Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Site Notices
Posted: 9/12/2010 10:37:02 AM EDT
I have a very nice REECE style AR with a Noveske barrel it can clearly out shoot me, and it REALLY can out shoot my eye's I need magnification but want to keep the CQC ability of my Strikefire.

I have searched and checked every thread in the optics section.... Is this thing good enough to satisfy a guy who can't afford a ACOG/Doc combo? Half the price and adjustable.... I assume the ACOG is more durable but after that?

Any suggestions as to options if there is something better out there that isn't an ACOG/DOC combo.

As allways I am greatfull for any advice recieved. Thank You.

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 11:28:18 AM EDT
[#1]
Excellent choice for a Recce however, I'd put the FF on a DD 1 o'clock offset mount and the XTR in a LT-139/SPR-E. This is a much more natural transition rather than going from cheek weld to "chin weld" trying to use the FF on ring caps.

My Recce in current form minus vfg

Old post-ban Recce'ish rifle

Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:36:20 PM EDT
[#2]
I've never messed with a site/optic at an angle like that.... I gotta see how that feels, so when you transition to CQC you just rotate the rifle about 45*? How does that figure with recoil and muzzle rise? I gotta look into that.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:44:10 PM EDT
[#3]
There are a lot of people who run offset red dots and irons in competitive shooting matches and I haven't heard many complain about the recoil/muzzle rise. I really never used my FF often at all which is why I sold it but before getting rid of it I tried soooo many different configurations, placements, and mounts and found the DD 1 o'clock mount to work best by far. The transition to the offset FF feels very natural since your head stays in the same spot you just turn the gun about 30degrees+/-.
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 12:56:29 PM EDT
[#4]
I read that the XTR 14 is a true 1x and can be used almost like a Red Dot. What are your thoughts on that? Should I not even bother with getting the FF or maybe just get a cheapo one to see how I feel about it?
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:10:20 PM EDT
[#5]
That is exactly the reason I got rid of the FF. The XTR is so nice to use on 1x w/ both eyes open that the FF was useless for me, YMMV. Even scopes that aren't a true 1x can be used with both eyes open almost like a red dot but with the XTR's large FOV and large exit pupil it's great!
Link Posted: 9/12/2010 3:59:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Me thinks I am closer to getting one then...... Just need another couple of hundred.... 2-3 weeks.....
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top