Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/8/2006 9:45:02 PM EDT
I was wondering if anyone knows how many parts are made by Bushmaster for their own rifles?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 12:29:40 AM EDT
[#1]

Invisiblesoul
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 3:27:45 AM EDT
[#2]
good question

I am interested in knowing that. (suffice it to say, it will be a lot less than 87 )

Many AR "manufacturers" are actually assemblers, and marketing companies

If we are talking actually starting from scratch and forging metals into parts, machining small parts etc. - I would imagine there are very few - at Bushmaster or most others.

May want to post a copy of this question in the Bushmaster Forum on this board, as they are pretty good about weighing in.

Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:23:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Those "87" responses are getting really fucking annoying,it is almost expected in GD..but a forum that is supposed to have serious answers to serious questions,posting 87 seems kinda stupid..
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:43:14 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Those "87" responses are getting really fucking annoying,it is almost expected in GD..but a forum that is supposed to have serious answers to serious questions,posting 87 seems kinda stupid..

Yeah it is, but what is the meaning behind it anyways?
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 5:12:29 AM EDT
[#5]
There need to be a lot more probations/bans implemented to help counter all the no-content responses.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 9:26:58 AM EDT
[#6]
Its Crazy
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:05:52 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
good question

I am interested in knowing that. (suffice it to say, it will be a lot less than 87 )

Many AR "manufacturers" are actually assemblers, and marketing companies

If we are talking actually starting from scratch and forging metals into parts, machining small parts etc. - I would imagine there are very few - at Bushmaster or most others.

redfisher is right...   Though it gets a little "cloudy" given your definition of "made by".  

In many cases it makes sense for them to NOT make the part.  Barrels come to mind first.  Why do it yourself, when they can buy from Wilson, etc.  Some, however, will buy the blank and finish/chamber it themselves.

The same goes for uppers and lowers.  Some sub the whole upper or lower out, some buy them "in the white" and do the machining to their own specs.  This allows them to skip the acutal forging stage but still gives them most of the quality control.

Somewhere in between are lower parts kits.  Many buy the components in bulk from someone doing LOTS of them and either assemble or repackage for retail sale.

Plastic molding is another example of where the economies of scale make it a reasonable prospect to simply buy from the OEM.

All of this is precluded by the quality control that is either in place at the OEM, or in the pre-assembly inspection of the incoming parts.

If all the "manufacturers" made all their own parts, an AR would be much more expensive.

ETA:  pantera, you'll find that you get a better response to your questions if you're a bit more specific in the subject of your post.  This also allows for searching later.  ie: "Does Bushmaster make their own parts?"  or "Which companies make their own parts".
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:23:37 AM EDT
[#8]
Lets please retire the 87 bit.  It is really getting old...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:30:06 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

and the Chuck Norris crap
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:42:15 AM EDT
[#10]
I strongly caution you to reconsider your remarks.  Rumor has it that even the Boogie Man checks his closet for Chuck Norris before he goes to bed.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 10:53:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I just glanced at the Schematic for the Bushmaster M4A3 Carbine and I counted 119 parts give or take.... No telling how many are BM made. I would think a good portion at least.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 11:24:59 AM EDT
[#12]
Most of bushmasters parts includeing there lower and uppers are made by outside vendors. I am not sure who makes there barrels. (some quite nice ones for 1/9). Even Colt ousource most of the parts to Co. approved vendors. Allways wanted to get a list of the big guys Colt, RRA, Bushie and see who has what made by Whom. might be kind of supriseing.
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:27:08 PM EDT
[#13]
So is it a big secret who Bushmaster outsources to for their parts ? Like a trade secret or something ?I am kind of curious about this..

For instance,I see CMT/Stag parts advertised as "CMT makes parts for one/some of the major names",now the dealers don't actually come out and say:

"CMT makes upper recievers for Colt",but it seems it's implied.

Dealers won't say the above,so I am guessing it is some sort of closely guarded secret as to who Bushy and Colt contract to for parts.

Just guessing here folks...
Link Posted: 3/9/2006 4:52:35 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

and the Chuck Norris crap

What do you mean "Getting"?  Fienswine is younger.

PS: Bushmaster makes their own barrels.
Page AR-15 » AR Discussions
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top