BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Posted: 5/13/2005 11:58:39 AM EDT
Just opened it.  I have not mounted it yet and probably will not get to the range until Sunday.  

First impressions.  I like it alot!  It seems well made and I like the brightness setting dial on the left side of the tube.  It definately seems robust enough and the brightest setting seems like it would be bright enough for any environment.  

I know alot of people shrug it off because of the "Xtreme" name but you can call it whatever you want as long as it works.  

I'll post some pics after I get it mounted.

Link Posted: 5/13/2005 2:52:22 PM EDT
[#1]
Tagged for pics.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 3:47:29 PM EDT
[#2]
Let us know how it works out. I think it has potential but look forward to reading some reveiws.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 3:51:34 PM EDT
[#3]
Another Aimpoint copy?

Link Posted: 5/13/2005 3:54:29 PM EDT
[#4]
Pretty far off from an Aimpoint copy dont ya think? Just because its builds on a 30mm tube and its short makes it a copy? The illumination knob is totaly different and the shape really is different looking then the Aimpoint...
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 3:54:51 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Another Aimpoint copy?

www.burrisoptics.com/images/tacticalspeeddot.gif

Actually.  Now that I have one in hand, the only thing that resembles the Aimpoint are the lens caps and the piece of rubber that holds the windage and elevation knobs on.  Nothing else resembles the Aimpoint
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 3:58:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 4:00:39 PM EDT
[#7]
I don't care if it is a copy or not, I still like it.....
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 4:08:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Finally, someone has one for evaluation.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 4:26:14 PM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 5:16:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 5:17:19 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Another Aimpoint copy?

Ummmmm....help me out here - in a free market system how do I loose again?

I dig it - I hope it is every freeeking bit as good for a stupidly low price point.

Take care
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 5:21:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 5:46:48 PM EDT
[#13]
OK.  I can't for the life of me understand why this thread turned into another fucking Aimpoint  reverance thread.  In no way did I ever say I was buying this in place of nor was I even comparing it to an Aimpoint

I know there was alot of interest in this red dot.  I was going to wait until someone bought and reviewed one but I have had great success with Burris in the past so I thought i could pass on some information for those that were waiting like me.  I have relied heavily on the reviews that others have posted when I purchased stuff in the past and I was hoping I could return the favor.

Now, I think it would be best to just keep my mouth shut.  Apparantly, my optics selection doesn't measure up because I don't plan on going deep sea diving with it nor do I plan on running it over with my truck.  

Link Posted: 5/13/2005 5:51:13 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 6:01:10 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
OK.  I can't for the life of me understand why this thread turned into another fucking Aimpoint  reverance thread.  In no way did I ever say I was buying this in place of nor was I even comparing it to an Aimpoint

I know there was alot of interest in this red dot.  I was going to wait until someone bought and reviewed one but I have had great success with Burris in the past so I thought i could pass on some information for those that were waiting like me.  I have relied heavily on the reviews that others have posted when I purchased stuff in the past and I was hoping I could return the favor.

Now, I think it would be best to just keep my mouth shut.  Apparantly, my optics selection doesn't measure up because I don't plan on going deep sea diving with it nor do I plan on running it over with my truck.  

I appreciate your doing a review!

I think alot of people would like a well made, less expensive red dot optic.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 6:07:06 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Competition is a good thing but keep in mind that these dot optics will not touch Aimpoints run time or submergence levels (nor their reliability). This is why they are hundreds less than Aimpoint. Want the best? Gotta pay for it.....

I've had two Aimpoint rheostats fail and have a friend who's new Comp M2 rheostat failed after about two weeks. I've got another friend who's EoTech 552 died when he really needed it. I've seen $50,000 avionics parts take a dump. That said, I agree that the Burris probably won't be as reliable as an Aimpoint but any electrical item is subject to failure.  That's why we have BUIS. I consider irons to be primary because of this.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 6:11:10 PM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Because some folks who spend the $$$ on "name" optics have to run everything else down to justify their expenditure. Now Burris comes along, offers a "name" optic at half the price, you get the point. Thanks for posting your thoughts, I'd like to hear more of them as you get a little time on your new toy.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 7:19:00 PM EDT
[#18]
Its not an Aimpoint? Thank God you told me, I almost bought one thinking it was. Whew!

In case you are not sure, it isn't a piano either.  Neither is it a throw pillow. And, lest you are confused, be sure you don't mistake it for a hippopotamus.
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 7:24:32 PM EDT
[#19]
Huh?
Link Posted: 5/13/2005 10:47:14 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Another Aimpoint copy?

Ummmmm....help me out here - in a free market system how do I loose again?

I dig it - I hope it is every freeeking bit as good for a stupidly low price point.

