Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/12/2010 5:29:52 PM EDT
Bear with me because I know that I do not know what I'm talking about.

The new Bushmaster does not use standard AK-47 magazines because the way the magazines snap into the frame of the gun differs considerably between the AR-15 and the AK-47. So the Bushmaster has to use it's own magazines. An AR-15 could be modified to use AK-47 magazines, and that has been done by at least one company, but this isn't a popular approach. Why?

The 223 bolt can be opened up to fire the larger base 7.62x39, and at least one company has done that, but the bolts break after only a couple of thousand rounds. So the Bushmaster, like the Colt before it, has a larger diameter bolt. Right?

Has anyone shot one of these Bushmaster's yet and if so what did you think of it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 5:57:39 PM EDT
The Bushmaster 7.62x39 is a great rifle. Not quite sure about opening the bolt and modifying mags as you're talking about. Just buy the upper, slap it on your lower and buy a few 7.62x39 mags and go at it. The AR platform can accommodate many different calibers, each has a specific barrel, BCG and mags.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 6:12:24 PM EDT
Originally Posted By klw:
Bear with me because I know that I do not know what I'm talking about.

The new Bushmaster does not use standard AK-47 magazines because the way the magazines snap into the frame of the gun differs considerably between the AR-15 and the AK-47. So the Bushmaster has to use it's own magazines. An AR-15 could be modified to use AK-47 magazines, and that has been done by at least one company, but this isn't a popular approach. Why?

The 223 bolt can be opened up to fire the larger base 7.62x39, and at least one company has done that, but the bolts break after only a couple of thousand rounds. So the Bushmaster, like the Colt before it, has a larger diameter bolt. Right?

Has anyone shot one of these Bushmaster's yet and if so what did you think of it?

Yes, The bolt on the 7.62 x 39 uppers is a little different. (same bolt carrier though) They do NOT break after only a couple thousand rounds (at least my Colt bolt in 7.62 x 39 did not - can't say about bushmaster bolts...)

There is NO NEED to screw up a perfectly good lower to fire 7.62 x 39 ammo. Many different other ways you can go with respect to magazines that do NOT involve messing with the lower.

First - You CAN use regular USGI M-16 mags to fire your 7.62 ammo in (yeah, they will fit). So long as you do not try to stuff more than 5 or 6 rounds in the magazine, you will be just fine and have no issues. If you try to load more than that, you WILL have issues. The 7.62 rounds need more magazine curvature than the 5.56 ammo requires when you get more than 5 or 6 rounds in there.

Second - They make aftermarket magazines that are pretty much just a regular USGI M-16 magazine top half (the part that goes into the magwell) that has the bottom cut off and then has the lower section of a regular AK magazine welded in place... Those work great and are cheap... That is the way to go if you just got to have a 30 round magazine IMHO.

Lastly - Unless you are reloading or buying some premium 7.62 x 39 ammo to shoot with, You are better off just buying an AK to plink with... Cheap russian surplus ammo is going to shoot like cheap russian surplus ammo. Accuracy is not going to be that great. You can have great accuracy if you reload or buy good ammo.

I sold the Colt 7.62 x 39 upper I had long ago and bought an AK... You will save money if you just buy the AK now and skip on the 7.62 upper for your AR. (unless you are looking for accuracy that you just can't get from an AK)

Top Top