon.
4. The rail floats. It doesnt touch the barrel for acuracy purposes.
5. Not sure what ya mean but the Omega rail makes the top rail continuous. The rail on the top is the same height as the reciever with the carry handle remover.

Good luck with your build.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:17:33 PM EDT
[#3]
The item you refer to in #5 is a gooseneck mount.  I would concur and say that you'll be happier with a railed handguard.  

If you plan on mounting optics, ditch the carrying handle and get a BUIS (I'd recommend Troy, LMT, Larue, KAC or an ARMS40L).  There's no benefit to using the carrying handle as a mount for your mount.  You can also chop your carrying handle down into a fixed BUIS as well.  

As far as handguards, I'd recommend KAC for a drop in, DD Omega for a drop in free float, or Larue for a solid free float with a little more effort on the install.  

Like Fastmover said, there are a million options out there...  check out the picture threads to get some ideas.

Welcome to the board.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 3:31:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I had a AR carbine with a EOtech mounted the first 15-20 min I nioticed the front sight but after awhile I shot the remainder of my shoot without noticing the front sight. It did not hinder my shooting at all. If you decide to get the EOtech you might notice the fuzziness of thr reticle that has diminished after shooting with it. To me the EOtech was the bomb, I got pretty fast with first shot aquisition.
Link Posted: 3/29/2009 4:26:28 PM EDT
[#5]
I am going to recommend you go with a 4 railed replacement hand guard.

As noted earlier, there are all kinds of choices.  You can go shopping on-line at most of the ad links running across the top of this page.

Welcome to the disease.

Link Posted: 3/29/2009 6:04:02 PM EDT
[#6]
So many options to choose. Don't jump at the first thing that strikes your fancy. Go slowly and examine the variety. If this is your first AR (and it won't be your last) consider one KISS and one to trick-out. Whatever you choose remember ammo, mags, ammo, mags....  Enjoy.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top