Take care

Competition is a good thing but keep in mind that these dot optics will not touch Aimpoints run time or submergence levels (nor their reliability). This is why they are hundreds less than Aimpoint. Want the best? Gotta pay for it.....

C4

Runtime? No way. Submergence level? Nope. Reliability? Now, THAT remains to be seen.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 3:21:19 AM EDT
[#21]
Really don't give a rats ass about aimpoint in this discussion, I would like to hear first hand what the Speeddot can or cannot do based on its own merits from someone who actually has one. This is the real point of this thread.

Joe
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 3:29:52 AM EDT
[#22]
so what is the cost of this unit
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 3:34:46 AM EDT
[#23]
avengeusa :
From what I have seen it is right at $200.00 street price. Midway USA, and Midsouth list them on-line, check them out.

Joe
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 6:18:50 AM EDT
[#24]
I also would like to see a review of this red dot and see how it compares to
the SPOT

Always good to have viable options..

thanks
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 7:22:44 AM EDT
[#25]
I don't give a rats ass about Aimpoint in this thread. I came here to hear about the Burris. Bring on the review. There are some of us out here who don't need an Aimpoint and don't want to hear about them everywhere.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 8:49:49 AM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
I don't give a rats ass about Aimpoint in this thread. I came here to hear about the Burris. Bring on the review. There are some of us out here who don't need an Aimpoint and don't want to hear about them everywhere.

Ditto!!!  Some of us want a review, not an advertisment for Aimpoint. I hope the staff can see that this place has turned into a goatscrew.
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 11:00:54 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Got bad news for ya. The Burris appears to be the same as the SPOT, but for more money.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=235860

C4

The Burris is 3MOA and the SPOT is 4MOA, or am I missing something?
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 1:25:03 PM EDT
[#28]
sydney7629 :
Hope the way this started out about the Aimpoint has not stopped your report on the Speeddot. I am sure there are many of us who would like very much to hear your impressions. So please feel free to fill us in.

Joe
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 3:24:08 PM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 5/14/2005 7:48:50 PM EDT
[#30]
The Burris is waterproof. The SPOT is not according to RB Precision and MSP. Thats a big difference in my opinion. In my neck of the woods if its not raining and foggy while hunting somethings wrong.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 12:09:08 PM EDT
[#31]
My buddy decided to model for ya

Link Posted: 5/15/2005 12:47:27 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:
My buddy decided to model for ya

pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL752/3145921/6403888/96718500.jpg

pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL752/3145921/6403888/96718520.jpg

pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL752/3145921/6403888/96718533.jpg

pic4.picturetrail.com/VOL752/3145921/6403888/96718542.jpg

Nice pics of your rig and really nice pooch there.  That's one good looking dog.

Just curious, what mount is that?  
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 1:50:20 PM EDT
[#33]
it's a QRP mount.

It's interesting how they mounted the rubber cap keepers since there isn't the rubular battery compartment like another has- is that attached to the rear flip up or what?
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 1:54:03 PM EDT
[#34]

Quoted:
it's a QRP mount.

It's interesting how they mounted the rubber cap keepers since there isn't the rubular battery compartment like another has- is that attached to the rear flip up or what?

The rubber goes around the tube of the sight and sits behind the lens cap
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 4:47:48 PM EDT
[#35]
I just got the Speeddot 135. Seemed like it did the same thing and was $50 cheaper.
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:09:49 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
I just got the Speeddot 135. Seemed like it did the same thing and was $50 cheaper.

I don't like how the rheostat dial is on top of the 135.  And I would prefer having one mounting ring instead of two like the 135.  It gives me more flexibility in mounting options.  So, its not really the same thing
Link Posted: 5/15/2005 5:20:07 PM EDT
[#37]
I meant it seemed to do the same thing. As in same function. I agree the mounting and knobs are different. Is there really an internal difference between the two.  I preferred the mounting of the 135 for my storm. I wanted it low so I could cowitness.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:27:32 AM EDT
[#38]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Got bad news for ya. The Burris appears to be the same as the SPOT, but for more money.

www.ar15.com/forums/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=235860

C4

I would beat it is like the Bushnell and EoTech.  Bushnell just puts their name on it.

Are you posting while again?  I'm tripping over your spelling and am not sure whether to correct you on this last statement or not...

Bushnell does not put their name on EOTech's products.  AFAIK, bushnell designed the holosight and EOTech was formed to build the more rugged version for the military and LE community.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but at least spell the response correcly.  thanks.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:49:33 AM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Are you posting while again?  I'm tripping over your spelling and am not sure whether to correct you on this last statement or not...

Bushnell does not put their name on EOTech's products.  AFAIK, bushnell designed the holosight and EOTech was formed to build the more rugged version for the military and LE community.  Correct me if I'm wrong, but at least spell the response correcly.  thanks.

