Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 9/21/2004 8:00:59 PM EST
I somewhat new to the AR world.

Are Bushmaster's 40 rounders good mags, I dont see many people talking about them or using them?

Why or why not?
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:06:05 AM EST
I think they are made by USA. Usually not to reliable....I had some that worked ok for a Mini-14, but for the AR, the USGI's are hard to beat.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 5:26:50 AM EST
C R A P
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 6:45:17 AM EST
Total crap, I ordered 1 and never was able to make it even work...... Generally speaking though, I have never heard anything good about 40 round magazines for any type of gun for that matter. Even AK's....
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 9:08:26 AM EST
I have had GREAT luck with the 40rd mags.

The ones I have (no, they are not sterling) work fine even on full-auto.

Video of AR-15, Lightning Link & 40rd magazine
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 10:25:35 AM EST
i want to try one... i wonder if its possible to put a magpul follower in it...
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 12:29:40 PM EST
Why would bushmaster sell them on their website if they dont work?

Surely not to make a $$$.

Has anybody else had any bad or good experiences with the 40 rounders?

FYI. I have a Mak90 and all I have is 40 rounders for it, fully ribbed, and have never had a problem with them, couple thousand rounds fired through the magazines too.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 2:49:06 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/22/2004 2:51:02 PM EST by GoGo]

Originally Posted By MST2:
Why would bushmaster sell them on their website if they dont work?

Surely not to make a $$$.

Has anybody else had any bad or good experiences with the 40 rounders?

FYI. I have a Mak90 and all I have is 40 rounders for it, fully ribbed, and have never had a problem with them, couple thousand rounds fired through the magazines too.

AR mags and AK mags are akin to oil and water. You can make an AK mag out of play-doh, let it dry and be good to go. AR mags, unfortunately, are a little trickier. The only real reliable 40's for the AR in my book are the Sterlings (big bux- yes I have some). I have had every other brand of 40 and they either don't fit into the magwell, or FTF.

Edited to say- "FTF" before any work with a vise or pliers, but to have to "rework" a mag to get it to function is just plain silly IMHO.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:04:18 PM EST

Originally Posted By SC-Texas:
I have had GREAT luck with the 40rd mags.

The ones I have (no, they are not sterling) work fine even on full-auto.

Video of AR-15, Lightning Link & 40rd magazine

Why is it that we are getting conflicting information, some say they work great, others say they dont work.

I am new to AR15's and I am just trying to get to the bottom of this 40 round magazine question.

Surely there must somebody who has a wealth of information on them on this message board.

IMO it is better the less I have to reload, that is what is so appealing about the 40 rounders to me.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 3:45:15 PM EST
[Last Edit: 9/22/2004 4:02:52 PM EST by Mak]
They aren't USGI, you say you are new to the AR world so it is best to take the advice you get here from the people that are not new and get yourself some 30 rounders that will work. Tapco has a waiting list on new 30rd mags. CMMG has newly manufactured 20 and 30 rd mags which are reasonably priced and brand new. I have 2 40 rd mags someone gave me and I have never seen the need to use them.

I could probably sell & send them to you in AK for less than you would get them from Bushmaster I/M me if you are interested and I'll see if I can find them and still have them or not.
Link Posted: 9/22/2004 4:22:02 PM EST

Originally Posted By MST2:
Why is it that we are getting conflicting information, some say they work great, others say they dont work.

IMO it is better the less I have to reload, that is what is so appealing about the 40 rounders to me.

For going in harms waym, I generally use my USGI mags. However, the 40s I have work great.

The PROBLEM is that No one knows which ones work and which don]t. I have put over a thousand rounds through these 40s to prove that they work.

Will you be lucky if you buy one? Who knows. That is why you should start out buying 30rd USGI mags, singapore or British SA-80 mags. They will work. Its not a matter of if.
Top Top