Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 8/28/2005 11:19:28 PM EDT
Want to take my Sightron SII Tactical 4x16 mil-dot off my 6.8 SPC and put it on my 22-250. Would like to go with something like a 3x9, 3/3.5/4x10 or  4.5x14 for the 6.8. Want preferably a ballistic mil-dot (Burris) or mil-dot . A ballistic plex would be a second choice in a burris.

However my biggest concern is optics clarity and accurate/repeatable click adjustments. I have three tactical model Sightrons. The optics are very good and the clicks on these are very accurate and repeatable. I do not want to sacrifice either of these characteristics.

Nikon 's Buckmaster has a side focus mil-dot which interests me but am concerned about the above characteristics being met. Then there is the Monarch series. I have never looked thru a Nikon or used one.

Burris has the Ballistic mil-dot or the ballistic plex in the Fullfield II and the Signature Select. Would prefer the Ballistic mil-dot. I have looked thru Burris scopes but never used one so don't know about the click factor. The optics are clear enough at least on the ones I have looked thru.

Would really appreciate comments and suggestions from those with experience with either brand and especially those that have experience with both brands. Uses would be from paper to hunting.

Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:48:54 AM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:56:36 AM EDT
[#2]
I currently have a Burris Fullfield II 3x9 w/ ballistic plex on one of my 20" AR's...  It is a great scope, clear enough, good eye relief, and the adjustments are very precise...

With that said, It isn't as nice as my S2 mil dot.  Why not go for another S2?

- AG
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:08:12 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I currently have a Burris Fullfield II 3x9 w/ ballistic plex on one of my 20" AR's...  It is a great scope, clear enough, good eye relief, and the adjustments are very precise...

With that said, It isn't as nice as my S2 mil dot.  Why not go for another S2?

- AG

Glad to see that someone else likes Sightron. They are really nice scopes. Getting another one is still a consideration. Just thought I would like to try something else.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:17:45 AM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Hi river_rat,
The Burris are really nice scopes so are Nikon for their price.  The Ballistic drop in the ret. of the Burris is for a 3006 and you have to adjust for the hold off for given round you are shooting.  The Ballistic drop is more of a guide it is better than nothing.

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

Here’s some testimonials about CS GunWorks for AR15 Board
What do YOU have to say about CS GunWorks

With the ballistics that I am looking at the range lines should be within 3-4 inches out at 300 yds. Which is close enough for most situations. Depending on the power of scope the hold-off from the range bars would be minimal. Like you said it is better than guessing. With Ball. mil-dot quick rough ranging would also be possible and aiming would be quicker than having to figure the hold-off in mils.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 5:58:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 7:05:40 PM EDT
[#6]
I have had both scopes in question.  Glass is good on both.  On a scale of 1-10 I give both an equal 7-8 when compared to higher end scopes such as my Nikon tactical.  Adjustments on the Buckmaster are tight and precise but the Burris I had was a little mushy. My Burris was a FFII, the signatures may be better.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 8:53:45 PM EDT
[#7]
Rat,

I have used several of each brand, and I tend to like the Nikon's better.  My biggest complaint with the Burris' that I have owned are not lack of clearity or repeatability, but the actual marks on the turret.  My Monarch's are very clearly marked with numbers and are easily adjustable (you can zero the load, then zero the dial).  My Burris scopes do not have any numbers or the ability to reset the turret.  Perhaps the newer models allow for this, but I looked at a higher end Burris a few months ago at Sportsman Warehouse, and it was the same.  I have one Burris pistol scope that actaully has the paint coming off of the dial ticks.  Doesn't affect the scopes ability, just my ability to keep track of where I am at.  Best bet is to put your mits on each one, before deciding.  Comparing them side by side in a store is invaluable.  I do not worry so much about trying to guage clarity in a shop, but I like to see all of the other "stuff", side by side.

Craig
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 9:08:00 PM EDT
[#8]
Well, I have both scopes.. Nikon monarch 4-12, and a Burris Fullfield 2  3-9.  For the money, I would have to say these are the best two I have owned, and as good as my Leopold vx2.  Both great as far as function and dependability.  However, as mentioned above, the Monarch dials in a bit easier and I would have to recommend it for the AR... Also, they back their products really well.  Also, got both of mine at Cabelas.  

Good luck
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:09:29 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Hi river_rat,
The Burris are really nice scopes so are Nikon for their price.  The Ballistic drop in the ret. of the Burris is for a 3006 and you have to adjust for the hold off for given round you are shooting.  The Ballistic drop is more of a guide it is better than nothing.

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

With the ballistics that I am looking at the range lines should be within 3-4 inches out at 300 yds. Which is close enough for most situations. Depending on the power of scope the hold-off from the range bars would be minimal. Like you said it is better than guessing. With Ball. mil-dot quick rough ranging would also be possible and aiming would be quicker than having to figure the hold-off in mils.

If need help get a scope just let me know and I will to what I can!

Mike @ CSGW

www.csgunworks.com
[email protected]

Thanks for the offer I will keep you in mind. Want to research a bit more before I decide.
Link Posted: 8/29/2005 10:38:41 PM EDT
[#10]
LordandMaster. Bearbait1 & Slider713

Thanks for the replies. I looked at a friends Burris Fullfield II that was purchased about a year ago. You are correct about the lack of numbers, resettable zero and the mushy feel of the clicks. He had it in between guns so I was able to play with it some. Glass seems good tho'. Hopefully someone will have some input about the Signature Select series.

I am glad to hear that the Buckmaster has solid repeatable clicks. They have come out with a side focus  on the Buckmaster at a pretty cheap price. Have been wanting to try a side focus madel and most are a bit more than I really want to pay right now. However $400- $500 is not out of the question if it is what I want in a scope. There is also a Monarch UCC  3.3x10 that I am interested in.

I have bought cheap scopes in the past and I am sick and tired of clicks that do not work as they are supposed to work. After buying my first Sightron I was sold on the repeatability and glass quality. Eventually I hope to replace all my scopes with better quality than most have now.

If others have comments on models please feel free to chime in.
Link Posted: 8/30/2005 3:08:04 AM EDT
[#11]
Here is my RRA with Nikon buckmasters 3x9.I like the optics on the nikon.
glocktalk.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=425844
Link Posted: 9/1/2005 9:15:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Anyone have more that they can add? Do the Buckmaster's have a resettable dial? Anyone have a new model Buckmaster 4.5x14 side focus? Are the turrets  numbered and re-settable for zero?

Does anyone know if the Burris Signature Selects have numbered and re-settable turrets?

If you know please answer?
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top