Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/2/2002 11:36:29 AM EDT
I want a red dot for a flat-top.

Aimpoint costs $350 and requires expensive mount systems. Comes out about $500+ all in.

I can get a Burris Speed Dot for about $170 inc mounts.

Performance seems about the same on paper

What would I be losing out on by going with the Burris (undoubtedly a good brand of scope) ?
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#1]
no takers ?
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:32:41 PM EDT
[#2]
These are not in the same category, other that both being "red dot".

PS. Aimpoint makes a gooseneck for carry handle mount that goes for $50.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 5:49:29 PM EDT
[#3]
Hey Nylon, I just bought the Speed-Dot for my AK.  It's a very good sight, but it's not a military grade optic.  If it's for a range queen, performance will be on par.

You'd be giving up a bunch of "Cool Points", but the Burris will undoubtedly do anything you need it to.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:30:01 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the input fellas. I may just grit my teeth and run with the Aimpoint. I'm hearing good things about the US EOTech 55x products. may be worth a look too.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:41:14 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
You'd be giving up a bunch of "Cool Points", but the Burris will undoubtedly do anything you need it to.

That is entirely dependant on what you need from your optics. Some folks want, and in fact need much more than the Burris can deliver. But you're right, others who require much less may not know the difference.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 8:55:59 PM EDT
[#6]
The Burris works under range conditions.  The Aimpoint works under any conditions.
Link Posted: 11/10/2002 10:15:56 PM EDT
[#7]
An excellent description imposter, very well done!
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 1:55:18 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That is entirely dependant on what you need from your optics. Some folks want, and in fact need much more than the Burris can deliver. But you're right, others who require much less may not know the difference.

Please don't take what I said about the Burris Speed-Dot out of context:

"It's a very good sight, but it's not a military grade optic. If it's for a range queen, performance will be on par."

Nylon is looking to get into dot sights.  We all know the reputation of the Aimpoint.  I use the M or M2 on my AR's.  But, I don't think anyone on this sight is jumping out of airplanes or kicking in doors with his personal gear(okay, maybe a few of you ), which makes the majority "Range Queens".  The Burris, Tasco, Ultra-Dot, etc.,  will do anything the Aimpoint will do in that arena, and at half the price makes good sense to some folks.

If you have the coin, I would highly recommend the Aimpoint, but it's probably not a "must have" for your intended use.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 4:56:01 AM EDT
[#9]
I agree, not everyone may need the advantages of an Aimpoint, and it seems we all agree it is clearly the better site. However, although the only use my ARs ever see is at the range, they are not range queens. I hope none of my ARs ever have to be shot anywhere else other than the range, that will simply mean I am safe and things havent gotten out of hand. However, I try to build each of my ARs so that they could be used outside of the range. I think many of us are in the same boat. I think its a smart boat to be in. If someone else is looking to get in that boat, buy the Aimpoint right off the bat. But I competely agree, if you would not use your AR for anything other than range work, Burris may serve you well.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 6:41:28 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
However, I try to build each of my ARs so that they could be used outside of the range. I think many of us are in the same boat. I think its a smart boat to be in. If someone else is looking to get in that boat, buy the Aimpoint right off the bat. But I competely agree, if you would not use your AR for anything other than range work, Burris may serve you well.

Amen, I say, amen.

I'm sure that there are people out there who had to drag their 'range queens' out during natural disasters to defend themselves and their properties. There are many situations where it can happen, and I'm a big proponent of the idea of 'I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it'.

Then there's the simple fact that 'shit happens', and I'd much rather have an Aimpoint mounted for that time I get a sneezing fit and chuck my AR to the ground...optics first.
Link Posted: 11/11/2002 8:11:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Better to have... and not need,
Than to need..and not have
AKA  Be Prepared & Remember Murphy
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top