Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 11/11/2003 8:34:43 AM EDT
I purchased a new 25th anniversary carbine a few weeks ago. I was originally going to get the Varmiter but my dealer had this on the wall and it just looked sooo good that I had to have it. Now I dont know if I did the right thing. I havent fired it yet but I wanted something to chase yotes with. I probably should have bought the varmiter. What do you think, should I use this, Its going to get pretty scratched up out in the sage brush, or should I just try and get a varmiter.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:49:14 AM EDT
[#1]
A rifle with commemorative engravings and gold-plated parts is meant to be more of a showpiece than a tool.  There was another thread around here the other day about that very same rifle.  The guy wanted to know if he should shoot the thing or hang on to it as an investment.  Several good arguments were made about commemorative firearms being a poor choice as an investment.  The fact is they just don’t hold their value.

Just me, but I don’t buy firearms for show.  I buy tools.  That rifle should be fine in certain hunting conditions and may be lacking in others.  Use it within it’s limitations and you’ll be fine.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 8:53:25 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 9:16:50 AM EDT
[#3]
When I'll get mine, i'll be strictly a show gun...I could never get myself to shoot it.
But thats just me.

IMO, Get the varminter as well. You can NEVER have too many ARs!
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 9:27:34 AM EDT
[#4]
Since the Varminter would be more suited for what you'll be doing I say try and trade it, it would kind of be a shame to scratch it up, and if I had one myself I would feel guilty shooting it.

Never too many AR's for sure, it just all depends. The 25th will be a good deal lighter if you would want to use irons for the coyotes...
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:12:01 AM EDT
[#5]
I dont own any guns that are for investments, I buy them to use them. I just dont want to ruin something that is a limited run item and may have meaning to someone who really collects these. It just looked so cool on the wall. I have no doubt that it would work for what I would use it for. Next time I go into the gun shop for something I am going to wear blinders so this doesnt happen again.
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:22:48 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:27:15 AM EDT
[#7]
This reminds me of the guy who walked in and order the anniversary edition Harley. When it came in he wanted no oil in the engine, no battery, and no gas. It was going into storage.

What an ass. Buy a 25000 motorcycle and throw a tarp over it and put it in the garage.

More money than good sense.

Link Posted: 11/11/2003 10:33:50 AM EDT
[#8]
 No I have not seen that video, I hear that its pretty good. Ill have to get ahold of a copy and check it out.
I could never own a gun to just let it sit in the safe, thats why I was curious as to what peoples feelings were here. If I keep it I will use it and it will get beat up alittle. I do take care of all my firearms but its a hard life in the sage brush.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top