Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 11/1/2006 8:56:08 AM EDT
I need to sight in my new burris fullfield II scope and both the windage and elevation knob say U/R, can someone tell me which one is up/down and left/right before i go out and waste all my ammo trying to figure it out????
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:06:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Set the scope on your rifle with one knob facing up and the other to the right.

The one on top is elevation, the one on the right is windage.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:08:15 AM EDT
[#2]
no, BOTH of the knobs BOTH say U/R.  I dont get it.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:47:30 AM EDT
[#3]
Should have arrows? U with the vertical adj. knob should be up if you turn WITH the arrow. R with the side adjustment knob should move your impact point to the right/ turning with the arrow. Of course against the arrow will be DOWN and LEFT.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 11:08:08 AM EDT
[#4]
First thing is Relax. Someone made a mistake in final assembly and no one noticed it before it was boxed.

Contact Burris and they'll send you the correct windage screw scale.

Adjustment screws work the in the same way as regular screws. Counter-clockwise pulls the screw away from the erector tube and clockwise moves the screw deeper into the tube body.

Up is counter-clockwise.
Right is counter-clockwise.

Down is clockwise.
Left is clockwise.

Follow JER's instructions on the placement of the scope.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 2:58:41 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
First thing is Relax. Someone made a mistake in final assembly and no one noticed it before it was boxed.

Contact Burris and they'll send you the correct windage screw scale.

Adjustment screws work the in the same way as regular screws. Counter-clockwise pulls the screw away from the erector tube and clockwise moves the screw deeper into the tube body.

Up is counter-clockwise.
Right is counter-clockwise.

Down is clockwise.
Left is clockwise.

Follow JER's instructions on the placement of the scope.

My new scope is set up the same way. Just do it the way the above poster had said.
Link Posted: 11/1/2006 9:04:41 PM EDT
[#6]

no, BOTH of the knobs BOTH say U/R. I dont get it.

If your scope has regular PLEX crosshairs, it doesn't matter how to mount it (one knob would be allways up and another one at left or right). If you are right-handed, mount it with one knob facing to the right, the U/R is R (Right) now, and for the vertical one - U (Up). If you are left-handed, mount it with one knob facing to the left, the U/R is still R, and for the vertical one - still U. This way, one scope covers both mounting situations and marked as such.

If scope has Ballistic PLEX crosshairs, it must be mounted with one knob facing to the right and in this case it will not be marked U/R.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 1:23:11 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

no, BOTH of the knobs BOTH say U/R. I dont get it.

If your scope has regular PLEX crosshairs, it doesn't matter how to mount it (one knob would be allways up and another one at left or right). If you are right-handed, mount it with one knob facing to the right, the U/R is R (Right) now, and for the vertical one - U (Up). If you are left-handed, mount it with one knob facing to the left, the U/R is still R, and for the vertical one - still U. This way, one scope covers both mounting situations and marked as such.

If scope has Ballistic PLEX crosshairs, it must be mounted with one knob facing to the right and in this case it will not be marked U/R.

Also to add. If your scope has the German 3P#4 reticle, one knob has to face to the right.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 6:00:48 AM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

No, not a mistake...  Simple economics.  They use the same elevation dial for both the elevation and windage.  It's marked U/R meaning UP or Right.  That means "if you turn THIS way, then you will correct your point of aim UP or RIGHT depending on which dial you're using".

So if you're adjusting windage (the one on the side) then U/R means "Right, this way"  If you're using elevation, U/R means "Up, this way".
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 7:45:24 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No, not a mistake...  Simple economics.  They use the same elevation dial for both the elevation and windage.  It's marked U/R meaning UP or Right.  That means "if you turn THIS way, then you will correct your point of aim UP or RIGHT depending on which dial you're using".

So if you're adjusting windage (the one on the side) then U/R means "Right, this way"  If you're using elevation, U/R means "Up, this way".

Thanks, Onslaught, for the clarification. I'm thinking about this like crazy, and maybe it's geared more towards the fact that no assembler can now make a mistake with only one part to pull from the parts bin.
Thanks again.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:40:27 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
no, BOTH of the knobs BOTH say U/R.  I dont get it.

You're on your own, then.
Link Posted: 11/2/2006 8:41:35 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Nope, my Burris is the same way.  They use the same knob on both turrets.  It's no big deal, but one has to have a basic understanding of how scopes work to make sense of it.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top