Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Posted: 3/28/2009 7:45:20 AM EDT
I have a 20" flat-top AR. I've been looking at optic setups for it and have started looking at Burris stuff because I can actually afford it. Now, my thoughts is to get an AR-332 for covering short-to-mid range shots with the 3x scope and on the top picatinny mounts mounting a Burris Fastfire II. the AR-332 would also act as a needed riser for the MRD.

This would allow a combo similar to an ACOG with a Mini-Dr. Optic sight mounted on top. While I'd love to afford the $1700 for the ACOG/Dr. sight setup, I can make due with this combo at $550.

Anybody have thoughts on the feasibility of this setup?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 7:59:17 AM EDT
[#1]
That's what I plan on doing with my midlength. But instead of the Fastfire, I bought TNVC's red dot, and I am very happy with it.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 8:26:55 AM EDT
[#2]
Similar to my plan. I'm going to be using a scope with greater magnification, though (at least 6X).
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 9:10:24 AM EDT
[#3]
I'm still sorting out the MRD thing. There's TNVC, Burris, JP, Dr., Pride Fowler and I still have research to do before I pick one up.

The TNVC one is cheaper, although I'm trying to walk the line between less expensive and cheap. Why did you choose the TNVC MRDS?
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:01:09 PM EDT
[#4]
I went through many configurations of my XTR-14 and FastFire combo.

The railed ring caps, whether on the front or rear ring, sit the FF too high. The transition is quick but not natural.
The farther forward you put the FF the tougher it is to pick up the dot quickly.
I tried it on the quad rail, but turning the rifle 90deg is not natural or smooth.
I picked up the DD 1 o'clock offset mount and tried it on the rails but that is still awkward being forward of the receiver.
I put the DD mount in the receiver, putting the FF on the right side right behind the shell deflector and that works perfectly! It is a quick, smooth transition, only requiring you to rotate/cant the rifle about 30deg.

Front ring cap:

Rear ring cap:

DD 1 o'clock offset mount:

Obviously these are my preferences and the XTR332 may be different but this should give you some things to think about.
Link Posted: 3/28/2009 2:59:59 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Why did you choose the TNVC MRDS?

He's a site sponsor, the price was right, and of the few reports I have seen on them, they were very well liked.
Page AR-15 » Optics, Mounts, and Sights
AR Sponsor: bravocompany
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top