IIRC Bushnell may have designed the first Holosight, but EOTech builds them all now.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 8:59:58 AM EDT
[#40]
I was reading up on the xtreme speeddot,, and it says that it has an adjustable dot from 3MOA to 11MOA.  Is this true?  I have a feeling maybe I am just reading this wrong.

Don
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:10:10 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:
I was reading up on the xtreme speeddot,, and it says that it has an adjustable dot from 3MOA to 11MOA.  Is this true?  I have a feeling maybe I am just reading this wrong.

Don

No.  It does not have an adjustable dot.  It is a fixed 3MOA dot with 11 brightness settings
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:17:21 AM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
No.  It does not have an adjustable dot.  It is a fixed 3MOA dot with 11 brightness settings

Looks good sydney, thanks for the review. Who has the best price?? Ive always like burris products, might have to give it a try.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 9:38:12 AM EDT
[#43]

Quoted:
Another Aimpoint copy?

Yup, it seems to be all the rage these days, look, Burris has made a Leupold clone.

Notice how it has a lens on each end of a tube, and knobs for adjusting stuff.

Something has to be done about the recent rash of Clonery.  
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 11:29:18 AM EDT
[#44]
That's funny right there. I don't care who ya are.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 12:26:56 PM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:
Really don't give a rats ass about aimpoint in this discussion, I would like to hear first hand what the Speeddot can or cannot do based on its own merits from someone who actually has one. This is the real point of this thread.

+1

Keep us up to date on how the new Speeddot is working for you.  We want details!  How are the adjustments?, easy to zero?, keep a zero?  Thanks!

Sarge
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 3:19:05 PM EDT
[#46]
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:08:05 PM EDT
[#47]
The pics look great. I really do like your rig (nice doggie). I still use the QRP and like it as well but by posting pics of one the fashion police here will have to severely beat you down. I LIKE that optic. Keep us updated on how it's doing for you.
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 4:30:15 PM EDT
[#48]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Another Aimpoint copy?

Yup, it seems to be all the rage these days, look, Burris has made a Leupold clone.

www.scopesnmore.com/riflescopes4less/images/SNM%20Product%20Images/Burris%20Compact%20L.gif

Notice how it has a lens on each end of a tube, and knobs for adjusting stuff.

Something has to be done about the recent rash of Clonery.  

Link Posted: 5/16/2005 6:33:47 PM EDT
[#49]
I've been thinking about picking up a Burris Xtreme, name be damned, and really appreciate someone coming out with a review, partial or otherwise.

Like a lot of folks, I am not a hsld dude and simply want an optic that I can shoot with.  I won't be swimming with my rifle any time soon.

Is the Burris using a chevron reticle or simple dot?  Is it a dot-in-a-circle reticle reminiscent of the holosights?  Does it have any type of bullet-drop gauge built in?  What is the projected battery life?

Will the aimpoint 3x magnifier work in conjunction?

It's definitely a sexy optic and I'm looking forward to hearing more.  For around $200, I can get one of those next month!
Link Posted: 5/16/2005 7:19:49 PM EDT
[#50]

Quoted:
I've been thinking about picking up a Burris Xtreme, name be damned, and really appreciate someone coming out with a review, partial or otherwise.

Like a lot of folks, I am not a hsld dude and simply want an optic that I can shoot with.  I won't be swimming with my rifle any time soon.

Is the Burris using a chevron reticle or simple dot?  
Just a dot.

Is it a dot-in-a-circle reticle reminiscent of the holosights?
Nope, just a 3 MOA dot.

Does it have any type of bullet-drop gauge built in?  
Nope, just a single dot (do you see a pattern here?)

What is the projected battery life?
Can't remember.  Not advertised on Burris' website, but IIRC, as reported in previous threads  it's measured in hundreds of hours.  Not sure if at brightest setting or mid-setting.

Will the aimpoint 3x magnifier work in conjunction?
Don't know for certain, but my guess would be yes.  IMHO the key would be to get proper mounts for both devices so everything lines up.  If it were up to me, I'd select my magnifier mount (Aimpoint twist, Samson or LT) first and then pick a complementary mount for the sight. In so doing I'm assuming you could get mounts that allow cowitness.  Rear BUIS would have to be a folder if you are considering the magnifier.  I'm also thinking with this setup you'd need to go either "cantilever" or handguard-mounted for the optic so you'd get proper eye relief with the magnifier and BUIS mounted.  Grant or other dealers with hands-on usage should chime in though, don't go by what I've posted, but I am curious if my assumptions are valid.

It's definitely a sexy optic and I'm looking forward to hearing more.  For around $200, I can get one of those next month!
Don't forget to factor in mount costs.  The red dot price does not include the mount.

Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 3
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top